Recommend
6 
 Thumb up
 Hide
44 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Thematic Games» Forums » General

Subject: Looking for solo dungeon crawl with a fantasy theme rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Bocketti
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey,

I typically play Descent 2nd edition with a group and I really like that game. I have games like Pathfinder ACG and LOTR LCG, that I can solo with but I would like to have something that is not deck building and similar in components to descent but that is good for 1 player. Any recommendations. I prefer the fantasy theme like Descent, and really don't care for Science Fiction.

Thanks
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just curious, I see you own Legend of Drizzt and have played it once, but haven't ranked it yet. What's your opinion of it? It pretty much meets the criteria of what you're looking for, as do the other games in that series, Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game and Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon Board Game.

I also like fantasy themes, so I was really surprised that I liked Gears of War: The Board Game so much. It is a gem of a solo game, and doubles as a great cooperative game in your collection, too. I like the D&D boardgames, but I think GoW outshines them as far as tension, meaningful decisions, smooth gameplay, and AI go.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Cook
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmb
I think Avalon games http://www.avalon-games.com/ do a series of solo quests for the Pathfinder RPG which may be what you are looking for
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Bocketti
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
foxfan wrote:
Just curious, I see you own Legend of Drizzt and have played it once, but haven't ranked it yet. What's your opinion of it? It pretty much meets the criteria of what you're looking for, as do the other games in that series, Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game and Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon Board Game.

I also like fantasy themes, so I was really surprised that I liked Gears of War: The Board Game so much. It is a gem of a solo game, and doubles as a great cooperative game in your collection, too. I like the D&D boardgames, but I think GoW outshines them as far as tension, meaningful decisions, smooth gameplay, and AI go.


Yes, I do own the Legend of Drizzt. I have played it maybe a handful of times. I love the books as does my fiance, that is why she bought me the game for Xmas last year.

I really don't find that game that engaging. Also more than a couple of the quests need another player. I personally find that game rather flat.

Now I know I said I don't like the Sci-Fi theme, but GoW was one of my favorite xbox games. Actually my buddy, who I would like to get into board gaming loves GoW also. So perhaps this would be a good fit.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Bocketti
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rovert Fugazi wrote:
I think Avalon games http://www.avalon-games.com/ do a series of solo quests for the Pathfinder RPG which may be what you are looking for


That looks very interesting. Have you played it before?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mustardayonnaiz wrote:
foxfan wrote:
Just curious, I see you own Legend of Drizzt and have played it once, but haven't ranked it yet. What's your opinion of it? It pretty much meets the criteria of what you're looking for, as do the other games in that series, Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game and Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon Board Game.

I also like fantasy themes, so I was really surprised that I liked Gears of War: The Board Game so much. It is a gem of a solo game, and doubles as a great cooperative game in your collection, too. I like the D&D boardgames, but I think GoW outshines them as far as tension, meaningful decisions, smooth gameplay, and AI go.


Yes, I do own the Legend of Drizzt. I have played it maybe a handful of times. I love the books as does my fiance, that is why she bought me the game for Xmas last year.

I really don't find that game that engaging. Also more than a couple of the quests need another player. I personally find that game rather flat.

Now I know I said I don't like the Sci-Fi theme, but GoW was one of my favorite xbox games. Actually my buddy, who I would like to get into board gaming loves GoW also. So perhaps this would be a good fit.



It's worth a look IMHO, but be warned, it can be brutal. A good hurt, but nonetheless, a hurt!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Piloka
msg tools
Nothing I can think of meets your exact qualifications besides the d and d game (they are really basic) but these are some fantasy games I have a good time with solo:

Mage knight the board game
legends of andor
runebound second edition: ( need to google mr skeletors solo rules)
mice and mystics



ps i know it is sci fi but gears of war is also very fun.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
josh willhite
United States
La Junta
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Myth is coming out soon too.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dunno about the theme but I was just reading about QQ and you might look it over; Quick Quest
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lefebvre
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I agree with foxfan. I've played both Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game and Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game as well as Gears of War: The Board Game. I enjoyed GoW quite a lot more. As stated above, it's a tough game to beat.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dickon V
United States
Dover Foxcroft
Maine
flag msg tools
I throw my vote in for GoW. I was one of my first board games since I loved the video games. It's still my favorite solo game.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Bocketti
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
joeyjojo702 wrote:
Nothing I can think of meets your exact qualifications besides the d and d game (they are really basic) but these are some fantasy games I have a good time with solo:

Mage knight the board game
legends of andor
runebound second edition: ( need to google mr skeletors solo rules)
mice and mystics



ps i know it is sci fi but gears of war is also very fun.


I know a lot of people like Mage Knight, so I was considering that.

