Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Smith
United Kingdom
Ventnor
Isle of Wight
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My girlfriend and I love to play Age of Steam with 2 players, and can't wait to get our hands on the Austrian expansion for exactly this reason.

However, until then we have to make do with other maps, and having played the basic map twice we leapt forward to the map of France. We considered it small enough to play the whole map, only rolled 2 dice for production and ended the game at the usual game end point for 3 players.

It did feel like there were a lot of cubes to be had, though this was no bad thing, and I ultimately cruised to victory by upgrading my locomotive much faster than Polly.

I decided to allow Polly to play first in the first turn for quite a low bid, and she started to build down from Paris to the right hand side of the mountains. I took advantage of some nice cube placements in the South and connected Nice and Bordeaux over the first 2 turns (Bordeaux having 2 purple cubes got my 4 shipments up and runing quickly)

I won by about 8 points of income in the final count up, having issued 1 less share. We didn't bother to count up track at that point for extra VPs as it was clear that I had won.

We used the auction variant where actions picked on one turn are inaccessible for the following turn (we use spare town markers to block these actions) This variant certainly makes for an interesting game with 2 players!

PS I've read that France is a great map intended for beginners - this is certainly true - John has done an excellent job with this map and rules!

PPS Of course John's map would be useless without Martin's game system in the first place, and I have to say that I find this game highly satisfying to play and don't feel I will ever have had enough of it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Musselman
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife was just asking me if this map would work with 2 players even though it wasn't meant for it. Sounds from your report like it's at least worth a try....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Paquet
Canada
Boischatel
Québec Province
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
France is very good with 2 players. We played this map several times with the Austria turn order rule and it worked great. There are many choke points and the first build action is often needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Musselman
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dedefortin wrote:
France is very good with 2 players. We played this map several times with the Austria turn order rule and it worked great. There are many choke points and the first build action is often needed.

I know there's a Winsome boycott on having full rulebooks posted online, but would it be possible for someone to summarize the Austria turn order rule for me, for cases like this? I constantly hear references to it (and even bought the recently reprinted Austria map from Boards&Bits, so theoretically even own it now, but it's creeping through the pipeline of international mail somewhere).

The only 2P turn order rule I know is the Alspach Jamaica/St. Lucia one, which is . . . meh, it works. The one-shot $5 bid seems awfully all-or-nothing on that one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Musselman
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mussels wrote:
...Would it be possible for someone to summarize the Austria turn order rule for me, for cases like this?

Nevermind. I found a good summary in this Review:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/311810

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.