Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
20 Posts

A Touch of Evil: The Supernatural Game» Forums » General

Subject: ATOE The Allies or The Madness Supplements? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Derk S.
msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
We have the base game and always play coop. We were looking to add a little more variety to the game and saw these were available. What are your opinions on these supplements? At first glance it looks like Allies makes things too easy for the heroes and the Madness card look like it would annoy more than add to the game. However, I do like the idea of adding more cards to the corners. Do the two supplements balance each other if bought together? What has your game experience been like with either?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Chalfont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DMeister wrote:
We have the base game and always play coop. We were looking to add a little more variety to the game and saw these were available. What are your opinions on these supplements? At first glance it looks like Allies makes things too easy for the heroes and the Madness card look like it would annoy more than add to the game. However, I do like the idea of adding more cards to the corners. Do the two supplements balance each other if bought together? What has your game experience been like with either?



If you want to beef up the game you are probably better off getting Something Wicked and The Coast.

You don't get many cards with each pack -- 14 new cards in each pack and you probably will get two alternate artwork promo cards with each pack as well. The promo cards are meant to replace an existing cards, if you have it as the Allies one were cards from Something Wicked. So they are replacements not "new" cards. I don't even know if I got them when I ordered my decks.

The Allies adds only 2 cards to each corner. One is an ally and one is a skill test/combat encounter. Madness adds 1 encounter and 1 item to each corner. So you get 4 new cards for each corner, which is not a massive change.

The Allies does add a few allies to the town deck you can "buy" or hire. The militia captain can be useful.

Novelty can be nice in the game and if you like ATOE you probably would like the two decks, just don't expect a massive game changing effect for your $20+. If you want that you would be better off getting Something Wicked. I enjoyed the base game but it felt complete once I added Something Wicked.

Also my Madness and Allies deck do not exactly match the size of the other cards in the game. If you must have cards the same size and you don't sleeve you might want to pass on these decks -- nice to have but not mandatory.

If you do order them you might as well get the replacement secret cards for free while there to save on S&H. Eventually if you get Something Wicked and the Coast you will find the secret cards have different colored backs. The replacement deck is the fix for that issue.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Buman
United States
Harlan
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
clip611 wrote:
DMeister wrote:
We have the base game and always play coop. We were looking to add a little more variety to the game and saw these were available. What are your opinions on these supplements? At first glance it looks like Allies makes things too easy for the heroes and the Madness card look like it would annoy more than add to the game. However, I do like the idea of adding more cards to the corners. Do the two supplements balance each other if bought together? What has your game experience been like with either?



If you want to beef up the game you are probably better off getting Something Wicked and The Coast.

You don't get many cards with each pack -- 14 new cards in each pack and you probably will get two alternate artwork promo cards with each pack as well. The promo cards are meant to replace an existing cards, if you have it as the Allies one were cards from Something Wicked. So they are replacements not "new" cards. I don't even know if I got them when I ordered my decks.

The Allies adds only 2 cards to each corner. One is an ally and one is a skill test/combat encounter. Madness adds 1 encounter and 1 item to each corner. So you get 4 new cards for each corner, which is not a massive change.

The Allies does add a few allies to the town deck you can "buy" or hire. The militia captain can be useful.

Novelty can be nice in the game and if you like ATOE you probably would like the two decks, just don't expect a massive game changing effect for your $20+. If you want that you would be better off getting Something Wicked. I enjoyed the base game but it felt complete once I added Something Wicked.

Also my Madness and Allies deck do not exactly match the size of the other cards in the game. If you must have cards the same size and you don't sleeve you might want to pass on these decks -- nice to have but not mandatory.

If you do order them you might as well get the replacement secret cards for free while there to save on S&H. Eventually if you get Something Wicked and the Coast you will find the secret cards have different colored backs. The replacement deck is the fix for that issue.


I agree with Drew. He is right on. Something Wicked is fairly inexpensive and I would recommend you add that next. Really adds a lot to the game. But if you love the game and are like me... I had to gradually buy everything they offer for the gamemodest. Really glad I did though!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derk S.
msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Thanks for the information. I was debating on whether or not to go with the SW expansion first. What specifically did you like about SW?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Buman
United States
Harlan
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SW adds solo rules and the Advanced cooperative mystery phase chart. I never play without using this new chart now. There are four new heroes. Brother Marcus has become one of my favorites. With the new board there are three new corner locations, which adds variety. Speaking of variety, there are new cards for all the AToE decks as well! The four new villains also add new challenges and flavor. There are new items to purchase at the Monastery (one of the new corner locations). SW also introduces the Order of the Crimson Hand. An evil cult that operates out of the Monastery.

