Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » Rules

Subject: styles & reinforcements rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rusty Dice
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What would happen if you had a tech card on a ship gained by captain styles and you disabled/discarded/reinforced away styles, losing the tech slot?

I suspect we may see this happen to get a cloak on enterprise and then reinforce picard onto the ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon NyD

Denver
Colorado
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would guess that since the ship can no longer have a tech upgrade, the illegal upgrade would be discarded underneath the ship. Similar to when you discard O'Brein to disable another ships' upgrade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Thorpe
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it would work in the same way as an Elite Talent where the captain is retired and replaced with a captain that doesn't have an elite slot.

Pretty sure it was ruled that the Upgrade remained on the ship but couldn't be used without a suitable captain being on the ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan M D Thomas
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SteRT wrote:
I think it would work in the same way as an Elite Talent where the captain is retired and replaced with a captain that doesn't have an elite slot.

Pretty sure it was ruled that the Upgrade remained on the ship but couldn't be used without a suitable captain being on the ship.

I'd assume the cloaked ship would stay cloaked, but the ability to recloak would disappear and the cloak would sit in limbo, on the ship, but not functional.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Sanchez
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SteRT wrote:

Actually it was ruled you could still use the talent on the ship even if the captain providing the talent was removed. It should work the same way with this upgrade. Andrew also said though that this ruling was subject to being revised at a later date, but so far there hasn't been an update to it yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Quixotic Games: www.quixoticgames.com
badge
Dungeon Alliance Release: February 2018
mbmbmbmbmb
We did revise this a while ago. It's in the FAQ: no Elite Talents can be used while your Captain is disabled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Kay
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrew Parks wrote:
We did revise this a while ago. It's in the FAQ: no Elite Talents can be used while your Captain is disabled.

So can the same be inferred about utilizing upgrades your ship equipped during squad-building? That in order to use them, the slot must be actively granted by a Captain or upgrade that is not disabled?

If this is the case, does the player get to choose which upgrades it does or does not have access to if multiples of the same type are equipped but one of the slots is "lost" this way?

For example:

USS Defiant
Captain Styles
Cloaking Device
EM Pulse

If Styles is disabled, is one of the upgrades equipped to him specifically, forcing it to be unusable? Can I choose which I can no longer use? Or is it purely a squad-building effect that allows you to bypass normal restrictions on a ship, much like Superior Intellect allows a ship to take an upgrade, regardless of the ship's restrictions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FortuneFavorTheBold wrote:
Andrew Parks wrote:

So can the same be inferred about utilizing upgrades your ship equipped during squad-building? That in order to use them, the slot must be actively granted by a Captain or upgrade that is not disabled?

If this is the case, does the player get to choose which upgrades it does or does not have access to if multiples of the same type are equipped but one of the slots is "lost" this way?

For example:

USS Defiant
Captain Styles
Cloaking Device
EM Pulse

If Styles is disabled, is one of the upgrades equipped to him specifically, forcing it to be unusable? Can I choose which I can no longer use? Or is it purely a squad-building effect that allows you to bypass normal restrictions on a ship, much like Superior Intellect allows a ship to take an upgrade, regardless of the ship's restrictions?

Styles' ability is generally only checked during Setup, so disabling him would not have any effect on your existing Upgrades. The only effect disabling him would have is if something specifically checked for that icon later in the game (like the Reinforcements Sideboard).

Andrew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty Dice
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Andrew Parks wrote:
Andrew Parks wrote:

For example:

USS Defiant
Captain Styles
Cloaking Device
EM Pulse

Styles' ability is generally only checked during Setup, so disabling him would not have any effect on your existing Upgrades. The only effect disabling him would have is if something specifically checked for that icon later in the game (like the Reinforcements Sideboard).

Andrew

So you could reinforce him onto a ship, then reinforce a tech upgrade onto that ship. Then reinforce him off that ship, then onto another ship and so on.

I know it's not a very valid strategy as it's going to eat up a lot of turns and turn you into a sitting duck, but good to have clarity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RustyDice wrote:
Andrew Parks wrote:
Andrew Parks wrote:

For example:

USS Defiant
Captain Styles
Cloaking Device
EM Pulse

Andrew

So you could reinforce him onto a ship, then reinforce a tech upgrade onto that ship. Then reinforce him off that ship, then onto another ship and so on.

I know it's not a very valid strategy as it's going to eat up a lot of turns and turn you into a sitting duck, but good to have clarity.

I believe this is correct, although I don't have Styles in front of me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Steiner
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Sideboards require you to swap a card for a card, so even if you added a tech slot during the course of the game. Add a slot thru styles but you wouldnt be able to add a second tech card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Durand
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rangarth wrote:
Sideboards require you to swap a card for a card, so even if you added a tech slot during the course of the game. Add a slot thru styles but you wouldnt be able to add a second tech card.

The text from the sideboard card says:

"2) During the Activation Phase of any round, a player may use a ship's Action to:

a) Equip that ship with one Upgrade card from his Sideboard. The ship must have an Upgrade slot of the appropriate type available to do this."

So all you have to have is the slot, which you get from Styles. Option (b) is to exchange an upgrade, but it is not required.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenn Mikos
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RustyDice wrote:

Yes, but you can only have one Tech upgrade on the sideboard, so swapping Styles to another ship won't let you place a Tech onto both ships.

A better way to use the sideboard with Styles, given Andrew's answer to the original question, would be to start him on the Ent-D with the cloaking device, then swap him out for Picard during Turn 1. Now you have a Picard-Spock-Sulu-Prise, but with a cloaking device, too! And it didn't take 4+ turns worth of actions to set up, either.

Edit: Styles doesn't have a Talent slot, so if you wanted to add Engage or whatever, it would take another turn. Still not that bad. Plus don't forget that Picard should still get his free action the turn he's swapped in, as well, not that there's usually much use for those particular actions on turn 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Landy
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kemikos wrote:
RustyDice wrote:

Yes, but you can only have one Tech upgrade on the sideboard, so swapping Styles to another ship won't let you place a Tech onto both ships.

A better way to use the sideboard with Styles, given Andrew's answer to the original question, would be to start him on the Ent-D with the cloaking device, then swap him out for Picard during Turn 1. Now you have a Picard-Spock-Sulu-Prise, but with a cloaking device, too! And it didn't take 4+ turns worth of actions to set up, either.

Edit: Styles doesn't have a Talent slot, so if you wanted to add Engage or whatever, it would take another turn. Still not that bad. Plus don't forget that Picard should still get his free action the turn he's swapped in, as well, not that there's usually much use for those particular actions on turn 1.

I suspect (and keep in mind I'm typing this in my most distinguished British accent possible), that we will be hearing a lot of:

"Styles, you are relieved of your command."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fastback M
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
H00D4M4N wrote:

I suspect (and keep in mind I'm typing this in my most distinguished British accent possible), that we will be hearing a lot of:

"Styles, you are relieved of your command."

I could almost hear Picard's voice

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.