Hide
13 Posts

Strategy Games» Forums » General

Subject: Board Games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Debbie Phipps
msg tools
I'm looking for some game ideas for Christmas for my family. Games we have that most of my kids will play are: Carcasonne, Settlers of Catan, Around the World in 80 Days, Union Pacific, Elfenland, Ticket to Ride. So looking for more games with this level of complexity and take 45 - 90 minutes to play. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
more info about the children's ages and if you want something a little 'different', etc. might be helpful.

but, I'll go ahead and suggest Snow Tails or the similar Mush! Mush!: Snow Tails 2 if a child has trouble with simple math, she might partner-up with Dad to race a sled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Burns
United States
Mantua
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You seem to be a good fit for Spiel des Jahres games. 4/6 games you mentioned are on this list. So in that note here are the last 5 winners but the list goes all the way by to '79

Hanabi
Kingdom Builder
qwirkle
dixit
dominion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
gordy220958 wrote:
We have a brand new game on the market only just launched.

This sort of thing should only be posted in the Press Releases forum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
fewwdragon wrote:
You seem to a good fit for Spiel des Jahres games.

Agreed. There's a list of the winners here (and further down the page, nominated and recommended games too).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hendrickson
United States
Seward
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you considered adding a cooperative game to your collection? Pandemic is great, but if that it a little too much for your family, consider Forbidden Island or Forbidden Desert, both by the same designer.

The titles suggested by others above are also good ideas. There are tons of good game out there. It probably makes sense to look for games that add a different experience from the ones you already have, Which is why you might consider a cooperative game.

Have fun shopping!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hoity Toity is one you might like to consider. Very easy to learn, good fun, fits the criteria you specify, but sufficiently different from what you already have to make it interesting. I would describe it as Rock, Paper, Scissors on steroids.

Oddly enough, it's also a Spiel des Jahres winner incidentally!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Fridy
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
[=Modern Art][/], Railways of the World: The Card Game, Blokus, and whatever you want from an Icehouse Pyramid set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fewwdragon wrote:
You seem to be a good fit for Spiel des Jahres games. 4/6 games you mentioned are on this list. So in that note here are the last 5 winners but the list goes all the way by to '79

Hanabi
Kingdom Builder
qwirkle
dixit
dominion

+1 Kingdom Builder

Also, check out Takenoko! And, everyone I've ever showed this game to loves it!: King of Tokyo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Debbie Phipps
msg tools
Thank you for all your suggestions; I will be looking into them. I used the term kids loosely - they are to me - there are 10 of them between 17 and 33. Some like more complex games, but some won't play anything more difficult than the ones I posted. Thanks again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Liken
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Airlines Europe would be worth considering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph A Nardi
United States
Sterling Heights
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might also want to consider Bruges, or Castles of Burgundy as well. Or, for that matter, any Stefen Feld games. They have a tendency to have great replay-ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitrijs Zulenkovs
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And again +1 for Kingdom Builder. Simple and deep enough simultaneously

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.