Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Cully
United Kingdom
Stonehouse
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys, quick question for the crowd, if I may. Just wondering if I'm correct in thinking that, if I cast the Turn To Stone enchantment (?) on an opponent's creature, and then in the same turn Banish that creature, would the opponent still pay the upkeep on that creature while it is banished?

I'm naturally in the camp that, because TTS is an ongoing condition, it will still affect the banished creature. I'm also thinking that the opponent wont be able to cast anything to remove it from the creature, and that they'll either pay upkeep or lose the creature.

What's the feeling from everyone? possible tactic, or have I misread something?

P.S apologies if this has already been asked; I searched the forum but couldn't find it - hopefully I didn't miss anything...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cannon
United States
Annapolis
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yes. Upkeep and other conditions on the banished creature remain. So it would continue to receive Rot damage for example.

I believe the FAQ document covers this in more detail.

EDITED to reflect the clarification of who pays upkeep discussed below.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Q
Canada
flag msg tools
Umm... you would pay the upkeep on turn to stone (not your opponent). Did you really think that turn to stone added an upkeep to the creature and incapacitated it?laugh That would be very, very over-powered! But... no, the enchantment itself has an upkeep of 4.

Essence drain does give an opponent's creature an upkeep. If you cast that, then banished the creature, I believe your opponent would have to pay the upkeep (or destroy the creature).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Bielefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thats a combo but it will hurt you because you as the controler of the enchantment have to pay the upkeep, not the controler of the target creature. You might want to use this trick with Essence Drain which makes the controler of the target creature pay upkeep.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Douglass
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, Turn to Stone would be incredibly broken if the controller of the creature needed to pay the upkeep. If that were the case, it would be mandatory in every build. As for Banish, yes, you need to pay upkeep on objects that are banished. Just make sure that the correct player is paying the upkeep.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Q
Canada
flag msg tools
sdougla2 wrote:
Wow, Turn to Stone would be incredibly broken if the controller of the creature needed to pay the upkeep.

Yeah, I wonder if they interpreted 'Force Crush' the same way!devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cully
United Kingdom
Stonehouse
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah...I read the upkeep rule wrong, which talks about the controller paying the upkeep cost. In this case, the 'object' is the spell, not the creature on which is it cast...my bad blush

Thanks for the answers, everyone; back to the spell tome...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.