As you can see there is a lot that is added, both in content and theme. SW really fills out the AToE game. For a price tag at some one line gaming shops in the mid twenties, you can't go wrong!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derk S.
msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Thanks I guess I will take a look at SW first. How does the Order of the Crimson hand come into play in SW? Are they mainly just in cards for the new locations? I was originally going to wait on this because I wasn't sure how often we would use the second game board.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Chalfont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
1932f20 wrote:
SW adds solo rules and the Advanced cooperative mystery phase chart. I never play without using this new chart now. There are four new heroes. Brother Marcus has become one of my favorites. With the new board there are three new corner locations, which adds variety. Speaking of variety, there are new cards for all the AToE decks as well! The four new villains also add new challenges and flavor. There are new items to purchase at the Monastery (one of the new corner locations). SW also introduces the Order of the Crimson Hand. An evil cult that operates out of the Monastery.

As you can see there is a lot that is added, both in content and theme. SW really fills out the AToE game. For a price tag at some one line gaming shops in the mid twenties, you can't go wrong!


I agree with Dan. In general with FFP games if they say a rule is recommended really means you probably should play with this all of the time. Something Wicked adds a few of these types of rules which does help the overall game experience. I like the majority of FFP games but the initial offering always seems a bit lacking in rules and cards after a number of plays that is eventually resolved after a hero pack or two and the first major expansion. At that point the game usually seems to feel right with the later expansions just making it bigger and better.

The extra locations help spread out the game a bit and new stuff in a game like this is usually nice.

The Advance Coop Mystery chart seems to be either loved or hated. I think it adds a greater level of challenge to a coop game which is needed and does make for a more thematic game. I don't feel that you play games like this for a deep strategy experience but more of the random surprise moments that build an unexpected story.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Chalfont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DMeister wrote:
Thanks I guess I will take a look at SW first. How does the Order of the Crimson hand come into play in SW? Are they mainly just in cards for the new locations? I was originally going to wait on this because I wasn't sure how often we would use the second game board.


Just use both boards for all games. Two boards equals more fun!!!

The Crimson Hand adds an additional theme to the game. They can modify how certain elders act as the Crimson Hand is behind the curtain having them do the will of the cult, like having the militia put out on the board to block and attack the heroes instead of helping. They can appear as encounters sometimes. They are implied to be behind the scenes at all times manipulating the events for their own benefit.

One of the new villains, Unspeakable Horror, uses the Crimson Hand as minions but even without that in play you know they are always there and always causing problems.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Buman
United States
Harlan
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
clip611 wrote:
DMeister wrote:
Thanks I guess I will take a look at SW first. How does the Order of the Crimson hand come into play in SW? Are they mainly just in cards for the new locations? I was originally going to wait on this because I wasn't sure how often we would use the second game board.


Just use both boards for all games. Two boards equals more fun!!!

The Crimson Hand adds an additional theme to the game. They can modify how certain elders act as the Crimson Hand is behind the curtain having them do the will of the cult, like having the militia put out on the board to block and attack the heroes instead of helping. They can appear as encounters sometimes. They are implied to be behind the scenes at all times manipulating the events for their own benefit.

One of the new villains, Unspeakable Horror, uses the Crimson Hand as minions but even without that in play you know they are always there and always causing problems.

Yup just use both boards every time. I always play with two boards. Its very manageable and makes a more interesting and fluid game.


Yup I use two boards in all my games. It is a manageable size and increases the theme and scope.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feffe Aldritch
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
DMeister wrote:
We have the base game and always play coop. We were looking to add a little more variety to the game and saw these were available. What are your opinions on these supplements? At first glance it looks like Allies makes things too easy for the heroes and the Madness card look like it would annoy more than add to the game. However, I do like the idea of adding more cards to the corners. Do the two supplements balance each other if bought together? What has your game experience been like with either?



