Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Mc
United States
Dunkirk
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this is a bit early in the game to ask, with all the awesomeness in Ogre Deluxe, but has there been any announcement or post on when we might see the maps G-3 and S-3, and the units and scenarios that came with them?

Or maybe a better question is more generally, will there be expansions of maps, counters and scenarios that are in the deluxe format?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe that maps are a low priority given the massive number of options Ogre: DE owners have via the geomorphic G.E.V. type maps and also all of the overlays.

I thought I saw some kind of Marine expansion being hawked at the launch parties...

Several scenarios were promised by SJ himself in the kickstarter... and the people with the exclusive countersheets have written scenarios to go with their stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I hope Phil will give an official answer, but if I recall all the announcements correctly there will be an Assault Pack that will bring the Ninja (an Ogre only currently available on the BGG sponsored extra sheets), the Combat Engineers and Heavy Weapons Teams (currently only included in the Kickstarter Edition), and the Rangers - a new type of infantry never seen before. The complete contents of the Assault Pack haven't been announced. Beyond that nothing has been said, but I have a feeling that'll be it: Car Wars looms.

But I really don't feel we need more maps. All the overlays means you can significantly modify the existing four maps, so you're not going to get tired of them. I would buy more maps, because I'll buy anything with the Ogre logo on it. But when I bought those maps I'd feel guilty because I'd know they wouldn't be adding a lot, if they ever got used at all.

Now the Assault Pack is going to get used. Rangers are awesome! I'd like to see some scenarios designed around the Combat Engineers, there's some potential there. And the Ninja is a must have - and it deserves some purpose-written scenarios, too.

It's not too early to ask these questions, because Ogre DE is going to go out of print and that will be that. I would hazard a guess that anything that's ever going to be published for it will come out in the next twelve months, maybe eighteen. But I don't think we need maps - those overlays fill several counter sheets and will make the original G1 and S1 maps unrecognizable, to say nothing of G2 and S2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Ellis
United States
Concord
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Information is that there are 4 "assault pack" expansions planned, each with new units and overlays, but no maps. This is apparently in addition to the expansion we were "promised" as part of the kickstarter stretch goals.

As for new maps, Phil has repeatedly posted recently that a single GEV-style map by itself would need to cost $30 at retail, without any extras. But they've not announced specific plans one way or the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
9 92 33 JOFA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A few versions of Scout Bikes were also being playtested for Assault Packs at Gen Con

Scout Bike v1: [1/2 D1 M4]
Scout Bike v2: [1/3 D0 M4]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Riddle

Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StormCrow42 wrote:
Information is that there are 4 "assault pack" expansions planned, each with new units and overlays, but no maps. This is apparently in addition to the expansion we were "promised" as part of the kickstarter stretch goals.

As for new maps, Phil has repeatedly posted recently that a single GEV-style map by itself would need to cost $30 at retail, without any extras. But they've not announced specific plans one way or the other.

I'd still buy it ...
maybe a print and pay option, good for all of us!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Smith
Canada
Coquitlam
B.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would buy them, I rather liked the battle field maps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Reed
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rick Smith wrote:
I would buy them, I rather liked the battle field maps.

Two of those maps are in the Ogre Designer's Edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Reed
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StormCrow42 wrote:

Right. Basically a board shrinkwrapped. And that would be a bit difficult to sell as a product.

We need to see how the December launch goes before getting too far ahead of ourselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mc
United States
Dunkirk
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Talarius Dunedain
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Hellboy!
mbmbmbmbmb
PhilReed wrote:
Right. Basically a board shrinkwrapped. And that would be a bit difficult to sell as a product.

We need to see how the December launch goes before getting too far ahead of ourselves.

Days of Wonder, Fantasy Flight and Catalyst Games Lab have done this exact thing, with Memoir 44, Tannhauser and Battletech respectively. I've bought both Mem '44 and Battletech maps and pricing @ $30 doesn't seem outrageous to me. I don't know what maps G3 and S3 look like, but if they are unique from the others in some significant way, I'd be tempted. If it's more of the same with slight variation, then less so, tbh.

December should be a good month for SJGames. I expect OGRE to, while not exactly "fly" off the shelves (too heavy), rather disappear quickly like a(n Ogre) Ninja.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Ellis
United States
Concord
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All 4 battlefields maps are pictured here. The layout is as below, but basically both maps have several smaller lakes, and the G3 map has significantly more swamp.

G2 | S3
---+---
S2 | G3

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.