Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad Hurst
United States
Gastonia
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you cancel a Mystery card that is currently already in play if another card says to cancel a Mystery card but does not specifically say may cancel a remains in play card?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Robinson
United States
Neptune City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No. The card must state to cancel a card that "Remains In Play"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TigerTailz wrote:

I disagree. You're adding a rule that isn't stated.

If a card says "cancel a mystery", you can cancel any mystery. If it says "cancel a mystery that remains in play", then you have that limitation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Englehart
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, now it has been my impression that "canceling" a card needs to be done at the time a card is played.

So if a Mystery card is played, an effect that allows you to "cancel" a Mystery card needs to be used before the Mystery goes into effect.

So a "cancel" effect would allow you to stop a "Remains in Play" card from being played, but once it's in play you need something like "Daybreak" to get rid of it.

Is that the correct reading of the rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin S
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you can cancel a mystery card at any time, not just at moment of play. Sometimes cancelling a card is roll conditional, or am I thinking of LNOE? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic the Gathering uses two different words (Counter vs. Destroy) depending on whether the card is being played or already in play.

But in this game the distinction isn't really necessary. They both result in the card going to the discard pile. "Cancel" is the word Flying Frog uses for both of these effects.

I can't find an exact quote on this from Jason, but here is a post where he specifically refers to using the Book of Lore to destroy mysteries that remain in play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Farrell Seymore
United States
Opelika
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rubric wrote:
TigerTailz wrote:

I disagree. You're adding a rule that isn't stated.

If a card says "cancel a mystery", you can cancel any mystery. If it says "cancel a mystery that remains in play", then you have that limitation.

I agree with Ken. This is the way we have played this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Robinson
United States
Neptune City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Coyote13 wrote:
So a "cancel" effect would allow you to stop a "Remains in Play" card from being played, but once it's in play you need something like "Daybreak" to get rid of it.

Is that the correct reading of the rules?

Correct

Rubric wrote:
I can't find an exact quote on this from Jason, but here is a post where he specifically refers to using the Book of Lore to destroy mysteries that remain in play.

The Book Of Lore is an "Item", I believe Brad was referring to "Event Cards" that cancel Mystery cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
I've always played "Remains in play" are cancelable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TigerTailz wrote:
The Book Of Lore is an "Item", I believe Brad was referring to "Event Cards" that cancel Mystery cards.

Point being that is says "cancel a mystery", and the designer of the game says you can use it to cancel a mystery that remains in play.

"Cancel" is not the best choice of words, apparently, because it makes people think there is a timing issue. But there isn't. "Cancel" just means you remove it from play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Robinson
United States
Neptune City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe our interpretations are different, but can I ask how you interpret the designers own words of "You need to find ways to cancel Mystery Cards that Remain In Play" if you can simply do it at any time with any card edit: that lets you cancel a Mystery Card? I just don't think that statement translates to "You just need to find ways (just play any card that lets you cancel a mystery Card) to cancel a Mystery Card that remains in play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
You can't do it with any card, only with cards that let you cancel mystery cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MoonSylver
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TigerTailz wrote:
Maybe our interpretations are different, but can I ask how you interpret the designers own words of "You need to find ways to cancel Mystery Cards that Remain In Play" if you can simply do it at any time with any card edit: that lets you cancel a Mystery Card? I just don't think that statement translates to "You just need to find ways (just play any card that lets you cancel a mystery Card) to cancel a Mystery Card that remains in play.

Note that the quote in question is general advise being given on ways to increase the players chances of winning. The piece of advice is this case is "find a way to cancel Mystery cards that Remain In Play". One of the most accessible ways to do so, The Book of Lore, available for sale at the Blacksmith, which is why Jason mentioned it as one of the remedies. The text of that card:

Quote:
Discard to immediately move the Shadow Track 1 step closer to or away from Darkness (your choice) or to cancel a Mystery card.

So, this in & of itself, would be confirmation that cards that Cancel Mystery cards Cancel ANY Mystery card. Even those that Remain in Play. Only those that specify "Cancel any Mystery Card That Remains In Play." are LIMITED to those only.

I go back & reread the rules every so often to try & keep fresh. I was looking through them yesterday & here were two passages that were relevant:

p4 "Remains in Play"
Quote:
Some cards are listed as Remains in Play. Again,
as it sounds, this means that the card stays in play,
face up on the table, and continues to affect the game
until something cancels it.

p15 "Cancelling Cards"
Quote:
Many times a card will allow you to cancel
another card as it is played or that
Remains in Play.

As noted earlier, an Event Card may not be canceled
after it has already caused dice to be rolled or re-
rolled. Mystery Cards may always be canceled. If a
Lair Card is canceled, any Showdown that was going
to start as a result is also canceled.

(All emphasis mine) That's it. No mention that Remains in Play cards must have a specific Cancel.

One of the first few times I played, I got hit with the Remains in Play Mystery card "The Hour Is Late", which moves the Shadow Track EACH MYSTERY PHASE. I was of the impression that the only way to cancel it was a "Cancel Any Mystery Card That Remains In Play". surprise

If that were the case, it would be a virtual death sentence every time that card came out, as there are NO items available for purchase or easily accessible with that caveat. The only ones that DO have it IN THE ENTIRE GAME are the Event card "Daybreak", of which there are only TWO in the entire Event deck.

So, only two cards to Cancel a multitude of Remains In Play? No. The answer is, "Daylight" is a limited use card, only against Mystery Cards that Remain In Play. All other Cancels can be used against any Mystery cards, which may be Canceled at any time, even one that Remains In Play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.