Popular Tags: [View All]
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got the game last week. I have read through the rules and I am starting to get the hang of it, just a little. I have the game set up and I am playing through it on my own with a Dino 2-teeth and a Mammalian 5-teeth players.

QUESTION ONE: "Just because you start out as a TWO-TEETH dino, that doesn't mean you are a carnivore? Because your Archetype Placeholder has no DNA on it at the start does that mean I can buy a Mutation card with the DNA G on it? (or because I am 2-teeth I have to buy mutations with SS or S or M or A or N?)"

QUESTION TWO: "The only way to move to a different Biome is to do the Expand Action?" There is no just moving to the next tile is there? So, the animal that starts off on the HOME Biome never leaves?

QUESTION THREE: "If you are a Carnivore and you Expand and place a new animal on the board, and do Migration what tiles can you move to?" Does there have to be another player's herbivore or an immigrant herbivore there to prey on for you to move there? OR IS IT SIMPLY the DNA you have in your placeholder and if it matches the requirements on the Biome tile you are fine?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Douglass
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
#1 No animals start off as a carnivore, its just with two teeth you have an advantage as a carnivore if you choose to become one later in the game.

#2 Yes, you never move your animals from squares they are currently in. On the back of the rulebook this is listed as one of the commonly missed rules.

#3 When you expand, your animal can be either a carnivore or an herbivore, which might seem a little weird. Its just that if they are a carnivore in one square and an herbivore in another, that just means that species is an omnivore, so no rules are broken.

I hope these answers are right, I am currently playing a four person game by myself and recently re-read the rulebook but I don't have it with me at the moment. So I am pretty confident, but Phil will likely be by to double check.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarification. I was kind of figuring that out though the rules really don't state that clearly you are both predator and prey depending on the spot.

ALSO, If I Expand my animal to a new tile and there is a herbivore there on the Biome, can I IGNORE the DNA requirements for that Biome if I am going to be the predator and place myself in the upper triangle? (I assume not, I assume you still have to meet the requirements of the tile regardless if you are predator or not).

Thanks again for all the help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Eklund
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden W├╝rtenberg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
knickpoint wrote:
#1 No animals start off as a carnivore, its just with two teeth you have an advantage as a carnivore if you choose to become one later in the game.

#2 Yes, you never move your animals from squares they are currently in. On the back of the rulebook this is listed as one of the commonly missed rules.

#3 When you expand, your animal can be either a carnivore or an herbivore, which might seem a little weird. Its just that if they are a carnivore in one square and an herbivore in another, that just means that species is an omnivore, so no rules are broken.

I hope these answers are right, I am currently playing a four person game by myself and recently re-read the rulebook but I don't have it with me at the moment. So I am pretty confident, but Phil will likely be by to double check.
I agree with Professor Douglass...aka Dr. Erosion. A bit of background on question #3, in the predecessor game American Megafauna, only the pure mammalian player could be "omnivorous" (i.e. have species that are both carnivores and herbivores at the same time). In Bios Megafauna, all the players have this ability (done for play balance).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Phil.

Another clarification. Biome tiles with MM on them are Sea Biomes, correct? Are those the only tiles you consider sea biomes? (Assuming I am correct above, an animal with MM can cross all tiles with MM or M).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared VZ
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
mb
The DNA requirements of the Biome should only be important to the predator if there is a migration obstacle (see 11.1 of the Rules). Animals with no M DNA may not enter sea biome or slots, unless they can fly and Animals with 2 or more M DNA may not enter land habitats or slots unless they can fly (I've never had a flying whale, but I read somewhere that it's possible)-American Megafauna had rules for shore feeding that were not carried over to BM. After checking for migration obstacles, the predator only needs to be concerned with prey suitability and carnivore contests, not the DNA requirements of the biome, in order to stay alive at the time of migration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared VZ
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
mb
Biomes that are Blue are sea biomes - see 2.4 of the rules. Some of these only have one M on them. An animal with MM should be able to cross all (Blue) Sea Biomes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
JV13 wrote:
The DNA requirements of the Biome should only be important to the predator if there is a migration obstacle (see 11.1 of the Rules). Animals with no M DNA may not enter sea biome or slots, unless they can fly and Animals with 2 or more M DNA may not enter land habitats or slots unless they can fly (I've never had a flying whale, but I read somewhere that it's possible)-American Megafauna had rules for shore feeding that were not carried over to BM. After checking for migration obstacles, the predator only needs to be concerned with prey suitability and carnivore contests, not the DNA requirements of the biome, in order to stay alive at the time of migration.

Okay, cool. Good to know.