Get it all, cards, expansions. Or else you will get bored, eventually. Which happens anyway if you´ve played the game many times.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Feffe wrote:
DMeister wrote:
We have the base game and always play coop. We were looking to add a little more variety to the game and saw these were available. What are your opinions on these supplements? At first glance it looks like Allies makes things too easy for the heroes and the Madness card look like it would annoy more than add to the game. However, I do like the idea of adding more cards to the corners. Do the two supplements balance each other if bought together? What has your game experience been like with either?



Get it all, cards, expansions. Or else you will get bored, eventually. Which happens anyway if you´ve played the game many times.


I agree -- you're going to want it all eventually. But if you're only going to get one thing, get Something Wicked. For me, that is where the game really changed from just a fun game, to an obsession.

Between the two supplements you mentioned (Allies and Madness), I would get them at the same time to reduce shipping. But if you just get one, lean towards Allies, because the base game does not have enough allies in it.

With that said, I also think you ought to consider pledging Flying Frog's awesome new Kickstarter game first, and then spend any left over money on ATOE.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derk S.
msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Thanks, looks like I will get SW before I look at anything else. My game group is still very new to the game and only recently warmed up to playing it regularly so I will wait a little longer to pick up the SW expansion. I don't want to overload them with too many new rules and options while they are just getting a feel for the game mechanics, which is why I was looking at the supplements initially.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Chalfont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DMeister wrote:
Thanks, looks like I will get SW before I look at anything else. My game group is still very new to the game and only recently warmed up to playing it regularly so I will wait a little longer to pick up the SW expansion. I don't want to overload them with too many new rules and options while they are just getting a feel for the game mechanics, which is why I was looking at the supplements initially.


That makes sense the two decks will not introduce major changes. Something Wicked has additional rules that can be ignored while you just use the new cards and board. The Coast introduces a bit more complexity to the game and playing all three at the same time is great but probably not a good or early jumping in point, if you are just recently getting into ATOE.

I will say I found the base game just OK but liked it enough to keep playing. As I said before adding SW makes the game feel complete. The core game to me felt like 60% or so of a game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Where were you hiding when the storm broke?
Philippines
Manila
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I own SW and sometimes don't use the extra board. There's a lot of cool stuff you can get/encounter on the main board alone. But I do play with the new Event, Mystery and other cards on the main board. The extra villains and heroes are very nice too.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derk S.
msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Does anyone know what is going on with the SW expansion? It seems to be out of stock everywhere. Very poor business move for it not to be available on the day after Thanksgiving. Do you know if they are making some improvements to it and does anyone know when it will be available again? After reading all these comments I am ready to add it to my collection.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Buman
United States
Harlan
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DMeister wrote:
Does anyone know what is going on with the SW expansion? It seems to be out of stock everywhere. Very poor business move for it not to be available on the day after Thanksgiving. Do you know if they are making some improvements to it and does anyone know when it will be available again? After reading all these comments I am ready to add it to my collection.


I know it is available directly from Flying Frog Production's website.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derk S.
msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Right I saw FFP has it on their site, but with shipping it is probably the most you will pay for it anywhere. Also I am hesitant to buy it if they are reprinting or making improvements to it. Does anyone know if something is in the works to make any changes to SW or at the very least make it available again? It is very odd none of the online retailers have it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DMeister wrote:
Right I saw FFP has it on their site, but with shipping it is probably the most you will pay for it anywhere. Also I am hesitant to buy it if they are reprinting or making improvements to it. Does anyone know if something is in the works to make any changes to SW or at the very least make it available again? It is very odd none of the online retailers have it.


Not sure why you think it's odd since many times games are unavailable as the company is inbetween printings. Look at ZMan with Robinson Crusoe, or any number of titles from FFG.

They haven't said a word about making any improvements nor have there been any need too. FFP is like a 3-person operation and they just wrapped up there first kickstarter which turned out to be more work than they thought. In addition they have a new deck builder game coming soon based on the A Touch of Evil franchise, so I'm sure we'll see SW back in stock when that game comes around.

Jorune
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Buman
United States
Harlan
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If you watch ebay, Something Wicked comes up about every two weeks or so. Usually the winning bid is very reasonable as well.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derk S.
msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Just wanted to let everyone know I picked up the SW expansion around Christmas time and since then ATOE has become our favorite game! SW really does make a huge difference. Recently I have also bought both supplements which provide some nice additions, but you guys were all spot on about SW. Now we are starting to eye up "The Coast" expansion as well. Thanks again for all the advice.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.