Tyler DeLisle
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys and girls! I apologize ahead of time, I remember reading a similar thread months ago, but my search-fu is lacking.

This is my first time attending a boardgame convention. I live in Dallas, but couldn't get time off of work, so I'll only be visiting nights on Wednesday through Friday regardless.

My inquiry is just on people's thoughts on driving to and from the Con each day on Saturday and Sunday? I live 30 minutes away, traffic can be pretty awful, but not so much on weekends.

Any reasons why this would sound like a really bad idea? I remember the last thread some people saying that they liked to retreat to their room for breaks and naps between gaming. I think I'm still young enough to not need naps that badly, hah. Then again, I've never really done gaming marathons of this magnitude. The official hotel is booked up, so I wouldn't have the convenience of a bed an elevator away anyway.

Just looking for opinions from experienced convention goers who have maybe attended a Con in their area before, if there is a reason why I should be looking for a roommate for at least Saturday, maybe Friday night. I've been debating it in my head, and haven't been sure.

I do like the idea of getting to meet new people that I'd be rooming up with, since I don't know anyone attending, but that can be a pretty huge gamble.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duffy Carter
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I drive down daily to the con from McKinney. Sounds like you're closer than that. It's totally possible, you just have to know when to not start another game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Foutz
United States
Garland
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This will be my 5th year going as a local. The first two years I drove in every day, since then I've gotten a hotel room for a couple of nights, but I still drive in on Wednesday and home Wednesday night, really the biggest thing is just DFW itself. You gotta know the best routes to the airport, and the best times too, planning around rush hour and what not. Finding the Hyatt once you get there is not too bad, parking is no problem, validating parking is supposed to be better this year too. Then it's just like Munin said, know when to call it quits and head for home before you get too tired, driving super tired is almost as bad as driving drunk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Heath
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It really entirely depends on where you are coming from. If you are coming from the west, 183 in the evenings is golden after 121. I drive it EVERY day at 70mph at 5pm.

If you are going the other way...expect 15mph tops. If you are coming from up north, it is very ugly no matter what you are doing if you don't run 190/161 down to 635 or 183.

Sat/Sun won't be any problems since you should be coming over quite early. Sunday most people are in the process of leaving in the morning so gaming won't be as easy.

I rode the DART the first two years when it was downtown and have stayed at the hotel ever since. It is just a major hassle to not have a room and to be driving home at 2-3am every night waking people up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MaxFool
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I live in Richardson. I couldn't make it this year but hope to make it next time.
Good to see some folks are from the area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Heath
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maxfool wrote:
I live in Richardson. I couldn't make it this year but hope to make it next time.

Probably as much as 30% of the attendees are from DFW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm driving from just east of Rockwall but I think next year I'll get a hotel room, maybe split it with some friends from my game group. Thank God 190 now goes all the way down to 30. Tolls will be a bitch, but worth it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am coming from the East, I'm pretty close to downtown Dallas, and I'll be driving from work right downtown on the weekdays. I totally expect that to be a painful crawl towards DFW, but I have to work, no way around that.

Sat/Sun should be fine, so I think I'll make do without a hotel room, thanks guys!

Looking forward to it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TyDeL wrote:
I am coming from the East, I'm pretty close to downtown Dallas, and I'll be driving from work right downtown on the weekdays.

If you're coming from the east in the afternoon towards downtown, traffic should be easy...right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Camp
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I decided to get a room despite living in the area mainly because I didn't want to have to worry about driving home sleepy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DCamp1976 wrote:
Personally, I decided to get a room despite living in the area mainly because I didn't want to have to worry about driving home sleepy.

I wish I had done this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
mbmbmbmbmb
maxfool wrote:

For those in the Dallas area, if you have never heard of the Dallas Games Marathon in Plano, you really should check it out. We do a 3 day mini convention every month, as well as gaming every Thursday (excluding holidays and BGG Con week) from 6pm until midnight (or later, as long as someone with a key is willing to stay). Attending Dallas Games Marathon requires either a yearly membership ($110 per year) or paying at the door ($5 on Thurdays or $20 for the DGM weekends). DGM has a library of over 800 games which is available to anyone that attends.

There is also a mid sized gaming group (10-15 people) that meets at Senor Chachos (east Richardson) every Tuesday from around 5:30pm until 9:30pm or so. Every Saturday there is open gaming at Madness Comics from around 5pm until 10 or 11 (not sure, I don't go to that one).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:
Every Saturday there is open gaming at Madness Comics from around 5pm until 10 or 11 (not sure, I don't go to that one).

Madness goes until midnight. Its a great place to play and usually easy enough to drop into a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Sheasby
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are interested in gaming at Madness Games and Comics, check out the BGG Guild for Saturday (and weekend) gaming:

Madness BGG Guild

If you are local, say hi to your North Texas gaming neighbors this week at BGG.CON. There are a lot more of us here than we realize.

I hope to see everyone at the con this week. Game On!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ssheasby wrote:
If you are interested in gaming at Madness Games and Comics, check out the BGG Guild for Saturday (and weekend) gaming:

Madness BGG Guild

If you are local, say hi to your North Texas gaming neighbors this week at BGG.CON. There are a lot more of us here than we realize.

I hope to see everyone at the con this week. Game On!

If I knew everyone's name at MGC, I'd definitely see you and know you! I feel bad that I DON'T know more people's names...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MaxFool
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:

For those in the Dallas area, if you have never heard of the Dallas Games Marathon in Plano, you really should check it out. We do a 3 day mini convention every month, as well as gaming every Thursday (excluding holidays and BGG Con week) from 6pm until midnight (or later, as long as someone with a key is willing to stay). Attending Dallas Games Marathon requires either a yearly membership ($110 per year) or paying at the door ($5 on Thurdays or $20 for the DGM weekends). DGM has a library of over 800 games which is available to anyone that attends.

There is also a mid sized gaming group (10-15 people) that meets at Senor Chachos (east Richardson) every Tuesday from around 5:30pm until 9:30pm or so. Every Saturday there is open gaming at Madness Comics from around 5pm until 10 or 11 (not sure, I don't go to that one).

Awesome!!! Thanks for the info.
I hope to make it on occasion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schott
United States
Roanoke
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TyDeL wrote:
I am coming from the East, I'm pretty close to downtown Dallas, and I'll be driving from work right downtown on the weekdays. I totally expect that to be a painful crawl towards DFW, but I have to work, no way around that.

Used to work near Regal/35E and the drive wasn't too bad. Once you get past the 114/183 split it should be relatively easy going. I would definitely take 114 north as opposed to going on 183, but that's just me. There are a couple of slower spots, but the Grapevine Connector project has helped traffic as has widening near Loop 12. I'd consider using the Inrix app for some interesting traffic details that could help you out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:

Thanks, I knew about this, I was told to attend quite a few times leading up to the convention because I was kind of chicken about the idea of just jumping on tables in a large area like this.

I should have followed up with my original plan to get in on at least one DGM weekend because my first day at BGG CON and I was too chicken to even get in on a table. It's against my nature to just sort of impose myself on others, "Hey, you guys playing a game? Mind if I jump in?"

I'll have to get over it. I spent an hour or two just walking around the main gaming hall, there were very few "looking for players" flags up. It's kind of intimidating being in a massive hall of thousands of players and you don't know a single person.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becky Duff
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got a hotel room too! YAY can't wait!! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becky Duff
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah i love DGM and go every month and every Thurs just about with my awesome boyfriend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.