Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mr. Grace
Australia
Adelaide
SA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Home Owners' Association is an unusual one to Australians, we have organisation by that name here, but I doubt many of them would be cash cows like the HOA seems to be here in Suburbia. More like "micro not for profit"

I googled "Home Owners' Association" to see if it means something else in North America, but I have to admit I didn't learn much.

Can someone enlighten me why the HOA is such a cash generator ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know that I'd call it a cash generator, but let's say there are 100 homes in a particular neighborhood and each pays $50/month. That would be $5000/month that the HOA has to manage the expenses of the neighborhood upkeep (landscaping, swimming pool, lights, pond fountain, playground, parking lot, etc.).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Gatto
United States
Exton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bkunes wrote:
I don't know that I'd call it a cash generator, but let's say there are 100 homes in a particular neighborhood and each pays $50/month. That would be $5000/month that the HOA has to manage the expenses of the neighborhood upkeep (landscaping, swimming pool, lights, pond fountain, playground, parking lot, etc.).

And shoveling snow in the winter, my favorite HOA expense!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
tee hee, that tickles!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
In the US they are more known for imposing obnoxious rules on the neighborhood regarding decorations, upkeep, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scot Ryder
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In theory, they act to preserve the property values of a given neighborhood. In so doing, the municipality makes more money off of property taxes.

In reality they are run by humans, many of whom seem to be among the meanest, most vindictive people on the planet. At least if you listen to my friends and colleague who live under the auspices of an HOA.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Grace
Australia
Adelaide
SA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gattling wrote:
bkunes wrote:
... the HOA has to manage the expenses of the neighborhood upkeep (landscaping, swimming pool, lights, pond fountain, playground, parking lot, etc.).

And shoveling snow in the winter, my favorite HOA expense!

Well, that's an interesting difference to us. Here in A/a, those responsibilities would be borne by the full municipality, based on a property tax, known as "Council Rates". Rate payers sometimes complain about those rates being too high, especially when used for grandiose local projects.

Here, a HOA would be a lobby group ( usually a tiny minority), and usually seeking to preserve the status quo in their neighbourhood against change eg large commercial developments,freeways, power stations, "high rise" residential projects etc. We usually call this a "Residents' Association", tho it will generally be composed largely of owners ( some of them "absentees"), as renters have less attachment to their neighbourhood, and perhaps less time for organising ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Stewart
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's sooo Hot out here...
mbmbmbmbmb
Americans like being Double and Triple taxed to pay for things...

We just call them Beautification projects/Recycling Redemption values/Gated communities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
monchi
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if it is the same in Australia, but in Canada we don't have HOA we have Stratas. I think the HOA is the same as our stratas in that if you own a detached home that is not part of a "community" then you don't pay anything. If you own a condo, apartment, townhouse, or a house that is within a say "community" built by a builder than you have a strata. Aside from collecting fees to pay for upkeep of communal spaces and buildings they also set guidelines for the people within the strata. For instance, limiting how many rental units are allowed, if you can install hardwood flooring, pets...the stratas for the houses are a little different in that they will be just for things like road cleaning and facilitates that are shared. So unlike in a townhouse where the strata will fix things like roofs or paint the exterior of the building the ones for houses don't cover your houses structure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.