Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
BryceCon Game Convention Jan 15-18 in Southern Utah www.brycecon.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone considered sorting the monsters and stacking the chips, so to speak, to make for a more singular-themed adventure?

Not necessarily for the base game, though that might work too, but I'm thinking like with using the Innsmouth expansion. How about putting all Deep Ones/Deep One affiliated/Shoggoths into one bag and drawing from it when a monster appears on that board?

Or Dunwich, with mostly witch/cultist/that sort of thing?

If you've tried theming the monsters in your games, how did it work out? Would you recommend it? Any thoughts on what to include with what boards/expansions?

If you haven't, what do you think of the idea?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Polk
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group has done that very thing! We pruned down the monsters to make a more "classic" Lovecraft feel.

We have been toying with the idea of making two monster pools: one for the first 3-4 turns that was mostly cultists, maniacs, zombies and their ilk, and a latter game pool with all the heavy hitters. This is to try and convey the feeling of reality breaking down as the game went on, and bigger creatures slipping through the cracks in time/space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hamlet23 wrote:
Our group has done that very thing! We pruned down the monsters to make a more "classic" Lovecraft feel.

We have been toying with the idea of making two monster pools: one for the first 3-4 turns that was mostly cultists, maniacs, zombies and their ilk, and a latter game pool with all the heavy hitters. This is to try and convey the feeling of reality breaking down as the game went on, and bigger creatures slipping through the cracks in time/space.
If you're going to do that, why not have two or three cups and use the position of the doom track to trigger which cup gets used? This is a more accurate reflection of the progress to the end of all things than turn count.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Mercer
United States
Montgomery
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
One variant that I have used is actually fairly simple, but you would essentially need to make 9 monster cups whistle

But what my variant basically comes down to is linking the Dimension symbol of the gates to the Dimension symbol of the monster. So, for example, the cross Dimensional symbol is clearly tied to R'lyeh, as it contains the Deep Ones, Star Spawn, and the aquatic monsters to name a few. So when a gate to R'lyeh opens, I pull from the Cross marked monster cup.

Doing this, however, leaves the Moon group untied to any Dimension. I leave these monster (which I deem "earthly" monsters/cultists) to crop up at the opening gates and whenever a monster suddenly "appears!" during an encounter. I have two monsters appear at each opening gate. One from the Moon Dimension and the other from the whatever Dimension the gate is.

This gives you the ability to make more of a story out of your game. A cultist or "earthly" monster makes contact with the other dimension, and then opens a gate, pulling a monster from the dimension into the real world. It's great thematically, but there are some kinks in the rules you have to work out by doing this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Conceptually, I quite like this. I think that there are some problems with the distribution of tough monsters and with situations when not all expansions are available. I really like the use of a Moon + tied Dimensional Symbol (especially when playing with 5+ players), but Triangle and Square dimensional symbols (for instance) are spectacularly nasty and some (e.g. Triangle and Star) lack variety.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
BryceCon Game Convention Jan 15-18 in Southern Utah www.brycecon.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I'm convinced, am going to give it a try next time I play with any expansions.

I do like the idea mentioned, of sorting into several cups, based on symbol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Demers
Canada
Montréal south shore
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
Conceptually, I quite like this. I think that there are some problems with the distribution of tough monsters and with situations when not all expansions are available. I really like the use of a Moon + tied Dimensional Symbol (especially when playing with 5+ players), but Triangle and Square dimensional symbols (for instance) are spectacularly nasty and some (e.g. Triangle and Star) lack variety.

I also thought about this variant a few years ago and came to the same conclusions as you. A monsters lack of variety for some gates is the major problem here. Could be a nice little expansion box to add to the serie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.