Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Two Rooms and a Boom» Forums » Rules

Subject: basic set with 7 players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darryl Revok
United States
Rescue
CA
flag msg tools
badge
(chance is the fool's name for fate)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
is it possible to play with un-equal blue/red team numbers .. un-equal amt of players in each room? or are additional roles required?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caitlin
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Who took the Bomp from the Bompalompalomp? Who took the Ram from the Ramalamading dong?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
flowtron wrote:
is it possible to play with un-equal blue/red team numbers .. un-equal amt of players in each room? or are additional roles required?

It's possible!

You can have even number of red and blue, and add a grey role (or any add number of grey roles).

President OtherBlue OtherBlue
Bomber OtherRed OtherRed
Grey

or

President OtherBlue
Bomber OtherRed
Grey Grey Grey

OR you can bury a role. Which means you make a deck of even cards, and "bury" a card, which means you don't pass it out. In this case, you need backup roles, in case the President or Bomber are the buried card.

President Daughter OtherBlue OtherBlue
Bomber Martyr OtherRed OtherRed

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl Revok
United States
Rescue
CA
flag msg tools
badge
(chance is the fool's name for fate)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
is that to say you can't have the following? (which is what i'm really asking)

President OtherBlue OtherBlue OtherBlue
Bomber OtherRed OtherRed
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Call
United States
Pocatello
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
flowtron wrote:
is that to say you can't have the following? (which is what i'm really asking)

President OtherBlue OtherBlue OtherBlue
Bomber OtherRed OtherRed


You can do this, too! You just need to be familiar enough with the roles that the teams are still even.

Like this:
President BlueTeam BlueTeam BlueTeam
Bomber Mayor RedTeam

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl Revok
United States
Rescue
CA
flag msg tools
badge
(chance is the fool's name for fate)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
.. and as far as grey goes - if the Private Investigator wins (e.g.), this is a second winner on top of blue or red team win? sort of like a separate 1 player game going on simultaneously? or does the grey character's win/lose outcome have some bearing on the blue v red game?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caitlin
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Who took the Bomp from the Bompalompalomp? Who took the Ram from the Ramalamading dong?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
flowtron wrote:
.. and as far as grey goes - if the Private Investigator wins (e.g.), this is a second winner on top of blue or red team win? sort of like a separate 1 player game going on simultaneously? or does the grey character's win/lose outcome have some bearing on the blue v red game?

It's a second winner on top of blue or red, correct. The grey characters do not steal victory, unless it explicitly says so. (Nuclear Tyrant is an example of a grey character that if he wins, everyone else loses.)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caitlin
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Who took the Bomp from the Bompalompalomp? Who took the Ram from the Ramalamading dong?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
talusproteus wrote:
flowtron wrote:
is that to say you can't have the following? (which is what i'm really asking)

President OtherBlue OtherBlue OtherBlue
Bomber OtherRed OtherRed


You can do this, too! You just need to be familiar enough with the roles that the teams are still even.

Like this:
President BlueTeam BlueTeam BlueTeam
Bomber Mayor RedTeam


This is true. I would suggest making them equal roles for your first several games though, while you are still getting the hang of the game. Then after that, you'll have a better understanding of how to make an unbalanced roleset like Talus is suggesting.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Morcerf
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
When you've got no time, you're gonna want it back
badge
When you feel this light, when you feel this happy, you're gonna act so bad
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends, some win cons interfere with Red/Blue and some coexist. P.I. doesn't stop others from winning, but Nuclear Tyrant does.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Morcerf
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
When you've got no time, you're gonna want it back
badge
When you feel this light, when you feel this happy, you're gonna act so bad
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My suggestion would be to not necessarily have uneven numbers of Red and Blue cards unless everyone is well experienced and certainly not with a small group. What you may want to try first if you are looking for asymmetry is keeping the same number of Reds-Blues but having asymmetrical roles by not pairing them (e.g. having the Red Mummy but not Blue Mummy and the Blue Agent but not the Red Agent).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl Revok
United States
Rescue
CA
flag msg tools
badge
(chance is the fool's name for fate)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DeMorcerf wrote:
My suggestion would be to not necessarily have uneven numbers of Red and Blue cards unless everyone is well experienced and certainly not with a small group. What you may want to try first if you are looking for asymmetry is keeping the same number of Reds-Blues but having asymmetrical roles by not pairing them (e.g. having the Red Mummy but not Blue Mummy and the Blue Agent but not the Red Agent).


not looking for asymmetry per se, more like looking for the simplest solution to deal with odd amount of players (assuming they're all new to the game). I'd like to have a plan of action for 7 players for instance.

