Subject: U.S.S. Excelsior rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeffrey Sanders
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
Any predictions as to what the attributes for this ship might be for both the unique and generic? Hopefully we get an image prior to next Wed's preview.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Kelly
United States
Florence
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Better than the Teenyprise but below the Defiant. Guessing 24 SP for the named version. Other than that, no clue. :-/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Bruce
United States
Elgin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
3-1-4-4

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghost Runner
msg tools
mb
Guessing:

ATT: 4
DEF: 1
Hull: 4
Shld: 3

1x tech, 2x Weapons, 2x Crew

24 Points

Special ability / Tech card allowing red move 6

180 degree fwd / 90 degree aft (more of a hope - will probably be 90/90)

Maneuver dial will be close to Ent-D, maybe a little better (still top out at speed 5)

Captains: Sulu, Styles
Crew: Rand, Tuvok?
Weapons: Photons
Tech: Transwarp Drive?

Hoping the Talent or a Tech upgrade will allow firing of torpodoes without a Target Lock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Bruce
United States
Elgin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Can't see it having same attack as the enterprise d. We are all hoping for some anti cloaking upgrade

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Below the Defiant, really?

I like Ghostrunner's stats. The Federation needs more punch to its battle line and that Excelsior looks like a great cruiser. But what will probably happen is the downgrade in weaponry to 2-3 based on how it performed in the Trek movies, keeping the starter-kit only Enterprise as the heaviest hitting Federation ship amidst a field of multiple Neg'Vars, Valdores, and soon Keldons and Jem'Hadar Battleships. Mrrh.

On the other hand I'm interested in the upgrades. Here's the thing; the Romulan Scout isn't that spectacular and the Keldon's like a small christmas. Since this next wave has both ends of the spectrum, where is the Excelsior going to end up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lepperd
msg tools
At this point, I'd be happy with a TOS enterprise with another red die as far as the stat line, plus whatever else they want to put on it.

People playing purestrain feds need serious help dropping red primary dice. It would also be nice if we had some anti-cloak tech/soft counters that let us use our secondary weapons and counter some of the supremacy of cloaking ships.

I'm hoping the Sutherland and Excelsior next month give us a boost in both/either regards.

If it gets the super-fast tech hinted that could be fun for zooming up for a surprise turn 1 alpha strike and crowding out cloaked mining opportunities, not to mention getting a jump on OP scenarios that require you to cover a lot of ground.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghost Runner
msg tools
mb
If Excelsior gets '3' attack dice, and Sutherland is the only other '4' attack dice ship, I suspect a lot of hate and discontent will follow...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
charles skrobis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some where between the TOS enterprise and the enterprise-d.

Given the first is 22 points, and the later is 28 points, there is a 6 point difference, and 3 stats different.

The difference between the TOS and the ent-d, is 1 attack, 1 hull, and 1 shield.

So I would expect it to grab one or 2 of those and go with it, likely the attack and the hull, but it could be an agility if they felt the ships differed enough, though it'll likely still be at 1 agility.

So I'd predict 4 attack, 1 agility, 5 hull, 3 shields named, and unsure of the ability, but the normal federation's action bar of scan, battle stations, target lock, and evade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan M D Thomas
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghostrunner wrote:
If Excelsior gets '3' attack dice, and Sutherland is the only other '4' attack dice ship, I suspect a lot of hate and discontent will follow...

The Excelsior has no business getting 4 attack dice. I figure 3 with a 180 arc and galaxy style movements. Hate and discontent will likely follow. Considering that we know the Sutherland is 26 points, 4 attack dice is not a given.

The Defiant is the ship that should have had 4 attack dice. The Defiant totally mauled a newly upgraded/refit Excelsior in DS9, but saying that opens up another can of worms...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Thorpe
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't see the Excelsior being more than 1 stat up from the Constitution otherwise how would you fit in the Ambassador class.

