Subject: Gaming stores in NZ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Rauscher
New Zealand
Mount Victoria
Wellington
flag msg tools

Can anyone recommend some good gaming stores in the Auckland area? I've been many times to Auckland, but only ever visited the Games Workshop store (which is of course only limited to their products). I was wondering what the game-store scene is like there as I'll be visiting in a couple of weeks (hopefully) for a job interview.

Oh, and what are prices like, too? I remember GW ended up being relatively on par with U.S. prices after the exchange rate was taken into account (but dreadfully expensive on the NZ dollar).

Love to hear from anyone - Kiwi or not - with something to say on the matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PvdR
New Zealand
Lower Hutt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi David
Check out http://www.pixelpark.co.nz/buy_games.htm for a list of shops in Auckland. Not sure which ones are the best.
Price wise you might find that games are a bit more expensive over here thatn in the States, and with the NZ dollar declining against the US$ things will probably get a bit worse (we have had somewhat of a good run up until recently).

Peter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve McIlhatton
New Zealand
Palmerston North
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
www.allaboard.co.nz aren't in Auckland but they do have prices on their website which you can use to get an idea of the cost of games here. Also www.urbanwarfare.co.nz are in Auckland and have prices on their website but I've never used them.

You can use www.xe.com/ucc to do the currency conversion.

The only game store I have been to in Auckland recently is Vagabond which is in the shopping mall/cinema complex just off Aotea Square on Queen St. They had some boardgames but were mainly a miniatures shop. They seem to run a lot of very good Warmachine specials (35% off being typical).

Somehow I think you'll freak when you work out what games cost here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hang on, you're coming from the USA and you want to buy games in NZ?! Novelty value, right?

(p.s. please bring more Caylus).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Dodd
New Zealand
Martinborough
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Limited Access - Back 9th Feb 2018
mbmbmbmbmb
All Aboard are my local gaming store, and are great face to face. Prices do mean kiwis tend to buy in quality, not quantity...

eg Very Clever Pipe Game for NZ$10, Samurai for $80.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gotthard Heinrici (prev. Graf Strachwitz)
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I have been in the shop on the Khyber Pass Road in Auckland a couple of times.

Small shop, not a big stock but they are in touch with suppliers and get virtually everything.

By US standards it is not a good gaming store but for NZ standards I was glad I FOUND a game store!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hutchinson
New Zealand
Waitakere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another store supplying, by NZ standards, a good range of boardgames is King of Cards, in , I think, Queens Arcade, lower Queen Street, Auckland Central.

By the by , in the event other Auckland based gamers browse this thread, are there any wargamers amongst you around the West/Central Auckland area, interested in playing in particular some of the Columbia block games, and other wargames of that ilk???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Rauscher
New Zealand
Mount Victoria
Wellington
flag msg tools

Hey, everybody, thanks for the replies! Sounds like the rule of thumb is to buy them in the states and bring them over if you can.

BTW - started the thread 'cause I was hoping to come out for an interview. The interview is on. Maybe the next step is residency?

Thanks, all! Hope to check some out while I'm there - for future reference!

David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Rauscher
New Zealand
Mount Victoria
Wellington
flag msg tools

If anybody is still subscribed to this thread: I'm here! Arrived two week ago tomorrow. Last visit only had time to take in one game store. Is there still a store on Khyber Pass? I work at the corner of Khyber and Symmonds. Hope to meet up with some of you.

All the best.

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to New Zealand! Don't spend too much time indoors playing boardgames

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gribbly64 wrote:
I've thought many times of ordering from the US but the shipping cost often doubles the price of the game. Arrgh!

The secret is to save up and buy a bunch in one go, to minimise the per-item shipping costs (it's not linear, fortunately). Just watch out for customs charges on arrival (shouldn't be a problem if total value < NZ$400).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Grey
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah like meow said no good buying from the USA unless you order a few games at once. I do recomend King of Cards, they are in the queens arcade which is at the bottom of Queen street. They are hiding away around by the coffee shops and are down stairs belew the ground floor.

Good guys in there and the prices are pretty much what you would pay for a game once you factor in shipping from the USA. around the $80- $100 NZD mark. And they have a fairly good selection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Clarke
New Zealand
Auckland
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/107471

Hi, are you still in Auckland?

I live in Kingsland - 5 - 10 mins from the top of Khyber pass. We've got several active agmes groups in Auckland with 20 - 30 people coming along to the Mt Albert Baptist Church every second tuesday evening and lots of gaming going on apart from informally and formally (at Battlehaven, on Gt. North Road in Grey Lynn, at king of Card in Queens Arcade on Saturdays, at Urbanwarfare in Newmarket at the bottom of Khyber Pass, and in people's houses too on a regular basis.)

give me a call on 029 234 7737 if you want to hook up and/or check out

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/akl-german-games/

for contact details, and an active email mailing list...

BC
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.