Olivier Prevot
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
* From the starting points 0-0 and 0-9 can we go over the barrier or must we go down the stairs? Only the stairs next to the Maintenance Pit are described. Are 0-0 and 0-1 one space or 1 spaces? Same for 0-9 and 0-8 of course!
* Can we go from a starting point to another starting point?
* The Hull : Do we put the damages on it? Or is it considered invulnerable?
* Special Machinery : is on 6 spaces correct? In fact between spaces? This is strange. in the Submarine it is clear, the machine takes 3 spaces. On the Merchant boat it seems that the machine is between spaces.
* Can fires be put on spaces outside 1-1 to 6-8? By explosions for example.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lutz Pietschker
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: First game Merchant Ship : A few questions
grouik wrote:
* From the starting points 0-0 and 0-9 can we go over the barrier or must we go down the stairs? Only the stairs next to the Maintenance Pit are described. Are 0-0 and 0-1 one space or 1 spaces? Same for 0-9 and 0-8 of course!

The idea was to use the stairs, i.e. for example 0-0, 0-1, 0-2, 0-1, 0-0, 1-0, 2-0 etc.
grouik wrote:
* Can we go from a starting point to another starting point?

If you pay the movement cost, of course. But you cannot deliver someone, to, say 0-0 and re-start your move on 6-0.
grouik wrote:
* The Hull : Do we put the damages on it? Or is it considered invulnerable?

The hull (black/hatched) takes any number of damage cubes per section, but never breaks, on both ships.
grouik wrote:
* Special Machinery : is on 6 spaces correct? In fact between spaces? This is strange. in the Submarine it is clear, the machine takes 3 spaces. On the Merchant boat it seems that the machine is between spaces.

The tramp ship engine takes damage as it it were a wall between 2-2 to 2-5 and 3-3 to 3-5.
grouik wrote:
* Can fires be put on spaces outside 1-1 to 6-8? By explosions for example.

Same rules as in the basic game: Yes, but it disappears at the end of your turn. If you want to make the game harder and more thematic, don't let it disappear automatically.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: First game Merchant Ship : A few questions
To make this thread even more useful for people who read the forums later on, could you perhaps change the subject of your OP? Something like "Merchant Ship Questions: Stairs, starting point moevement, hull damage, machinery location, outside fires" (You may have to find a shorter caption, I don't know how long BGG forum subjects can be).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivier Prevot
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you!
1 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Erskine
United States
Alexandria
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume the Driver doesn't make thematic sense with Dangerous Waters so it shouldn't be used?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kerskine wrote:
I assume the Driver doesn't make thematic sense with Dangerous Waters so it shouldn't be used?


You don't use vehicles, so he cannot use his ability.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraichard Kenny

Marseille
msg tools
If the tramp ship engine spreads from 2-3 to 2-5 and 3-2 to 3-5, why doesn't it take damage when there is an explosion on 2-6 ( exemple given in the rules).
As it seems to be placed between the 2 rows, do we have to re-roll if advance fire roll is among 2-3 to 2-5 and 3-3 to 3-5? Or is it that we never re-roll? Which spaces explosion lead to a damage on the tramp?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lutz Pietschker
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kenny25 wrote:
If the tramp ship engine spreads from 2-3 to 2-5 and 3-2 to 3-5, why doesn't it take damage when there is an explosion on 2-6 ( exemple given in the rules).
As it seems to be placed between the 2 rows, do we have to re-roll if advance fire roll is among 2-3 to 2-5 and 3-3 to 3-5? Or is it that we never re-roll? Which spaces explosion lead to a damage on the tramp?

Imagine the engine as a "thick wall" between 2-3...5 and 3-2...5 (it is different from the submarine engine and machinery in that respect, which you could image as "enclosed areas" with walls all around). Only explosions in 2-3, 2-4, 2-5, 3-3, 3-4, 3-5 will damage the engine.
There is no reason to re-roll anything, as all spaces adjacent to the engine "wall" are valid for fire advance and for hazmat and POI placement.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraichard Kenny

Marseille
msg tools
Thank you for your explanations
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Heimlich
United States
Sewell
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much for this. The light finally goes on! (in my head)

When I kept reading "wall" I kept thinking rectangle around spaces. Instead, the engine is nothing more than a very thick (somewhat initially confusing) new type of 'wall'.

This text should be in the rules: "Only explosions in 2-3, 2-4, 2-5, 3-3, 3-4, 3-5 will damage the engine."

Once you "see" that with the map, it all clears up.

Well, okay, one last question (and I'm still struggling with terminology).

Am I correct then that an explosion at 1-3 with fire already at 2-3 will NOT damage the engine as that's not explicitly an explosion at 2-3?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico Muchacho
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Gemaskerde Muchacho
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So true,
i miss that part to. On the picture it is not clear where the engine is... Also because there is even a tube on 2-6.. You can also see that as a engine part...
Not very clear on the rules.. Maybe for a next expansion a bit more text to make things clear...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.