United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
as the subject line reads, we are having an overnight birthday party (sleepover) for my daughter and am looking for some game ideas that can be played with everyone. as of now i am thinking about doing:

1. twister or Cranium Hullabaloo
2. Hedbanz
3. Spot it!
4. Diamant
5. PitchCar - maybe
6. Say Anything Family Edition

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julie (Juju) B.
United States
Herriman
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reverse Charades Junior Edition is a big hit with my girls who are a little bit older. They love it so much they pull it out in a group and don't even bother keeping score. When the rest of the group (adults included) are done, they just keep playing with their friends for another 30-45 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Telestrations but I think you can do the same thing with paper and pencils, colored pencils w'ever like Eat Poop You Cat
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
twister could work. If you don't want to let them play with your cards,... it will be a bit difficult to find a game! I mean they are to old for these undestroayable baby games, which you can take in your mouth.

Personally, I'd stay away from board games in this case and rather play the typical children birthday party games!!

Halli Galli or Halli Galli Junior would fit, but they include cards as well, so maybe I'd rethink on this aspect: You can either let them play a game taking the risk of destruction, or you don't let them play a board game!
There might be some solid, wooden games, that are difficuklt to destroy, but they tend to be expensive!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1 Lucky Texan wrote:
Telestrations but I think you can do the same thing with paper and pencils, colored pencils w'ever like Eat Poop You Cat

good choice, but box says 13+ (while even BGG users suggest 10+)??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Less snark is my goal.
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Have you joined the 2017 Secret Cthanta yet?
badge
mb
Go look at Mermaid Adventures on the RPG side.

Also consider Once Upon a Time: The Storytelling Card Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
abe18 wrote:
1 Lucky Texan wrote:

good choice, but box says 13+ (while even BGG users suggest 10+)??

If they can draw stick figures and write simple sentences, just go with the EPYC game. I suppose some 7 and maybe 8 years-olds might have trouble with writing so....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spot it! (filler)
Jungle Speed also fits 6 players no problem

Animal upon Animal is neat, but 4 players only. Perhaps there's a version that would play more (?). Or joining 2 sets. Experience with girls of this ages was quite positive.

Similarly Nacht der Magier - 4 players BUT glows in the dark (great sleepover game). It's 10 minutes long, so they could rotate if that's reasonably possible to achieve.

Not sure how much girls would be interested in it, but Pitchcar could work (if it's not too masculine).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sgosaric wrote:
Spot it! (filler)
Jungle Speed also fits 6 players no problem

Animal upon Animal is neat, but 4 players only. Perhaps there's a version that would play more (?). Or joining 2 sets. Experience with girls of this ages was quite positive.

Similarly Nacht der Magier - 4 players BUT glows in the dark (great sleepover game). It's 10 minutes long, so they could rotate if that's reasonably possible to achieve.

Not sure how much girls would be interested in it, but Pitchcar could work (if it's not too masculine).

spot it! - excellent choice.
jungle speed - i think 1 speed type game is adequate.
animal upon animal - over player limit, and prefer to not buy 2 sets.
nacht der magier - will look into
pitchcar - is an idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pictionary Junior or similar

Hanabi
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wong
United States
Daly City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Diamant or Diamant if you can't find it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Preston
United States
Fremont
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at your collection, I think Incan Gold and King of Tokyo would be good choices. My girls love both of them.

If you're nervous about the Incan Gold cards, have each girl lay them in front of her and when it's decision time, have them slap the card they want to pick. My 7 y/o boy tends to handle cards roughly, and that's our solution for this particular game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Sneak wrote:

univac528 wrote:
Looking at your collection, I think Incan Gold and King of Tokyo would be good choices. My girls love both of them.

If you're nervous about the Incan Gold cards, have each girl lay them in front of her and when it's decision time, have them slap the card they want to pick. My 7 y/o boy tends to handle cards roughly, and that's our solution for this particular game.

incan gold - excellent idea
KoT - may be too much for these girls, as it requires some card reading.

i dont mind buying something special for party.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Halsey
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My daughter loves Werewolf and the many variants of Werewolf like Mafia or The Resistance when she's at her soccer tournaments out of town. Even the coaches get involved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Christiansen
United States
Wasilla
Alaska
flag msg tools
I would spread the cloths under your feet: But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
badge
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.
mbmbmbmbmb
abe18 wrote:
The Sneak wrote:

univac528 wrote:

incan gold - excellent idea
KoT - may be too much for these girls, as it requires some card reading.

i dont mind buying something special for party.

I gotta second king of Tokyo. If no one is around to read the cards just play without them. My girls love rolling giant colored dice. I also found out the 7 year old can read the word 'evolution' heh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunky Gamer
United States
Gardiner
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I've seen Wits & Wagers Family go over very well with this age group with just a bit of adult guidance.

Rat-a-Tat Cat was played quite a bit a couple of years back by my younger son with his friends. The secret message descrambler was certainly a hook.

Baffle Gab--my kids loved this one when they were a bit younger. Great for silly laughs.

Telestrations -- I thumbed someone else's recommendation, but it might not be the best choice. Mechanically it should be a perfect party game for kids. The problem is that many of the starter words and phrases will be unfamiliar to them. I find that is not a problem when we play as a family. The occasional shot in the dark by my nine year old can be very funny, but it would break the game were this to be the case for all the players simultaneously.

Coloretto--remains the all-time most played game in our family. Both my kids and their friends were taught to play at out table well before the recommended age of 8.

PitchCar--this is a great game, but I have definitely seen younger kids get extremely frustrated both with the game and their playmates over it.

Hope this helps. Oh, and good luck. Half a dozen 7/8 year old girls shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wong
United States
Daly City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want some dice action, Yahtzee Free for All could be a good game. You can also use those dice and add some cups to play Liar's Dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan King
United States
Fairmount
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deluxe Aggravation. Plays up to six, and nearly indestructible. My kids always liked it. Even the classic Yahtzee is good, and if you have 5 dice laying around, free! Twister is an excellent party game that has been around since my hippie days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Nelson Jr.
United States
Cumberland
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
esirof wrote:
Oh, and good luck. Half a dozen 7/8 year old girls shake

I don't know about the girls, but I'd be playing Russian Roulette with a semi-auto.

At my daughter's last sleepover, they enjoyed Temple Run: Danger Chase (max 4p, though).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.