I like the idea of adding a grey, just thinking it through. e.g. private investigator -> i can see this guy just toying with the red and blue players .. "hey, i'm the PI .. co-reveal with me, or I'll help red!". just not sure if i like this for beginners.

any suggestion for the simplest grey character to add?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Call
United States
Pocatello
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
flowtron wrote:
DeMorcerf wrote:
My suggestion would be to not necessarily have uneven numbers of Red and Blue cards unless everyone is well experienced and certainly not with a small group. What you may want to try first if you are looking for asymmetry is keeping the same number of Reds-Blues but having asymmetrical roles by not pairing them (e.g. having the Red Mummy but not Blue Mummy and the Blue Agent but not the Red Agent).


not looking for asymmetry per se, more like looking for the simplest solution to deal with odd amount of players (assuming they're all new to the game). I'd like to have a plan of action for 7 players for instance.

I like the idea of adding a grey, just thinking it through. e.g. private investigator -> i can see this guy just toying with the red and blue players .. "hey, i'm the PI .. co-reveal with me, or I'll help red!". just not sure if i like this for beginners.

any suggestion for the simplest grey character to add?


P.I. or Gambler

After a few games, I'd use one of these:
Nuclear Tyrant
Hot Potato

After several games, you could try this:
Mastermind
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl Revok
United States
Rescue
CA
flag msg tools
badge
(chance is the fool's name for fate)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
nolemonplease wrote:
flowtron wrote:
is it possible to play with un-equal blue/red team numbers .. un-equal amt of players in each room? or are additional roles required?

It's possible!

You can have even number of red and blue, and add a grey role (or any add number of grey roles).

President OtherBlue OtherBlue
Bomber OtherRed OtherRed
Grey

or

President OtherBlue
Bomber OtherRed
Grey Grey Grey

OR you can bury a role. Which means you make a deck of even cards, and "bury" a card, which means you don't pass it out. In this case, you need backup roles, in case the President or Bomber are the buried card.

President Daughter OtherBlue OtherBlue
Bomber Martyr OtherRed OtherRed



so in the bury case, one team will outnumber the other team .. but nobody knows which team has the majority at the beginning, right? I think I like this better for 7 players (rather than adding grey).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caitlin
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Who took the Bomp from the Bompalompalomp? Who took the Ram from the Ramalamading dong?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
flowtron wrote:
nolemonplease wrote:
flowtron wrote:
is it possible to play with un-equal blue/red team numbers .. un-equal amt of players in each room? or are additional roles required?

It's possible!

You can have even number of red and blue, and add a grey role (or any add number of grey roles).

President OtherBlue OtherBlue
Bomber OtherRed OtherRed
Grey

or

President OtherBlue
Bomber OtherRed
Grey Grey Grey

OR you can bury a role. Which means you make a deck of even cards, and "bury" a card, which means you don't pass it out. In this case, you need backup roles, in case the President or Bomber are the buried card.

President Daughter OtherBlue OtherBlue
Bomber Martyr OtherRed OtherRed



so in the bury case, one team will outnumber the other team .. but nobody knows which team has the majority at the beginning, right? I think I like this better for 7 players (rather than adding grey).

Yep. And also, there's the backup roles. So if you are on a team, you have to find out if you are the minority team, and you have to see if your VIP (President or Bomber) is buried, to see if the backup role is activated.

For example, if I'm Daughter. I have to go find out if President is in the game or not. I have to this by talking to everyone. If he's not in the game, then I'm the actual President, and the Bomber wants to be in the same room as me. If he is, well, I'm just a plain old Blue Team, but I can still pretend to be President, or try to get information.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl Revok
United States
Rescue
CA
flag msg tools
badge
(chance is the fool's name for fate)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
nolemonplease wrote:
flowtron wrote:
nolemonplease wrote:
flowtron wrote:
is it possible to play with un-equal blue/red team numbers .. un-equal amt of players in each room? or are additional roles required?

It's possible!

You can have even number of red and blue, and add a grey role (or any add number of grey roles).

President OtherBlue OtherBlue
Bomber OtherRed OtherRed
Grey

or

President OtherBlue
Bomber OtherRed
Grey Grey Grey

OR you can bury a role. Which means you make a deck of even cards, and "bury" a card, which means you don't pass it out. In this case, you need backup roles, in case the President or Bomber are the buried card.

President Daughter OtherBlue OtherBlue
Bomber Martyr OtherRed OtherRed



so in the bury case, one team will outnumber the other team .. but nobody knows which team has the majority at the beginning, right? I think I like this better for 7 players (rather than adding grey).

Yep. And also, there's the backup roles. So if you are on a team, you have to find out if you are the minority team, and you have to see if your VIP (President or Bomber) is buried, to see if the backup role is activated.

For example, if I'm Daughter. I have to go find out if President is in the game or not. I have to this by talking to everyone. If he's not in the game, then I'm the actual President, and the Bomber wants to be in the same room as me. If he is, well, I'm just a plain old Blue Team, but I can still pretend to be President, or try to get information.


oooh, me likes this. sounds juicy.

thanks for the prompt and concise answers (to all) .. can't wait to play!!!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.