Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Danny Wu
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi, first i would like to thank all the people who help and recommended games in the past. now, its close to that time where i'll make my 4th purchase or is it 5th? hmmm.. i forget.

I'm always looking to diversify my games - different theme/play, different difficulty, and # of players.

I'm running a little short in the category of two player games.

I'm looking for a light to medium difficulty game, 1 hr or less, that plays well with 2 players and good cost/value. It doesn't need to be specifically a two plaeyr game but plays well with atleast 2(such as through teh desert, caylus).

Current 2 player games i own that fits the category are lotr- confrontation, yinsh.

Games i'm thinking about buying-
- through the desert (played it once, looks good)
- Samurai (palyed it once, looks good)

Games i need help deciding with
- Jambo (heard and read good news about it, but haven't played it yet, does it have good replay value?)
- Lost cities ( played it once, it was good but i don't think it has high replay value)
- blokus ( played once - 4 players -its good.. but expensive, travel blokus is still $16. =(
- Hive ( heard things about it.. but seems expensive for somethign so small =( i'm broke.
- Fairy Tale ( never played )
- citidels ( hows two players? bummer, out of stock from thoughthammer)
- battle line (has anyone tried this??? it looks good )
- St petersburg ( my friend said its good for the first 5 plays, then it gets repetitive)

i dont think i'll need anymore gipf games for now since i have yinsh.

Please feel free to comment and add suggestions.

Thanks again -
Dwu

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AB
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the agonising 4th/5th purchase problem eh...

I only have lost cities and citadels from your list. so thought I would just say that my wife and I have had lots of fun with lost cities but citadels I think is pretty rubbish with just two, needs more player interation.

I'm also agonsing over getting many of the games you suggest particularly 'through the desert' and 'samarai' so interested in reading replies to you on this topic.

Good luck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Campbell
United States
Excelsior
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jambo - GREAT game

Lost cities - No Replay? are you kidding...this is a classic...I'll play it anytime, anywhere.

battle line - I love this game...and it's the only war-themed game I can get my wife to play.

Also look at:

Hera and Zeus
Louis XIV
Carcassonne - The Castle
Starship Catan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Blue Moon
Maelstrom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j b Goodwin

Lynchburg
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lost Cities: Very good, very replayable, but I can see getting tired of it unless you have a relief game.

Blokus: Great game, tense, replayable. Very good and social with four, but if cost is a concern, buy the two-player version. (It's not really a travel game, but it's very good and not too large.)

Citadels: I know it's heretical to say so, but I thought this was awful with two. Unless you're planning on attracting a crowd, I wouldn't buy it for two.

Other suggestions: Mystery Rummy: Jack the Ripper (really engaging); Rook (old school from the South);
Cosmic Wimpout (a great old hippy game, pocket-sized); The Very Clever Pipe Game (cheap, pocket-sized and clever, but needs a bit of table space).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talbot
Canada
Fort Smith
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
Be seeing you... -Alphonse
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Through The Desert -- Personally, I don't think this one scales very well to two players, but I've noticed others think it works best as a two-player game.

Samurai -- This scales well no matter how many players are involved. I'd highly recommend this one for two players.

Lost Cities -- If you don't think it would have high replay value, then don't bother getting it. I quite enjoy the game, and I think its replay value is easily as high as any other card game.

Blokus -- Both Blokus and Travel Blokus/Blokus Duo work for two players, although I prefer the travel version if you're only playing with two. It was designed specifically for two players, whereas the full version of Blokus works best with four.

Citadels -- Don't even bother trying this with two. It needs at least five to play well.

Battle Line -- This is a pretty good two-player game. Don't let the war theme get in your way at all, as it's a pretty flimsy theme. It's really a card game similar in concept to Lost Cities (playing cards on either side of a neutral area ala double solitaire), although it plays a bit differently. It's a lot more confrontational than Lost Cities.

St. Petersburg -- I more-or-less have to agree with your friend, but I actually got bored with this after only a couple of plays. I play it here and there on BSW, but it's not a game I'd ever buy. I know this game has its fans, but I'm definitely not one of them. It works okay as a two-player game, although I think it probably works a bit better with three or four players.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Wu
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
i'll check into the other games you've mentioned but as for
louis xiv - its too heavy and long for what i'm looking for.
blue moon - i didn't read into it, but somehow it reminds me of magic cards, and i dont want to spend more money buying expansions.

thanks so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Aldridge
United States
Moore
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Lost Cities and Battle Line. They're great games that have no replayability problems for what they are... IE short two player card games. Great for when you have some time before you need to be somewhere, great for playing during commercials, great for playing before bed, etc. Fillers. They also have a very strong "just one more" to them because they are fun, they play quickly, and you always feel like you can win the next one if you just do this one little thing different. I love them.

