Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
michael heitz
United States
Santa Fe
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Tyndale enters play for the Protestants on turn 2. I'm assuming that the Papacy can start calling debates in the English language zone at that point. If so, I have a couple questions:

1) If there is a tie in the first round of the debate, does Tyndale debate in the second round? and is he considered committed or uncommitted for the second round (assuming he was uncommitted for the first round)? I am guessing he debates again as he is the only English debater at that point.

2) If the Protestants win the debate, and they haven't converted Hamburg, Bremen, or any other port adjoining England via sea, to Protestant, are they prohibited from flipping any spaces in England? Can they flip any spaces anywhere? The rules say that the spaces flipped from a debate victory must be eligible for reformation/counter-reformation attempts. On turn 2 all of England is Catholic and there are no reformers there. So, without an adjoining port, no English spaces are eligible for reformation attempts.

This just seems like a safe little loophole for the Papacy in turns 2, 3, 4 or until the reformation starts in England (turn 4 at the earliest).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Beach
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
Tyndale enters play for the Protestants on turn 2. I'm assuming that the Papacy can start calling debates in the English language zone at that point. If so, I have a couple questions:

1) If there is a tie in the first round of the debate, does Tyndale debate in the second round? and is he considered committed or uncommitted for the second round (assuming he was uncommitted for the first round)? I am guessing he debates again as he is the only English debater at that point.

He would debate again in the second round and be committed this time (since debaters are flipped to their committed side in Step 6 and the dice aren't rolled until Step 7). The only other possibility is that on Turn 3 an uncommitted Bullinger could be used in Round 2 (as per his debater bonus). That would give the Protestant one more die than a committed Tyndale.

Quote:
2) If the Protestants win the debate, and they haven't converted Hamburg, Bremen, or any other port adjoining England via sea, to Protestant, are they prohibited from flipping any spaces in England? Can they flip any spaces anywhere? The rules say that the spaces flipped from a debate victory must be eligible for reformation/counter-reformation attempts. On turn 2 all of England is Catholic and there are no reformers there. So, without an adjoining port, no English spaces are eligible for reformation attempts.

Yes the Protestant would be prohibited from flipping spaces in England, and since there are eligible spaces in that zone, they are prohibited from flipping spaces anywhere. You wouldn't want to initiate a debate in England in this case until you had one of those North Sea ports.

As occurred historically, the likely debates in the English zone prior to Cranmer's entry will almost always be Papal attacks on poor old Tyndale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.