I see the Nebula as having very similar stats to the Galaxy, after all it's basically a different layout of the same components i.e. Saucer and Nacelles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Kelly
United States
Florence
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wizkids will make an appropriately-sculpted and well-painted mini before the Excelsior gets 4 or more attack die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan M D Thomas
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SteRT wrote:
I can't see the Excelsior being more than 1 stat up from the Constitution otherwise how would you fit in the Ambassador class.

I see the Nebula as having very similar stats to the Galaxy, after all it's basically a different layout of the same components i.e. Saucer and Nacelles.

The Nebula class is considerably smaller than the galaxy class since it is missing the secondary hull. I'd imagine it loses 1 hull point from the galaxy and comes in at 4/1/4/4, but that's not a certainty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
charles skrobis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, now that I think about it, the excelsior will likely be a 26 point ship give the pattern that everyone but the dominion and the romulans follow.

So when I look at the klingon named ships they cost.
30, 28, 26, 24, 22 (Ch'tang), 18 (Though it looks like the Somraw will double up on the 18 mark for the first time ever.

So then I look at federation ship costs so far.
28, 24, 22, 20 (And it looks like the quinox might double up in wave 3)

So given that each ship seems to fit into it's own cost section, so that rather then going generic you can just use the next named in the line, I'm pretty sure that the Excelsior will be 26 points.

That being Said, it would therefore only have 13 stat points to fit into each spot.

Based on the fact that none of the ships with a saucer section that isn't it's body have more then 1 agility, I have to guess 1 agility.

So I'm hoping for 4 attack, 1 agility, 5 hull, and 3 shields. Cause the federation could use a bit more damage, but I can't see an older ship like this having greater shields then the newer galaxy class ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Bruce
United States
Elgin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The Excelsior is only a bit bigger than the Enterprise A, it cant have the same hull as a Galaxy class. We also know the agility will be 1 and the attack should be 3, given the much newer galaxy class is only a 4. So that gives us 3-1-4-4 = 24pts

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Anderson
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It should not have more than a 3 attack
It should not have more than a 2 defense
It should not have more than 4 hull
It should not have more than 3 Shields.

I have no idea what sort of special ship ability the named will have.

I think this ship will be the #2 buy out of the next set, because of the crew/captains/tech.

And I think unless there is an additional penalty to place that tech/crew on a non federation ship, I think it will see more time on Klingon ships than Federation ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Benhart
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghostrunner wrote:

And yet this is what should happen. The Sutherland should be a 4 attack, on par with the Galaxy class. The Excelsior, an ~80 yr old design with older phaser banks (even if they've been upgraded), should be a 3 attack.

I don't expect the Excelsior to have a rear firing arc. Probably a 180 front arc, but no rear. OR it will have a rear arc, but only a 90 front. It won't have the Reliant's huge firing arc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmdt784 wrote:

The Defiant is the ship that should have had 4 attack dice. The Defiant totally mauled a newly upgraded/refit Excelsior in DS9, but saying that opens up another can of worms...

I realize the Defiant is a popular ship but really? Excelsiors were cutting-edge Dreadnoughts designed at the height of the Klingon-Federation war. They need to have more firepower than the Consitution, which they were designed to replace. If not firepower than at least more resiliency, or some other stat advantage, to justify how they are superior ships.

It would be great if they could end up like mini-galaxies. Every other faction supported so far has impressive hard-hitting vessels out of cheaper expansions. If the Feds want more galaxies they need more starter kits, and thus becomes the more expensive option.

I also think that if the Lakota had cut loose with the intent on destroying the Defiant, it would have succeeded. We didn't see anything of the battle beyond a few phaser strikes but it looks like the Lakota's shields held across several passes by the Defiant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Benhart
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Norsehound wrote:
jmdt784 wrote:

I realize the Defiant is a popular ship but really? Excelsiors were cutting-edge Dreadnoughts designed at the height of the Klingon-Federation civil war. They need to have more firepower than the Consitution, which they were designed to replace. If not firepower than at least more resiliency, or some other stat advantage, to justify how they are superior ships.

It would be great if they could end up like mini-galaxies. Every other faction supported so far has impressive hard-hitting vessels out of cheaper expansions. If the Feds want more galaxies they need more starter kits, and thus becomes the more expensive option.

