Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tero Oksala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I will buy two games before christmas. I was thinking to get this instead of CoC.

I hesitate because:

- Is this game good for gaming with random gamers when there are usually 2-3 players, sometimes 4.

- Is this game hard to teach?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shinners
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
teroks wrote:
I will buy two games before christmas. I was thinking to get this instead of CoC.

I hesitate because:

- Is this game good for gaming with random gamers when there are usually 2-3 players, sometimes 4.

I haven't played TM, though I've read the rulebook. I have played CoC.

1 - I would say this is probably better than CoC for this situation. CoC has an overwhelming number of options for tech upgrades, and that's just one aspect of the game. The first few times through can be harrowing.

2 - This should be easier to teach. CoC has a lot of stuff streamlined, but also a lot of small rules exceptions that are easy to forget.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
teroks wrote:

I hesitate because:

I own and enjoy both games. If you routinely have only 2-3 players, then I would suggest Clash of Cultures. It is a much better experience between the two games with only 2-3 players.

Terra Mystica really shines best with 4 or more players because it is a area control game that is much more tense with a crowded game board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaiwen Zhang
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Welcome to Zombo.com!
badge
Art of life
mbmbmbmbmb
the two games have nothing in common, so this is an odd comparison. that being said, I think TM is by far the superior game.

However, with a low number of players, you should be exploring other options and skip over CoC and TM. Do consider Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization, the best civilization game in my opinion (for 2-3 players)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Shufelt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two very different games. It's hard for me to really answer your first question, because everyone is different.

One, Terra Mystica is good, and if they are gamers that like puzzley, deep, resource/worker management games, they'll probably like this. If they stick with Carcassonne and Ticket to Ride, Terra Mystica may be a bit too much to chew.

But so would Clash of Cultures.

Clash of Cultures has more direct conflict than what you'll get from Terra Mystica. Terra Mystica has some good player interaction, but it isn't direct.

Now I own both, but I have played Terra Mystica a lot more, so I'm more familiar with Terra Mystica. But it takes a while to explain the rules of the game. There are just a lot of mechanics and actions to go through.

With Clash of Cultures, there are fewer mechanics, but the rules are a little more fiddly. A lot of little things to remember. Overall though, the game isn't too difficult.

Edit: Clash of Cultures plays better with fewer. 2-3 would work. 4 players would take a while though. Terra Mystica plays okay with 3, but better with 4-5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serena
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. Well, you don't give much to judge it on. But I played TM just with 2 players and really liked it and I tried CoC once and didn't like it at all. But that's just my subjective opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
Irgendwer wrote:
Yes. Well, you don't give much to judge it on. But I played TM just with 2 players and really liked it and I tried CoC once and didn't like it at all. But that's just my subjective opinion.

Why, and why?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
How much conflict do you like in your games? There is more in CoC (not that there isn't a lot of interaction in TM, but it's not direct conflict).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael Ramus
msg tools
designer
Ora et Labora
badge
In Saecula Saeculorum
mbmbmbmbmb
It is not the first time I see this being asked in the fora. I guess I'll write a review comparing both.

EDIT: Here it is:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/14063536#14063536
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should get this instead of basically everything.

Okay, fanboyism aside, I can't really comment since I haven't played CoC. But I can answer your questions.

1. TM is an ok 2 player game in my book, but to truly shine, it needs more players. Personally, I think 4 is the best, but 3 and 5 players are still fantastic.

2. About teaching: There is a lot going on in this game. I usually need 30-45 minutes to teach the game. The rules themselves aren't overly complex by themselves, but there is a lot of them, and many parts are intertwined. I have heard from many players - myself included - that the game plays surprisingly fluid after a few minutes and that the game feels a lot less convoluted than it seemed after the rules explanation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Dahl
United States
West Fargo
ND
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trantor42 wrote:
You should get this instead of basically everything.

Okay, fanboyism aside, I can't really comment since I haven't played CoC. But I can answer your questions.

1. TM is an ok 2 player game in my book, but to truly shine, it needs more players. Personally, I think 4 is the best, but 3 and 5 players are still fantastic.

2. About teaching: There is a lot going on in this game. I usually need 30-45 minutes to teach the game. The rules themselves aren't overly complex by themselves, but there is a lot of them, and many parts are intertwined. I have heard from many players - myself included - that the game plays surprisingly fluid after a few minutes and that the game feels a lot less convoluted than it seemed after the rules explanation.

Pretty much this ^^^

As for Clash of Cultures, which I also own and enjoy...
1. Clash of Cultures is OK as a two player, but really shines with 3-4. Military power can be far too dominating in a 2-player game of CoC. And CoC does not support 5 players, so that's a point in TM's favor.

2. Both games have many, simple rules. They aren't complicated games, but I think Terra Mystica is easier too teach because of the way the player boards are designed. Clash has a lot more times where the rulebook needs to be consulted, while the rules in Terra Mystica are pretty obvious once explained and the icons on the board are understood.

Overall, you need to decide if you want the eurostyle, economic, engine building game that is Terra Mystica; or the civilization building, combative game of Clash of Cultures.

Both are great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played both. They are totally different game. I would pick TM over CoC anytime. TM shine with 4-5 players but it is still good with 2-3. CoC is long with 4 and awful with 2 players (whoever attack first usually win).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tero Oksala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Now I understand why it is so hard to buy a board game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
teroks wrote:

I hesitate because:

If you're buying two games before Christmas, why not get both Terra Mystica and Clash of Cultures? Or is there some third game you've set your heart on?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
teroks wrote:
Now I understand why it is so hard to buy a board game.

And why board gamers are broke all the time. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.