8 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: campaign play vs. individual quests rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play the game as 2 player with the same opponent every time, and was wondering if i am missing out much by playing the individual quests vs. campaign play??? If we are, please explain.

we do it this way, because we then have the ability to switch off being the overlord player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Nurse
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I am planning on getting this game for my boyfriend for christmas and am very interested in this question!!

Can you not play campaign twice? Once as overlord and once as the heroes?? Switch back and forth that way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamenurse wrote:
I am planning on getting this game for my boyfriend for christmas and am very interested in this question!!

Can you not play campaign twice? Once as overlord and once as the heroes?? Switch back and forth that way?

you absolutely can. however, the campaign in base game alone is like 20 hrs worth of gaming (i thought i saw that number somewhere). for us - 20 hrs is more Descent then we likely will play all year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aswin Agastya
Indonesia
Bekasi
Jawa Barat
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CAT81 wrote:
I play the game as 2 player with the same opponent every time, and was wondering if i am missing out much by playing the individual quests vs. campaign play??? If we are, please explain.

we do it this way, because we then have the ability to switch off being the overlord player.

Quick answer? Yes, you miss out quite a bit without campaign play. Growth of characters, quest choices, gold, OL bonus card, and the great feeling of the game's persistent nature. It definitely shines in campaign setting.

BTW, 2 players is my preferred mode, with 1 player controlling 4 heroes. But if you can't stand being an OL for the whole campaign, maybe not so good for your group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamenurse wrote:

You can, and it would take multiple playthroughs to do every quest once in campaign mode. But it does take a long time.

Still, one-offs are fun, but the campaign is where it's really at.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
Pros of one-shot play:
- shorter play time
- can use Epic Play variant to bring skills and higher gear into play
- greater control over the gear each hero carries (in Epic Play)

Cons of one-shot play:
- A lot of game components become nearly unused, without Epic Play.
- Even with Epic Play you don't see half as many skills/items as you would in campaign mode.
- Can't really use Plot Decks from the new LT packs efficiently

Pros of Campaign mode:
- evolving storyline based on wins/losses of each side.
- evolving heroes and OL deck via XP and Gold acquired across quests
- all game components see regular use
- Plot decks can be used from the new LT packs.

Cons of Campaign mode:
- much longer playing time to end of campaign (individual game sessions are theoretically unchanged.)

D2E was angled at being a campaign game, but one-shot mode is still viable. This is a response to the fanbase in D1E - which originally did not include a serious campaign mode - who demanded a longer and more continuous game experience.

If playing time is an issue or if you want to be able to switch heroes/player roles quickly (as the OP does) then one-shot mode is ideal, but you do end up leaving a bunch of stuff in the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BRAD HUNT
Canada
WINDSOR
ONTARIO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just run 2 campaigns parallel and switch between them after every quest. It is the best way to play because you get the full experience of leveling up your party. My girlfriend and I are on our second campaign playing this way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uru uru
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MARDUK66 wrote:
Just run 2 campaigns parallel and switch between them after every quest. It is the best way to play because you get the full experience of leveling up your party. My girlfriend and I are on our second campaign playing this way.

I would concur with Brad on this : Don't hesitate to switch from OL/Hero whenever you want (in campaign or not). This is true for two players or any number of players. You don't even need to run parallel campaigns.

We sometimes switch between encounters (drat, why I have so well played in first encounter, now I need to play even better !)

Have fun

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.