Also think about Roma, Mystery Rummy Case 1: Jack the Ripper and San Juan. Three more games along those same lines.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Olson
United States
Auburn
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In order of my preference...although I enjoy all of these games listed...

For Only 2 players:

Battle Line (Best 2-player game in my opinion.)
Blue Moon (I know it's not on your list, good even without expansions)
Fairy Tale (but if you play with more occasioanlly, this is #1 on my list. better with more players)
Travel Blokus (Like the full version better, but this is better for 2)
Lost Cities (Fun, but didn't capture my fancy like other games have)
Citadels (Wasn't high on the 2-player game)
Hive (ok game, but too expensive)

I haven't played the others. Now, if you have more than 2 so you can play some of these games wit other players, then Fairy Tale is #1, and Citadels moves up to #4.

Good choices with Samurai & Through the Desert though, I love those games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP LaChance
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Highly recommend Lost Cities. This is my wifes favorite game.
Through the desert is a fun lighter area control game and I would recommend it but far behind Lost Cities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sifu
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Another vote for Battle Line. Instead of Blokus, you may wish to consider Rumis. Both are good, but I like Rumis better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gallardo
United States
El Paso
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Samurai - scales great, a must have. IMO, 3P sweet spot.
2. Through the Desert - scales well, 2P O.K. but I prefer 3P or 4P.
3. Jambo - IMO, the BEST 2P card game. MtG-ish w/o buying more boosters. Text heavy cards slow at first but lots of replayability.
4. Battleline - good & light. Has replaced Lost Cities as my wifes favorite 2P card game.
5. St. Pete - Love or Hate, repetitive maybe...try before you buy. Has been a very effective gateway for my nongamer friends/family. Scales O.K., I like 3P best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alkis Moraitis
Australia
Sydney Olympic Park
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
We gotta get out while we 're young, `cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run...
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Punch! a free cardgame for two boxers, easy to download and make. http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/20302

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
my eye
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Attika seems to fit your criteria. I personally think it plays best with two, but still scales well at 3-4. It's a beautiful game and one of the few my wife will actually ask to play. But her biggest request is Lost Cities. With us, its cost per play must be down to somewhere around 1 or 2 cents a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Coon
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Samurai - Good with 2, but can scale up to 3 or 4. It's a great 3 player game. Excellent to have for flexibility in number of players

Battle Line
- Best 2-player game on your list, IMO. Good replay value, subtle strategy. Way better than Lost Cities

Jambo - Another good 2-player. It's a bit heavier than most of the other Kosmos games, and there's a lot to read your first time through. Good, though.

St. Pete - I'm with your friend on this one. Once you figure out the strategies, the game practically plays you. I haven't played it with 2, but it does scale well, for what it's worth.

I can't comment on the others, since I haven't played them.

A couple of other recommendations:

Alhambra - Plays well with 2 or 3. Can be played with more, but the turns bog down. For 2 or 3, this is a great little game, and one that significant others seem to like.

Attika - Another good 2-4 player game. This one takes some careful planning, so if your wife isn't much for strategy or tactics, she may have a hard time. It's a little meatier than the others, but a good flexible game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Z
United States
South East
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For light to medium 2 player, try any of the Ticket To Ride games and also Thurn and Taxis. You said most of your games are confrontational. Samurai is a very good game and also confrontational. Ticket To Ride is very light confrontationally in 2 player mode and Thurn and Taxis has almost no confrontation even in 4 player mode.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McF
United States
Missoula
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Through the Desert with only 2 players. To each his own. I would also consider Blokus; it is a great game. I would, as has been stated in other threads about Blokus, not get Travel Blokus. You can mark off a two player board on the larger 4 player board and then have both games. Don't know much about the other games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Wu
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
SuperZook wrote:
For light to medium 2 player, try any of the Ticket To Ride games and also Thurn and Taxis. You said most of your games are confrontational. Samurai is a very good game and also confrontational. Ticket To Ride is very light confrontationally in 2 player mode and Thurn and Taxis has almost no confrontation even in 4 player mode.

Haha, i said some of my games are lotr -confrontation(lord of the rings confrontation is the name of the game, not its confrontation, thanks for giving me a good laugh =D )

I just finish reading some comments and reviews on attika. I like to diversify my selection of games and sinceI already own settlers and cities/knights, would i really NEED attika? i know, from teh comments, it seems to be a little different and "better" than settlers... but i'm not quite persuaded yet.

