United States
Delray Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
KILLER QUEEN: BITES THE DUST!
badge
ShaRog Master Race
mbmbmbmbmb
...is this to Arabian Nights and Agents of SMERSH?

I ask because those were two games I was very excited to play...and then was incredibly disappointed by. Winter Tales looks and sounds amazing, but I don't want to get burned again, and it seems somewhat similar to those games as far as gameplay. Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Marshall
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not very similar.

AN and AoS have you making decisions from a menu then looking up a paragraph book to see what happened. They have hit points, character attributes/statuses etc.

WT is more like Dixit, in which the players make up a story based on a series of illustrated cards that they interpret.

All three games have much less structure than most of the Euros/wargames that dominate BGG, and should be approached with caution by quiet gamers who want to win by devising an optimal strategy based on efficiently managing resources and actions. They're all more about the experience than creating winning strategies.

Caveat: while I've played AN/AoS I haven't played WN, albeit I do have a copy that I've played around with enough to have a decent idea of how it plays
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alicia Smith
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Hi, I'm leeece on yucata.de
badge
Maybe we can grab a game sometime?
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Jim has expressed it well.

I really like Arabian Nights, and I really like Winter Tales, but they are very very very different.

Can't speak for Agents of Smersh as I haven't played it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engstrom
United States
Mount Prospect
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
https://greydolphingames.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
The similarity between them is that all three have rigid mechanics. Arabian nights uses quests, encounters, and a matrix of potential actions to determine your outcomes (often changed by your skill set).

SMERSH has some more randomness, but you still need to go to the locations, get the tokens, and win the game.

Winter Tales is more free form with the story telling, as you make it up as you go. However, it is just as rigid with mechanics: There is a large reference sheet telling you how you can move and use cards. And also, the winner of each combat is the player who played the most cards (the story is strictly for theme). So the name of the game is hand management, which is something that I'm not sure many people know about this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.