So, just thinking this through of possible tactics. A predator could Expand into your biome (a biome he doesn't have the DNA requirements for) where you have a herbivore. He is placed on the upper triangle and is "feeding" off of you, so then on your turn you decide to Expand as well and replace that herbivore with a new animal and place him in the predator triangle with the other predator and thus would set off a carnivore culling. And even if you don't win, and get beat by the other predator, he would die, be removed as well, since there is no prey left to eat, correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Williams
United States
Gahanna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JV13 wrote:
Biomes that are Blue are sea biomes - see 2.4 of the rules. Some of these only have one M on them. An animal with MM should be able to cross all (Blue) Sea Biomes.
When Greenhouse is above 800PPM, all empty spots are also water.
Quote:
QUESTION TWO: --EDIT-- So, the animal that starts off on the HOME Biome never leaves?

While it is possible, I suspect that won't be the case. Because expand comes in two variants...
1. Expand the same archetype to another location within migration range.
2. Expand to a new archetype within migration range, including the homeland slot.

In the later case, you could cause the starting archetype to become a predator of the new archetype, or make it go extinct if it isn't anywhere else on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
patton55 wrote:

So, just thinking this through of possible tactics. A predator could Expand into your biome (a biome he doesn't have the DNA requirements for) where you have a herbivore. He is placed on the upper triangle and is "feeding" off of you, so then on your turn you decide to Expand as well and replace that herbivore with a new animal and place him in the predator triangle with the other predator and thus would set off a carnivore culling. And even if you don't win, and get beat by the other predator, he would die, be removed as well, since there is no prey left to eat, correct?

Culling contests are held to determine who survives - in your example, there is no contest per se because neither can survive as a predator with no herbivore (or rooter) to feed on; they're just both removed *unless* the predator can also adapt to being a herbivore (or rooter) in the same biome, then it survives and shifts to that location.

However, I don't think it's a legal play in the first place to create a new animal which will then automatically be removed just to cause the removal of an opponent's animal. Perhaps someone else can confirm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve Carey wrote:
patton55 wrote:

Culling contests are held to determine who survives - in your example, there is no contest per se because neither can survive as a predator with no herbivore (or rooter) to feed on; they're just both removed *unless* the predator can also adapt to being a herbivore (or rooter) in the same biome, then it survives and shifts to that location.

However, I don't think it's a legal play in the first place to create a new animal which will then automatically be removed just to cause the removal of an opponent's animal. Perhaps someone else can confirm.

Even if it isn't a legal play, on my next turn I could Genotype a new species, thus removing my Herbivore (the parent), thus leaving the Predator who moved in the turn before without a prey, thus removing that predator since there is no prey there and that predator wouldn't have DNA to survive on that tile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
When you play a card for Mutation or Genotype, does the Event on the card happen first before you decide to, let's say, use it as a mutation and add DNA to your placeholder?

For example: there is a Catastrophe event that will kill off all animals with 5 DNA or more. If I play the card for effects first I could place the animal I want to play it on with more than 5 DNA, if the catastrophe hits first, then I played it, that would make a huge difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Eklund
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden W├╝rtenberg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
patton55 wrote:
When you play a card for Mutation or Genotype, does the Event on the card happen first before you decide to, let's say, use it as a mutation and add DNA to your placeholder?

For example: there is a Catastrophe event that will kill off all animals with 5 DNA or more. If I play the card for effects first I could place the animal I want to play it on with more than 5 DNA, if the catastrophe hits first, then I played it, that would make a huge difference.

The sequence of play is mentioned in 4.2a of the Living Rules:
4.2a. Purchase and play/discard a card. Purchase one card in either of the displays per 5.0, and play it per 7.0. Then draw a new card. If it is in the Lower Display, resolve its event per 6.0, and finally use it to replenish the display.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I was playing that wrong. I was playing where you buy the car, perform the event, then use the card. So it's reversed in this game. That makes sense because before I was like, someone could decide when to initiate a catastrophe.

Thanks for the help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Williams
United States
Gahanna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to jump on the rules question bandwagon also to see if anyone else can clarify this...

1. An immigrant that has both B and H DNA goes goes to tile with B herbivore and H rooter triangle.... which would it go to?

2. Would it make an difference if the player in one of the slots would win the niche?

I'm always in favor of players just deciding how they'll play in any specific game and then being consistent for the rest of that game. But I'm also curious how other's have played this rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Samuelw3 wrote:
I'm going to jump on the rules question bandwagon also to see if anyone else can clarify this...

1. An immigrant that has both B and H DNA goes goes to tile with B herbivore and H rooter triangle.... which would it go to?

2. Would it make an difference if the player in one of the slots would win the niche?

I'm always in favor of players just deciding how they'll play in any specific game and then being consistent for the rest of that game. But I'm also curious how other's have played this rule.

I thought the rules said something about Immigrants will go to the lowest Biome # that they can survive on (it is either lowest or highest # Biome for the order of tiles it would go to).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.