Band of Brothers: Ghost Panzer» Forums » General

Subject: Solitaire play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ltc jim
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
How well does Ghost Panzers play solitaire? Does it flow well solitaire with the decoy and concealment counters? Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.T. Selvaggio
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jaranyi wrote:
How well does Ghost Panzers play solitaire? Does it flow well solitaire with the decoy and concealment counters? Jim

I play exclusively solo. There are solo suggestions in the rulebook to deal with concealment/decoys. You can read them in the file section. I think this works really well. Also, I am intrigued by the random events optional rule that is described in the rulebook. This could add further fun to solo play by introducing random events.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ltc jim
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
I read the solitaire rules but it still seems clunky and ad hoc. I very much want to get this game but from reading all of the rules it just does not appear to be solitaire friendly. Are the concealment and decoy units needed to play the game or can it be played without them and little to no impact on game play? Maybe I am just too fixated on these counters. thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.T. Selvaggio
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jaranyi wrote:
I read the solitaire rules but it still seems clunky and ad hoc. I very much want to get this game but from reading all of the rules it just does not appear to be solitaire friendly. Are the concealment and decoy units needed to play the game or can it be played without them and little to no impact on game play? Maybe I am just too fixated on these counters. thanks

I don't think the decoy markers are a big deal and that you could play without them. Concealment is not an issue really. I often just set up the sides with decoys and randomize them for the "other side". Adds a level of surprise, but may not be the ideal strategically for that side. I think this really boils down to what you enjoy as far as solo play. If you only like games with dedicated AI or games with mechanisms that add to randomness (chit pull, card draw), then BoB may fall flat for you. If, however, you can enjoy playing both sides then the game is enjoyable. I would compare it to ASLSK from a solo experience perspective. You have to like soloing games with open information and low activation randomness. I have enjoyed it, but I also appreciate soling games with some level of activation randomness, like Combat Commander (based on card draws) and chit pull games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ltc jim
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
A.T thanks so much. I agree with your assessment on solo play. I enjoy both and spent many enjoying hours playing ASL solo. I am going to order this tomorrow. thanks again
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.T. Selvaggio
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jaranyi wrote:
A.T thanks so much. I agree with your assessment on solo play. I enjoy both and spent many enjoying hours playing ASL solo. I am going to order this tomorrow. thanks again

Cool! I hope you enjoy it! Give it a few plays before you come to hard conclusions. It does things a bit differently and at first this may be off putting because it will be counter intuitive to you based on familiarity with other systems, but after a few plays you begin to appreciate it and can see the echoes of the heritage of games like ASL. You will also note the refinement this game offers and its realistic approach to combat tactics. It also has a great opportunity fire system.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.