A Study in Emerald» Forums » General

Subject: Some thematic oddities... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Tomic
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played the game yesterday and then read the designer's notes as well. There are two things in the game that are a paradox given the theme and the designer's notes, in my opinion.

1) Zombies. While the Designer's notes state that the Zombie theory that was used as an inspiration to include them in the game was aimed at helping the anarchists vs the establishment, in game-play it is the opposite. The loyalist (helping the rulers) is the one sho can score for the zombies so the loyalists are more likely to pursue a Zombie strategy. Shouldn't it have been the oher way around?
Especially since vampires can kill zombies and would therefore be the loyalists weapon while the zombies would have been the restorationists/revolutionaries'?

2) Sherlock/Moriarty. Same thing here. Sherlock is the one who co-operates with the police and helps keeping the public order. he is hardly a judge and executioner who would take the law in his own hands? And that makes a person who is clearly on the establishment's side. This would make him a Loyalist par excellence. And Moriarty is the subversive gentleman of the two and Sherlock's nemesis. He is the one who wants to overthrow the regime and cannot be seen as the defender of the ruler's order. he would clearly be a revolutionary/restorationist.
In the game it is the opposite. Is it because the Restorationists are seen as the good guys and, well, Sherlock is the good guy, the good guys are pro humans and so on, so we made him restorationist? And so Moriarty cannot play in the same team as Sherlock so he has to change his jersey and take the opposite colours then?

I don't mind this, I am mostly curious about the rationale behind. And maybe it would have been an even nicer game if the pro-human side would use Moriarty and Zombies to thwart the old ones....

As a final Point I have to mention that the game is very enjoyable and maybe Martin Wallace's best design hitherto. At least in my opinion since I want to leave a play where I have been enjoying it and not feel like after a math exam.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Sherlock/Moriarty sides seem to match those in the short story from what I've seen of the tale...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blackbird Mystic wrote:
Sherlock/Moriarty. Same thing here. Sherlock is the one who co-operates with the police and helps keeping the public order. he is hardly a judge and executioner who would take the law in his own hands? And that makes a person who is clearly on the establishment's side. This would make him a Loyalist par excellence. And Moriarty is the subversive gentleman of the two and Sherlock's nemesis. He is the one who wants to overthrow the regime and cannot be seen as the defender of the ruler's order. he would clearly be a revolutionary/restorationist.
In the game it is the opposite.

You should read the Neil Gaiman short story that the game is based on.
http://www.neilgaiman.com/mediafiles/exclusive/shortstories/...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Duke
United Kingdom
Fleet
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DarthEd wrote:
Blackbird Mystic wrote:
Sherlock/Moriarty. Same thing here. Sherlock is the one who co-operates with the police and helps keeping the public order. he is hardly a judge and executioner who would take the law in his own hands? And that makes a person who is clearly on the establishment's side. This would make him a Loyalist par excellence. And Moriarty is the subversive gentleman of the two and Sherlock's nemesis. He is the one who wants to overthrow the regime and cannot be seen as the defender of the ruler's order. he would clearly be a revolutionary/restorationist.
In the game it is the opposite.

You should read the Neil Gaiman short story that the game is based on.
http://www.neilgaiman.com/mediafiles/exclusive/shortstories/...

And for those who don't want to read it, or have read it but haven't picked up on the twist:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
The story is actually told by (Major) Sebastian Moran (who was a Colonel in the Holmes stories!), Moriarty's right-hand man, and the 'stranger' is Moriarty. As is explicitly mentioned, Dr Watson is the accomplice of the murderer, who is Sherlock Holmes (though that's only hinted at via several things that won't make much sense unless you're familiar with the original Holmes stories - e.g. the pseudonyms "Vernet" and "Sigerson").
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Holt
England
Rayleigh
Essex
flag msg tools
This is not the cat you're looking for - some other cat maybe?
badge
tout passe, tout lasse, tout casse
mbmbmbmbmb
Gary Duke wrote:

And for those who don't want to read it, or have read it but haven't picked up on the twist:
The story is actually told by (Major) Sebastian Moran (who was a Colonel in the Holmes stories!), Moriarty's right-hand man, and the 'stranger' is Moriarty. As is explicitly mentioned, Dr Watson is the accomplice of the murderer, who is Sherlock Holmes (though that's only hinted at via several things that won't make much sense unless you're familiar with the original Holmes stories - e.g. the pseudonyms "Vernet" and "Sigerson").

A Marginal correction:
Although Holmes organised the assassination*, Moriaty deduced that Watson struck the fatal blows. (later confirmed in a message from Holmes)

* a more appropriate word than "murder" in this context.

Oh, and thus the cover picture shows Moriarty, not Holmes (thus no deerstalker and Inverness cape), and Moran (tho' looking somnewhat like our normal image of Watson)
And the body is that of Prince Franz Drago of Bohemia
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.