Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure the following is not included as a core mechanic. Based on what I demo'd and what I've read so far it seems unlikely that it will fit within in a core mechanic, other than possibly a rule for retreating. I'm pretty sure that the demo would have covered it though.

But, one thing that I enjoyed about Battles of Westeros and Samurai Battles was having to maintain your lore tokens and/or general morale. Westeros was always a bit fiddly to me, but I liked having the extra "abstract" to maintain. Samurai Battles did it in a very thematically appropriate way to the time period however.

Example: In Samurai Battles if you have to retreat, you had to pay varying amounts of Honor (Lore) tokens back to the bank. If you couldn't, you would roll and possibly lose figures from the unit and possibly adjacent units. It was an awesome way of representing field morale.

Game wise, it made for tough choices on whether or not to blow your wad on a Lore card or conserve Lore in case you got hammered.

Would love to see scenarios that brought this into play. Granted, you now have (I think) a lot more creatures and units that require lore for their special abilities, but I always found this dynamic very tense and interesting in those other C&C games. It might be interesting to see something similar in some of the scenario cards (or whatever they are called) that drains lore from the players in a similar manner.

*request submitted*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Schutte
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hmm comparing those 3 would be make a great video blog. I wonder who could make something amazing like that...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Laredo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been thinking a lot about this proposed mechanic. It would make a great optional rule. I can see how it evokes different feelings. It makes you want to plan for contingencies and save your Lore. I think it can potentially lengthen the game which may lend to a more "epic" feeling for some players.

I can also see why it might not be desired by others. This mechanic makes you less likely to use the Lore you've stored and so the game slows down a little. I think FFG was going for a more fast-paced game where you burn through Lore and powerful Lore effects.

For the people I'll likely play with, I think we'd probably leave this out, but I think I'd enjoy this variant with the right opponent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Games of SB did not go any longer than any other C&C game. Even without the retreat rule, you still have a decision regarding which Lore card to play over another.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.