Subject: Is there any hope for this game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I backed this on Kickstarter (unfortunately) but haven't opened it yet because I read that the rules will be pretty useless anyways.

Is there any hope for revised rules to make this a good game, or should I just scrap it for parts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Gagnon
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, like everything so far about this game and it's producer, I'm waiting at least until the remainder of the KS stuff comes in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian
Germany
Mülheim an der Ruhr
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To be honest (and disappointed), I do not think so. In most threads I have read the designer does not seem to understand the problems at all. Often I have read things link "it clear in the rules", "this is obvious" and so on. Please do not get me wrong, folks. I do not want to judge, no offense intended. I am simply disappointed because I was really looking forward to that game.

I only played it once and our problem has not been the actual rules. For us the game and its different mechanics simply do not work/do not fit together. It will be difficult for me to get my friends and this game to the table again.

But I am curious, what are you gonna do with this shrinkwrapped copy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Stocks
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I dont think Elad has any intention of re-writing the rules. It sounds like the rules for his other two games are fairly bad as well. I'm hanging on to it until all of the extras come out to see if I can salvage something from this. Needless to say I've been put of kickstarter for games, I can wait until people start getting the games and buy it in stores if it ends up being good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe before the campaign ended I saw some responses from the designer that were dismissive of people's concerns about rule clarity, etc. I should have backed out right then and there.

As somebody always tempted by pre-painted minis, I was tempted by them, but I was a bit uneasy about this project *and* they couldn't even tell me what the minis would be used for exactly, so fortunately I didn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Cheektowaga
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I canceled by pledge of City Council because of the lack of any worthwhile updates here on this game. The way it seems I am just going to avoid any further games by this publisher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marion
msg tools
Just do it !
badge
Enjoy Life.
mbmbmb
There is some hope, I hope.....

I am bidding for a complete game-walkthrough for this game from

Michael Wißner
Germany
Augsburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

here: Jack Vasel Memorial Fund Auction - 2013 - CLOSED - TIME TO PAY AND SHIP!
(page 5)

Michael is excellent in explaining games and I really really hope that I win this because otherwise I will give this game away....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kirkbauer wrote:

Is there any hope for revised rules to make this a good game, or should I just scrap it for parts?

I think there's plenty of scope for revised rules which fix the game and turn it into an OK worker-placement-cum-dungeon-crawler... but I think I'd agree with the other guys here that there's pretty much zero chance of those rules coming from the original designer.

As an aside, did anyone look over City Council? I had a quick glance through the rulebook recently 'cause BGG was running a contest on it, and it looked incredibly familiar in a few ways...

I have considered the possibility of trying to 'fix' this game myself, 'cause I'm convinced there's a fun game in there. But in the nearly three months since we tried it, I've not yet managed to convince myself that it's more worthwhile than trying to design my own games from scratch. :/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cwikla

Burbank
California
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Bichatse wrote:
I have considered the possibility of trying to 'fix' this game myself, 'cause I'm convinced there's a fun game in there.

I feel the same way. The blend of worker placement and dungeon crawl really appeals to me and I like to think that a few creative tweaks can make this game shine. Tweaks or major rewrite using same components. I always intend to try taking a look at it to see what I would fix but never manage to, hoping someone else better than I has the chance to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malte Kühle
Germany
Landau (Pfalz)
flag msg tools
designer
Bonn - Forever loved!
badge
It is not enough to win - everyone else must also lose
mbmbmbmbmb
I decided to use the game for my new prototype "Dragon's breed". It was the biggest board I could get ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Ardianto
Indonesia
DKI Jakarta - Jakarta Utara
flag msg tools
badge
https://www.facebook.com/gopopnow
mbmbmbmbmb
The game alone does not deserve the lack of rules clarity and designer's full support.
I think with a small effort you guys can manage to pull yourself house rules to begin with.
I enjoyed the game so far, though it's not for everyone's taste.

For me, it has some hidden gem gene in it and is surely worth keeping in my collection.

And yes I hope the designer (eventually) can manage to address the issues in the near future.
Some BGG users already tried to make a revised rules, so it helps to get the game into the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
miloboy gogogo
Thailand
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
May be if everyone post it here

about 1 thread daily arrrh

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamedesigner/60738/elad-goldst...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Llewellyn
United Kingdom
Telford
Shropshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kirkbauer wrote:
......................I should have backed out right then and there........ *and* they couldn't even tell me what the minis would be used for exactly.....

Erm, what mini's ? meeple
What dungeon crawl game ? zombie
What expansions ? ninja
What kickstarter stretch goals ? only dissapointment. soblue

I have hashed the rules together from various places on BGG, but have been waiting for the expansions to see if they fix the problem of the builder guild being the strongest guild......Still waiting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lafrance
Canada
Sainte-Julie
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok say the right things (and excuse my English it's not my first language):

1- I was supposed to have the game in Essen 2012... When I arrived to the booth the guy that speak to his phone cell had no interest to answer me, say after 15 minutes that he send me an e-mail (1 day ago..........) to say that they have problem with the shipping and that he didn't has my game.

2- I received the game 6 months (or more) after with ups (I pay 45$ for the custom...) and I did not receive the expansion.....

3- I write to the guy of the company, they said they are very sorry and that they will give the next game they do, free!!!!

4- Now I had bad rules, pay almost 100$ for a very bad games with no expansion, the next game they do, I'm sure it will be very very very poor!!!

5- I'm sad, not for my money, but with the fact that guys like that will cut the confidence necessary between buyers and sellers for kickstarters.

6- Last years I paid about 1500$ and kickstarter, that years 250$ and that experience (with some others too!), don't help me to continue to encourage kickstarter games.

7- Honestly, the best think to do is waiting until the game is fund and it's really a good game, we will have it in your retailers.

8- I'm sorry about what i just said, but experiences like this (and i'm sad to say that that's not the only very bad experiences that i had with kickstarter games)are very good reasons to don't trust somebody that have no reputation on the community.

9- The problem with what I just said, is that i'm sure that if everybody think like me we miss good games with responsible persons...

10- But I already give, that your turn. REALLY SORRY!

11- I will continue to pay more for P500 on GMT, that's my contribution for good games. Because that company is respectable.............................................................................................................................................................................................................

A guy that like and respect games until 1979.

Eric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Corey Jr.
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
www.thecubistpodcast.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm working on a cleaned-up ruleset right now, based on my obsessive crawling through the forums looking for rules clarifications. There's a really good game in this box, but I agree that the rules as printed don't do it any favors. I hope to have something uploaded today that make the game enjoyable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Lee
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Shouldn't there be a board, or pieces or something to Jenga?
mbmbmbmbmb
Dourgrim wrote:
I'm working on a cleaned-up ruleset right now, based on my obsessive crawling through the forums looking for rules clarifications. There's a really good game in this box, but I agree that the rules as printed don't do it any favors. I hope to have something uploaded today that make the game enjoyable.

How is progress on the cleaned-up ruleset?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.