Popular Tags: [View All]
The all-seeing, all-knowing, all-trollin' Mike Hutton
United States
moline
illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Games seem pretty similar to me.

I also have all 3 D&D adventure games, as well as WH Quest, Gears of War.....not sure if backing this is warranted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TA MN
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you should consider it. I can't tell you if you should buy it or not, that's entirely up to you.
I also backed Myth Journey is also a co-op game, but quite different to Myth.

Personally I like the setting & that it's a co op game. There is a rich cultural history behind the characters in the game. It looks beautiful and it is a relatively novel setting for a board game.
The quality of the minis is superb.
From what we've seen of the gameplay updates and video tutorials, Marrow is working hard to put replayability in the game. There are lots of small tweaks that players can make to keep it different every time. I also like their push to have relatively simple game mechanics with most of the info you need to actually play on the cards in your hand and on the table. I'm not a big fan of always having to stop play to look things up in the rule book.
Even tho the mechanic is straightforward, it looks like there's a fair bit of strategy, all the Pilgrims have different strengths & weaknesses, movement, area of attack etc
Anyway, Just my personal opinion, but I really like what I've seen so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miche
Germany
flag msg tools
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat...
badge
I see dead people...
mbmbmbmbmb
Seconded!

I also love the D&D Adventure games, but am very keen on getting Journey. Especially the monster tactics (go for Tipi by all means) and the different attack patterns seal the deal for me. It's not only dumb "counting the distance" as in D&D or Descent (which is also fine for me, but I love some variety).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron R
United States
Centrville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been contemplating the same question and I have ultimately decided not to back. I think the value of the minis in this game is undeniable, but I'm less convinced that the gameplay will be compelling. In a lot of ways the gameplay on this one feels like Mice & Mystics: opposing dice for attack/defense with some cards and character abilities to mix things up. I find the gameplay of M&M to be a little simplistic, though the strong story element and varied scenarios that go beyond kill x baddies before leaving the tile manage to keep things interesting. I don't know much about the scenarios in Journey but if they're going to make up a big part of the game, they've been too small a part of the Kickstarter. None of this means that Journey won't be a fantastic game, just that I haven't seen enough to convince me that it will be.

Another strike against Journey for me is the way the women in the game are portrayed. Myth scored a lot of points with me by staying away from sexualized female art. All of the female art I've seen for Journey shows a lot of skin. I wouldn't feel comfortable bringing out a miniature of Cleanser Zhilan to a lot my gaming friends. All of these pieces are optional, but I'm not prepared to buy into an expensive game system, especially one where I'm concerned about the replay value of the base game, when I'm not sure how much of the content going forward I'll want to bring out with friends.

It really comes down to what you're buying for. The minis in this game look awesome. I just saw the Kei Lun sculpt and it looks fantastic. I definitely understand the allure, and if you're in it for the minis I think it's more than worth it. For me though the cost isn't worth it for the minis alone and I'm not entirely convinced there's a solid game with good replay value here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The complexity of Journey is on a whole other level compared to Mice and Mystics. First of all character movement and positioning is very important in Journey. The pilgrims only have 3-4 movement points, it takes 1 point to turn 90 degrees. So you can see how movement is way more complex compared to M&M.

Then you have to factor in the attack patterns of each character. It's not just run up beside someone and smack them. You have to align them with your attack pattern. After combat you have another important choice, whether to cleanse the demon or kill it. If you fail the cleanse roll the demon comes back to full strength. If you kill it then you get negative karma which will give you penalties if you let it build up too much.

I've never seen another game that used a karma system like that. Toss in neutral creatures like Kei Lun that attacks demons and pilgrims and the optional soul hunters and cleansers that you can summon to aid you and you have a lot of replayability. You could try missions going pure evil and killing all the demons, and others being good and cleansing all the demons, or a mixture of the two.

Between all the expansions there are tons of different monsters. Also, the system seems open enough that there will be a lot of fan content and missions. I don't think there will be a lack of quests to go on once the game is released.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.