My fiance and I play Mice and Mystics, I really like it, but I am looking for more depth.

I have Legends of Andor, I played it maybe 3 times, we absolutely hated it. I might have to give it another try though.....

But it seems GoW keeps coming up...so might seriously consider that.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EnderWizard
United States
Niskayuna
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mustardayonnaiz wrote:
But it seems GoW keeps coming up...so might seriously consider that.


And count this as yet another vote for Gears of Wars. No, it isn't fantasy themed but it's one of the best, if not THE best, dungeon crawler type game that can be played solo.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Pathfinder Adventure Card Game.

Seriously stop looking for something else and go buy PACG. I play ALOT of games solo and the two I recommend most are:'

1. Pathfinder Adventure Card Game
2. Robinson Crusoe


If I had to live on a deserted Island and could only take 2 games with me, I'm taking those 2.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Bocketti
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
skyzero wrote:
Pathfinder Adventure Card Game.

Seriously stop looking for something else and go buy PACG. I play ALOT of games solo and the two I recommend most are:'

1. Pathfinder Adventure Card Game
2. Robinson Crusoe


If I had to live on a deserted Island and could only take 2 games with me, I'm taking those 2.


I have the Pathfinder ACG, it says so in the second sentence I typed whistle

I love that game, I do play a lot with my fiance, we just finished Skinsaw Murder. I also have two 3-player solo games going with that too! It is fun but I was looking for something similar to Descent in depth. That isn't too deep, though it is super fun!

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Aceto
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Two suggestions, from Victory Point Games. Don't know if zombies are of interest. Both have video reviews on their BGG pages so you can watch and get a feel for them. DotZ is a classic in my opinion.

Darkest Night (First edition)

Dawn of the Zeds (Second edition)



5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Zouave wrote:
Two suggestions, from Victory Point Games. Don't know if zombies are of interest. Both have video reviews on their BGG pages so you can watch and get a feel for them. DotZ is a classic in my opinion.

Darkest Night (First edition)

Dawn of the Zeds (Second edition)





+1 to what Paul mentioned. Dawn of the Zeds is the most fun and creates quite a story.

+1 also for Gears of War.

I really want to try Darkest Night.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Aceto
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing that Darkest Night has in common with a lot of games than are designed to be multi-player but can be played solo - it can get a bit fiddly. By that I mean that you play four different characters, each with their own sets of cards and powers, so you are flipping through a lot of cards each turn, and trying to keep them all separate both in your mind and on the table.

A game like Dawn of the Zeds has you focusing on just one set of actions, which I think leads to a more immersive experience.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Monroe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeons & Dragons Computer Labyrinth Game
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Defense
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
If you're soloing ... seems like PC games are the way to go ... Skyrim, Grimrock, etc., etc.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
Gloom of Kilforth reprint Kickstarter Sept 29-Oct 31
badge
Gloom of Kilforth reprint Kickstarter Sept 29-Oct 31
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
robbydee wrote:
If you're soloing ... seems like PC games are the way to go ... Skyrim, Grimrock, etc., etc.


I think you're on the wrong website mate - he's asking about board games.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I can only repeat previous recommendations: The D&D adventure board games and Mice & Mystics are suitable for solitaire dungeon crawling fun. M&M has the far better story whilst D&D does not require you to control four characters at once (usually two).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Look at me!
badge
Get Schwifty!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The one thing I will point out about Mage Knight Board Game is that there is a little bit of deck building, but it happens during the game, not prior. Otherwise it's probably the closest thing to what you're looking for.

I also stumbled across a game on here called Dungeon Crawler that looked intriguing. I decided against it since the reviews were hit or miss, but it's also a solo dungeon crawl in card game form.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Bocketti
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I just wanted to say a quick thanks for all the responses.

I have yet to get Mage knight and Gears, which I think best suits what I was trying to accomplish. I have recently started playing the Drizzt game again, and taking some time away from it and playing again gave me a real sense of appreciation for its simplicity and really fun game play.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mustardayonnaiz wrote:
I just wanted to say a quick thanks for all the responses.

I have yet to get Mage knight and Gears, which I think best suits what I was trying to accomplish. I have recently started playing the Drizzt game again, and taking some time away from it and playing again gave me a real sense of appreciation for its simplicity and really fun game play.



You're welcome, glad to know Drizzt is fun, I have Ravenloft and enjoy it, but I hear Drizzt and Ashardalon are both even better than Ravenloft. As for Gears of War, I think it outshines them but I seem to recall it being a little pricey, there's no harm in milking Drizzt for all it's worth before spending 70 or so bucks on GoW.

If you find something else not mentioned, come back here and share your experience with the rest of us!!!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.