London
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
Hemlock
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone!

I just wanted to post a link to the rules for my new game (and my first completed game), Hemlock. The rules are only 4 pages (and one page is just a chart for card values and abilities, so it's not exactly heavy reading!

[file removed due to feedback]

http://boardgamegeek.com/file/download/o72u5kem5q/Hemlock_Fi... (same file, no background image)

The kind of feedback I'm hoping for now that the meat and potatoes of the rules are final is a general gut reaction to the game: If you like these kinds of card games, does Hemlock look like something you would like to try?

Here is a synopsis of the game (the Introduction in the rules):

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Hemlock is a 4 player card game the goal of which is to poison the Royalty of the opposing team. Players attempt to control tricks, deduce the importance of cards, and assign them accordingly. The winner is the team with more Royalty Points at the end of the game.

In each round, the Conspirator places a card from her hand face-down on the center of the table, forming a trick. Moving clockwise, players place cards of varying values and abilities face-up to try and control or manipulate the trick while at the same time trying to determine whether they want the face-down card to go to their team or the opposing team. The winner of the trick assigns the face-down card to either the Target, themself, or, if the Target wins the trick, to any player she chooses.

Whether the face-down card is Hemlock (resulting in the death of a Monarch at game end), a Queen (who becomes the Monarch if there is no King), or one of 4 other cards, remains unknown until 7 cards have been assigned at which point the game ends and the face-down cards assigned to each King are resolved.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
The reason I'm comfortable making the rules available to everyone is that I feel confident that I've made enough of a link between me and the design that I don't have to worry about there being a confusion as to who made the game (Thanks to the folks over at BGDF for their recommendations on how to do this!)

Thanks for taking a look!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Hemlock rules finished and available to all!
Exactly four players, huh? Interesting. Don't see that much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Mantha
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
Hemlock
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nate: If you have more to say about the game I'd really like to hear it!

It says there have been 25 downloads of the rules but no one is giving any feedback! I hope its not a case of "If you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all" haha But seriously, even negative feedback is welcome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
6 MB download? Do you perhaps have a simple text-only version that weighs a bit less??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Mantha
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
Hemlock
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Derek: I didn't think it would be a problem, but you raise a good point. I took a bit of time to figure out how to optimize my pdfs for size. Here is the result:

http://boardgamegeek.com/file/download/o6c2fhbcjq/Hemlock_Fi...

Is that better?

Updated main link.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ristora wrote:
Derek: I didn't think it would be a problem, but you raise a good point. I took a bit of time to figure out how to optimize my pdfs for size. Here is the result:

http://boardgamegeek.com/file/download/o6c2fhbcjq/Hemlock_Fi...

Is that better?

Adam; wow - 600K! Massive shrinkage. Not sure that background is needed though - I will see how this looks on a B&W print out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

Any chance you include Hemley, Aconite and Belladonna as well?

(Kudos, if you get the hint ..)

Ok, first impression: The Background is disturbing as hell. Maybe that's the reason you didn't get any feedback yet: DL'ed, opned, closed the next moment without reading.

"3.) Exchange" - should be on the same page as the rest of the paragraph

Personally, I wouldn't stress out on every page, who the game designer is.
Instead I would place the pages' number on a page ..

The rules per se look solid but will need a test.
However, apparently I need some kind of special cards - where do I get them from? (Maybe that's another reason, you didn't get any feedback yet. But that's just wild guessing ..)
And I need exactly 4 gamers - for some that's not as easy as it appears for others!

Just my 2 - hope, they helped

Kind regards,
Kai
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffen Eichenberg
Germany
Bretten
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
schattentanz wrote:

Ok, first impression: The Background is disturbing as hell. Maybe that's the reason you didn't get any feedback yet: DL'ed, opned, closed the next moment without reading.

+1000 for the disturbing background. And the font is too small, too. Choose a larger font size. Alternatively you can go for a two column layout.

Greetings
Steffen
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Mantha
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
Hemlock
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys, thanks for the feedback!

Regarding the font size: Did you try zooming in? I think the font size will be sufficient on a print out. Also, the rules might not look very good/be readable on a black and white print out. They are intended for colour printing.

I'll change the footer to include the page numbers and not my name.

The background: I've been getting mixed feedback on the background. People seem to either love it or hate it. I'm not sure what to do on that front.

Edit: I've uploaded a no background version of the rules http://boardgamegeek.com/file/download/o72u5kcq22/Hemlock_Fi...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Mantha
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
Hemlock
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, you can play the game with a regular playing cards if you get creative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ristora wrote:
Also, you can play the game with a regular playing cards if you get creative.

Of course I could - but I don't want to. Not as long as there are plenty of other fish in the sea ..

(Thoughts of a lazy gamer )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Mantha
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
Hemlock
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahhh, well I'll consider uploading some cards for the game.

Also, I've submitted a new rules file with a much better background in my opinion. I'll post back when that's approved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Mantha
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
Hemlock
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've a new version of the rules with what I think is a much better background. I would appreciate if those who didn't like the previous background could weigh in on this new one http://boardgamegeek.com/file/download/o7n4fhn8nu/HemlockFin...

Adam

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.