Subject: Can Cloaked Mines be placed on an Obstacle? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Kitchin
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can Cloaked Mines be placed on an Obstacle?

For example, in OP3 could I place Cloaked Mines on top of the planet token? (reflecting that it is actually a 3D sphere)

So far I don't see anything indicating 'no.'

I can imagine trying this if the enemy proximity prevents a better Cloaked Mine location in space or if I want to deter the enemy from leapfrogging the planet.

thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sowerby
msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm going to say no to this. If a ship cannot stop on top of an obstacle, then you cannot place a template on it either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Benhart
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can drop Antimatter Mines on an obstacle. I don't see why you couldn't do the same with Cloaked Mines.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kitchin
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davedujour wrote:
You can drop Antimatter Mines on an obstacle. I don't see why you couldn't do the same with Cloaked Mines.

If this also turns out to be the official answer, then my follow up question would be: what about overlapping obstacles such as debris fields that ships can also overlap?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kitchin
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davedujour wrote:

If so, I don't see this mentioned in the FAQ thread yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geremy
United States
SoCal
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheLimey wrote:
I'm going to say no to this. If a ship cannot stop on top of an obstacle, then you cannot place a template on it either.

So if you land on an asteroid field obstacle (that is not a ship or planet), do you back up so you are touching it like a planet or ship?

Page 22, "When overlapping an Obstacle, the ship stays where it lands..."

ships and planets on the other hand can not be overlapped unless there is a special condition that states otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geremy
United States
SoCal
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
paulsk wrote:
davedujour wrote:

If so, I don't see this mentioned in the FAQ thread yet.

If a ship can overlap the object in question, I feel a mine can also.

But that is my opinion, maybe the powers that be may chime in...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geremy
United States
SoCal
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
paulsk wrote:
davedujour wrote:

If this also turns out to be the official answer, then my follow up question would be: what about overlapping obstacles such as debris fields that ships can also overlap?

IMO yes, and would roll for the effects of each obstacle individually. Also, a ship targeted and fired at through the double obstacle will receive 2 agility.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sowerby
msg tools
mbmbmb
Scout762 wrote:
TheLimey wrote:

So if you land on an asteroid field obstacle (that is not a ship or planet), do you back up so you are touching it like a planet or ship?

Page 22, "When overlapping an Obstacle, the ship stays where it lands..."

ships and planets on the other hand can not be overlapped unless there is a special condition that states otherwise.

Whoops, that's more what I should be saying.

In the case of a planet, I still feel you shouldn't be able to place mines on it. You can fly over it, you cannot stop on it.

For other obstacles, it remains to be seen, as you can stop on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Quixotic Games: www.quixoticgames.com
badge
Dungeon Alliance: Available Now!
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe we ruled a short time ago that Mines could be placed on top of anything within the limitations specified on the card.

Andrew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kitchin
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrew Parks wrote:
I believe we ruled a short time ago that Mines could be placed on top of anything within the limitations specified on the card.

Andrew

great, thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sowerby
msg tools
mbmbmb
Andrew Parks wrote:

Andrew

So they can be placed on a planet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristoff Bergenholm
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheLimey wrote:
Andrew Parks wrote:

Andrew

So they can be placed on a planet?

Does the card disallow them from being placed on a planet? shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sowerby
msg tools
mbmbmb
Magentawolf wrote:

Does the card disallow them from being placed on a planet? shake

I don't honestly know, as I don't have the card. I'm just not certain I like the answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristoff Bergenholm
United States
Millersville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheLimey wrote:

I don't honestly know, as I don't have the card. I'm just not certain I like the answer.

In that case, yes, they can be placed on top of a planet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Tsuk
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can put cloaked mines on top of anything so long as some part of the token is within range two of the ship placing them and no part of the token is within two of an enemy ship. So on the planet is just fine, assuming it doesn't violate the range restrictions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.