Thanks for all teh comments, i'm looking into the reviews of the games mentioned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Naesborg
Denmark
Lynge
flag msg tools
badge
Deadpool
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Commands and Colors: Ancient?
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/14105
It's for two players, play in less than one hour and is a light/medium wargame with lots of replayability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Coon
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
iamdannywu wrote:
I just finish reading some comments and reviews on attika. I like to diversify my selection of games and sinceI already own settlers and cities/knights, would i really NEED attika? i know, from teh comments, it seems to be a little different and "better" than settlers... but i'm not quite persuaded yet.

I don't think I'd compare Attika to Settlers. They're similar in that they both have hexes and you collect cards in your hand, but the mechanics in each game are very different. I wouldn't have thought to compare them at all if someone would have asked. They're definitely different enough to both deserve a place on your shelf if you think they're interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lee
United States
East Meadow
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, Danny!

I'm sorry I won't be able to make it to the meetups anytime soon again, otherwise I would have brought over Jambo so you could try it. It's one of my favorites, though many of the strategies aren't obvious the first few plays, and I think it gets much deeper with repeated plays.

I really like Through the Desert, and Samurai is good, but the usual Knizia scoring twist can make strategies tough.

Blokus is also good too.

I personally wasn't fond of Attika, and Citadels feels limited with just 2 players. I'd also look into some of the other Kosmos 2-player game line to see what else is out there that you'd enjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Samurai and Through the Desert are great. These are games I'll always be willing to play now and then and will never leave my collection (well, still need to get my own copy of Samurai).

For the other ones:

Jambo : One of my favorites. Has a CCG feel like Magic, in how some cards are used. You have utility cards you can 'tap' to use (and they may have another associated cost to use them), and then you have animal cards that usually are used against your opponent, and people cards that either help you, help both of you, etc etc. Then you have the ware cards which are used for buying and selling. Over 20 games so far, still one of the first I'll pick to play.

Lost Cities : Fun, but not one I would want to play over and over and over again. But now and again it's fun, plus it's quick.

Citadels : Fun with two players, but plays differently with more players. I have a lot of fun with the 2 player version. More bluffing involved. Comes with the expansion now too, and better quality cards, although the role cards still show wear pretty quickly.

Harder to find but fun: Settlers of Catan the card game and Starship Catan. Both are long two player games though, usually an hour or more, sometimes less though.

Own, but haven't played Battleline or Fairy Tale yet. After reading the rules, BL looks fun, FT... I'll have to play it first.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of the games on your list that I've played:

Battle Line: One of my favorite 2-player games
Lost Cities: Good game; one of the few that my wife will play
Jambo: Only played twice; good game but I'm still learning it
Fairy Tale: Fun game, especially once you get used to the cards
Blokus/Travel Blokus: I love Blokus with 4; if you're usually going to have just 2 players, get the travel version
St. Petersburg: I enjoy it but haven't played with 2 players; you might want to download the PC version (it's free) and try it out first
Citadels: Another one I enjoy, but I've never played with less than 6

Other 2-player games you might want to consider:

Roma: This is currently my 2-player game of choice; Ancient Rome theme
Hera & Zeus: Sort of like Stratego with cards, but more fun
Odin's Ravens: Fun racing game with Norse theme
Kahuna: Solid game of dominating islands in the Pacific
Blue Moon: Fun CCG-like game, without the neverending costs
Duell: Simple and quick game of fencing
Coppertwaddle: If you like medieval themes, this is another good stand-alone card game that has CCG-like play
Aton: I don't think it's out yet here in the U.S. but, from reading the rules, as well as reading blogs from a couple of folks who played while attending the Gathering of Friends, this is tops on my 2-player game want list
10 Days in Africa: This game can be played with up to 4; I think it's excellent with 2
Mystery Rummy: All the games in this series are fun (if you like Rummy) and can be played with 2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brice Feal
United States
Endwell
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jambo is the most played card game that I have. My wife and I play a lot of it. Once you know the cards, you can work on a lot of different strategies. And the games become very close in scoring.

Also Citadels is a very excellent 2 person game. Great game for roll choosing and gotcha's.

You would do really well by getting both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I think all the games on your list are good (except I haven't played Blokus or Hive yet).
Samurai and Through the Deset are probably best with more than two, but are still good with 2

St. Petersburg is good with two. I got tired of it after the first few plays. Then I picked it up again after several months and really enjoyed it, several times in a row.

Other good two player games, besides the ones on your list:

San Juan
Ingenious
Fjords
Goa
Tikal
Carcassonne (on of the many versions)
Alhambra (low interaction)
Reef Encounter is supposed to be good with 2, but I've only played it with 4 so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.