Recommend
7 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Tide of Iron» Forums » General

Subject: Why TOI Needs New Players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Robertson
United States
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
Hi all,

Please check out the new post on the 1A Games website. I know that many of you have questions about our decision to focus on new players right now. Hopefully this answers most of those.

http://1agames.com/importance-new-players-tide-iron/

Thanks,

Craig C. Robertson
Chief Game Developer
1A Games
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dangerous Partners
United Kingdom
Swindon
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You forgot the most import reason for 1A Games - your business probably isn't feasible (or only marginally profitable) without selling base games to new players. I can't imagine you guys starting up just sell new expansions to existing owners - many will have most of the current expansions and and a large minority of those, possibily even a majority, will not want a new expansion straight away if at all.
Best of luck to your business, hopefully you get a new wave of gamers coming through to have fun with this game.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Williams
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
BeerAndBoard wrote:
You forgot the most import reason for 1A Games - your business probably isn't feasible (or only marginally profitable) without selling base games to new players. I can't imagine you guys starting up just sell new expansions to existing owners - many will have most of the current expansions and and a large minority of those, possibily even a majority, will not want a new expansion straight away if at all.
Best of luck to your business, hopefully you get a new wave of gamers coming through to have fun with this game.


I'm sure what you meant to say was "... hopefully you get a Next Wave wave of gamers coming through..."

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael Ramus
msg tools
designer
Deus Vult
badge
Gloria in excelsis Deo
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
BeerAndBoard wrote:
You forgot the most import reason for 1A Games - your business probably isn't feasible (or only marginally profitable) without selling base games to new players. I can't imagine you guys starting up just sell new expansions to existing owners - many will have most of the current expansions and and a large minority of those, possibily even a majority, will not want a new expansion straight away if at all.
Best of luck to your business, hopefully you get a new wave of gamers coming through to have fun with this game.


I also wish 1A the best of luck.

But I'd like to ponder that what comes to my mind when I think about the Pacific theatre is not necessarily an expansion. It could be a full game itself, with scenarios that need just what's in the box to play - with content compatible with the existing base game (maybe even having some scenarios that need the already existing box).

I have nothing against the New Wave, I really would have loved to pick it instead of the old box (which costed me a lot to ship over here), but I think a new base game based on the pacific that is also an expansion to the existing base game can be worthy of some thought.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Robertson
United States
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
Rafael Ramus wrote:

I also wish 1A the best of luck.

But I'd like to ponder that what comes to my mind when I think about the Pacific theatre is not necessarily an expansion. It could be a full game itself, with scenarios that need just what's in the box to play - with content compatible with the existing base game (maybe even having some scenarios that need the already existing box).

I have nothing against the New Wave, I really would have loved to pick it instead of the old box (which costed me a lot to ship over here), but I think a new base game based on the pacific that is also an expansion to the existing base game can be worthy of some thought.


When we start on the Pacific, we will be running the Kickstarter much earlier in the development process. A stand alone expansion would most likely be a stretch goal for that project. That means: If you want it, support it!

Craig
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert tunstall
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if that would be wise. It might show indecision on your part and backers might be put off. Plus, backing the NW and having it arrive in March is about as long a gap as most would be comfortable with.
I'd recommend opening a discussion with fans here, consimworld and your own web site to find out what people want.

The idea of expansion to free standing game is a great idea for a stretch goal. That would certainly help pledges.

I would say open talks in January to get a feel for what people want. KS it in May/June with a late November delivery. (christmas season purchases)
If too fast, still open discussions in January, but move the KS to September with a March delivery.

The TOINW should now succeed and that will build confidence it this new company and its products. Plus, the Stalingrad expansion will have been out for a while and people can see what top notch products they will be getting.

Just my thoughts/2 cents worth.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Robertson
United States
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
robert t wrote:
I don't know if that would be wise. It might show indecision on your part and backers might be put off. Plus, backing the NW and having it arrive in March is about as long a gap as most would be comfortable with.
I'd recommend opening a discussion with fans here, consimworld and your own web site to find out what people want.

The idea of expansion to free standing game is a great idea for a stretch goal. That would certainly help pledges.

I would say open talks in January to get a feel for what people want. KS it in May/June with a late November delivery. (christmas season purchases)
If too fast, still open discussions in January, but move the KS to September with a March delivery.

The TOINW should now succeed and that will build confidence it this new company and its products. Plus, the Stalingrad expansion will have been out for a while and people can see what top notch products they will be getting.

Just my thoughts/2 cents worth.


Before we do anything with the Pacific, we will start with polling on our website, www.1agames.com. That will tell us a lot right there as to which stage of the war you want us to start with: early, middle, or late. Of course, we will also be participating on the forums here and elsewhere. From there, we will figure out the production costs and timeframe necessary to create the product. Again, this is very preliminary, but I'd like to plan for at three different levels:

1. The "That's Nice" level, where we just get the basic funding.
2. The "That's Awesome" level, where we hit a number of stretch goals.
3. The "Holy Crap!!! I can't believe they did that!" level, where you guys hit it out of the park and we have to keep adding stretch levels to keep up.

Obviously, there are some things that are going to be in any Pacific expansion. The first one will definitely include the Japanese infantry and possibly tanks (especially the early war expansion). All of them will contain new maps and overlays to reflect the unique terrain of various Pacific battlefields, as well as scenarios and new rules.

So, the short answer to your question is this: We will definitely be planning ahead and doing prior development before the Kickstarter. Obviously, anything that we do for TOI will be to the same high standard, but your Kickstarter support will determine how much awesome we can put into the box.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.