I also think that if the Lakota had cut loose with the intent on destroying the Defiant, it would have succeeded. We didn't see anything of the battle beyond a few phaser strikes but it looks like the Lakota's shields held across several passes by the Defiant.

Um, ok. 1) The Excelsior wasn't a Dreadnought. It was the replacement to the Constitution class. The Federation never made a "Dreadnought" class ship.
2) The Defiant was 80+ years newer than the Excelsior. It should have better weapons if it was the same size ship, but since it was so small it's weapons are fair.
3) Federation-Klingon civil war? What are you talking about? If you mean Federation-Klingon war, that wasn't the case either. Why did the Klingons have an ambassador to the Fed if they were at war? They weren't at war, just heightened tensions because of V'Ger, Genesis, Klagg, and others. No state of war existed.
4) Yes, it should have more resiliency, shields or hull (probably hull) than the Constitution class. I don't think it will have more firepower because that would make it equal to the Galaxy which it definitely should not be.
5) Honestly, the Excelsior class and Defiant class are about equal in terms of firepower & shielding. Obviously not hull (mass) or agility. The Defiant is so small it can't cram any more weapons in that tiny hull & engine

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Kay
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's kind of funny. The difference between a Constitution Class ship and a Galaxy Class ship is one hull point. It's worth noting that, although smaller than the Galaxy class, Excelsior class ships had roughly twice the internal volume of a Constitution class.

So it could be at either 4 or 5 hull, but I expect 5 to set it apart from the Constitution. Maybe one less shield than a Galaxy. Firepower is up in the air at either 3 or 4, but I'll suggest it's probably 3. Some upgrades to help that low attack stat though, and better than average on its firing arcs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sal Bernesky
msg tools
Would you rather a game be more "accurate" or balanced in gameplay? That's the issue we're really discussing here.

It would be easier if the waves were era specific, then we "might" not have as much to complain about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Civil? Ugh, I really need to slow down... I meant to type Cold war.

And why shouldn't the excelsior have attack 4? They do form the backbone of the TNG-era fleet as cruisers, and if all "explorers" have the same weight of armament than why not presume Excelsiors hit as hard? No, I don't really believe that, but I think you can make a case for it especially since the Federation needs heavy-hitters to compete with other racial battleships.

What advantage does the Federation have when the Romulans dodge better and no Klingon attack goes below 3- with cloak? More hull and more shields would be nice, which I can see happening on an Excelsior. It would also be great if these could be costed well enough to allow 2-3 filler ships to trade punches with K'Tingas and Galors and still make a showing for themselves.

FWIW, FASA puts the Excelsior in the Dreadnought category and I always agreed with this assessment, since it was better armed than the Consitution. I felt if they were designing a replacement cruiser-ship it would be superior to the then-current mainstay (Consitution) but without being overgunned like a Battleship. Starfleet Command also calls the Excelsior a Battlecruiser, which I find works just as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lepperd
msg tools
Somehow I don't think they're looking at like 1985 back issues of starlog for technical readouts to compare the energy throughput of various phaser arrays or whatever when they come up with the numbers. It's pretty beer-and-pretzels. I think trying to tie it to an absolute representation of the physical tech of the ships goes out the window when you look at the B'Rel class.

I want more fed ships that fill important tactical roles on the table, and if that means an Excelsior with 4 dice, well then I can justify it in my brain as a 24th century retrofit with pulse phasers and like better EPS conduits or whatever Treknobabble. I mean going strictly by the numbers that people who really get into this stuff come up with to fill out books of blueprints and such: do the phasers of the Enterprise D have only 25% more energy output than those of the original 1701? Probably not, but it's a pretty light game and having one do less than the other without being unplayable is close enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael parsons
msg tools
mb
Alyksandyr wrote:
It should not have more than a 3 attack

The stupid Kronos one and Chang both have 4 attack dice. Since the Excelsior is the fed flagship for that same period it better well have 4 attack dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Bruce
United States
Elgin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Remember the stats take into account the tactics and mentality of the races as well. Klingon attack with wreckless abandon and so have higher attack value
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.