7 Posts

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Questions to: The Hobbit: Over Hill and Under Hill rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wrobel Swirek
msg tools
Hi

My wife and I were playing yesterday the 1st scenario of The Hobbit: Over Hill and Under Hill and we few questions.

Question 1:

We have problem with understanding the Troll cards.

They say:
Quote:

1) Troll enemies can only be attacked by one character at a time
2) Players cannot play attachment cards on Troll enemies.
3) Troll enemies not engaged with a player cannot take damage.

But then, they also give "Sack 1" and we were loosing heroes and allies like flies. How the hell should we kill them if we cannot attach any attachments (we have no traps in cards due to having only Core + 1st Hobbit - anyway, I don't think the traps would work here...), attack only with 1 character etc.

1st error we did was to go too fast trough 1B card, but this we will know now.

Please help us understand the cards of trolls - to the texts above work only when they are engaged with players or all the time? If all the time, it is not possible to kill them in reasonable time!

Question 2:

Additionally, question about sack cards - they say:
Quote:

Sack.
When Sacked: Attach to the character (excluding Gandalf) with the highest printed [defense] without a Sack attached.
Attached character cannot ready, attack, defend, commit to quests, or trigger effects. If this Sack card is removed, shuffle it into the sack deck.

How to remove the sacks? Can I use Miner of the Iron Hills to remove the sack? Also, the text of the sack is only for the 1st player characters or the 1st player have to look into all characters in play to find target of the sack?

Please clear for us the rules for trolls and sacks cards. I think I have idea how to beat the scenario, but I don't understand fully the cards.

My idea now:
1) Go slow/very slow on 1st quest card, to build some allies/attachments/resources
2) On second scenario card I think good idea is to engage all trolls and just defend against them with strongest possible defends (maybe sacrifice some allies) and quest as much as possible to remove all cards from encounter deck ASAP since this seems the only reasonable way to
3) See what is on card 3 of the scenario - we don't look into it not to have spoilers.

Question 3:

Beorn: Immune to player card effects.

Can I heal him with Glorfindel or Daughter of the Nimrodel?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alogos teeheehee
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Question 1 :
Effects are in effect until the cards is out of play.
If your strategy is to kill the troll with a tons of ally, try to engage and kill the one with "Troll enemies can only be attacked by one character at a time" first.
If you go for direct damage, kill the one with "Troll enemies not engaged with a player cannot take damage." first.
If you play traps, "Players cannot play attachment cards on Troll enemies".

Question 2 :
They do not have the "condition" keywords, so iron hill miner won't work.
The only way to get rid of them is the Troll Camp location.
All cards in play can be target for the sacks.

Question 3 :
Can't heal him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Tempel
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The key is to not advance to Stage 2 until you're ready for the trolls. This scenario plays very much like Conflict at the Carrock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed T
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can lower your threat so that you can control how the trolls engage with you, (or you can overwhelm the Trolls with lots of allies), and you set up Bilbo with Troll Camp to remove sacks, the scenario is not difficult at all to complete without getting the treasures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wrobel Swirek
msg tools
Hi

Thanks for the answers, they are useful. We tried it again, and we also got killed by game, but we notice a progress

However, question to:
Quote:

• Troll Key (The Hobbit - Over Hill and Under Hill, #43)

If Troll Key is discarded, resolve its "When Revealed" effect if able.
When Revealed: Attach to a Troll enemy.
Response: After attached Troll enemy takes damage as the result of an attack, the first player may exhaust Bilbo Baggins to claim this objective and attach it to him.

What should we do if this card is revealed from encounter deck on the 1st quest card, when the trolls are still out of game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alogos teeheehee
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This card has an Errata
Check the faq here : http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/lotr-lcg/suppo...

Quote:
Should read: “If Troll Key is discarded, add it to the staging area. If Troll Key is unattached and in the staging area, attach it to a Troll enemy, if able.”

The same for Troll purse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wrobel Swirek
msg tools
alogos wrote:
This card has an Errata
Check the faq here : http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/lotr-lcg/suppo...

Quote:
Should read: “If Troll Key is discarded, add it to the staging area. If Troll Key is unattached and in the staging area, attach it to a Troll enemy, if able.”

The same for Troll purse.

Thanks for pointing this file out I also found useful information about Thalin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.