Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadly, Blott has decided to give the TGIF poll a rest. After an intense vetting procedure involving Ben, 500 contestants, a cheese grater, a desert island and an undisclosed amount of cherry cheese cake, I have been given the opportunity to take over.

My hope is to keep it entertaining and fun. Ben has been doing this for over 5 years. He has covered a lot of subjects; many that I never got to answer. I plan on mixing it up with some new subjects and returning to some of the subjects he has covered in the past. (This way I don't have to worry if I accidentally do something twice.) Feel free to send me a GM with any ideas, I have a few cooked up, but I am sure I will run out of ideas eventually.

So here we go!

Poll
1) How much time do you game a week? This can include all aspects of gaming such as collecting, print and play, playing or organizing.
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
I don't game enough to make a weekly total
4.9% 14
0-2 Hours
13.3% 38
2-4 Hours
19.6% 56
4-6 Hours
22.4% 64
6-10 Hours
18.5% 53
10-15 Hours
7.7% 22
15-20 Hours
3.8% 11
24+ Hours
3.1% 9
My gaming is so sporadic I can't make a weekly average.
6.6% 19
Voters 286
2) Everyone on BGG would game more (right?), but how much?
0-1 I am happy with how much I game
9.4% 27
2-3 Just a couple more hours
28.7% 82
3-8 Another game night a week
39.2% 112
8+ MORE! GIVE ME MORE!
14.7% 42
20+ I would game all the time if I could!
8.0% 23
Voters 286
3) How do you get your gaming time in?
All at once, such as weekly gaming club.
47.3% 134
A game here or there when I can fit it in.
60.1% 170
Lots of games spread out over time.
20.8% 59
Voters 283
This poll is now closed.   286 answers
Poll created by Syvanis
Closes: Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:00 am

4) Tell us about the longest time you have ever gamed!

Want to make sure that you never miss a poll?
Subscribe!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Vaccari
Italy
Nonantola (Mo)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot Jerry for your effort! TGIF poll is a very appreciated tradition!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would almost go as far as "revered". Almost, but not quite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for carrying this on!

#4) That would be back in my early teenage years - we would often game all weekend. Usually D&D or a few Avalon Hill titles - stuff like 1776, Russian Campaign, stuff like that, back to back to back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
Syvanis wrote:

Continuously without food or sleep? Probably not more than 12 hours or so - I'm fond of both eating and sleeping.

Or continuously as a primary activity? 10 days, at the Gathering of Friends, on a couple of occasions when my schedule supported it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Longest time gaming is just 2pm till 11pm really. I'd happily play longer but that's how long the tabletop society at the nearby Uni runs for (I think it's supposed to be 2-7 but we don't get kicked out by security till 11 so that's how long it goes most of the time!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Groeneweg
United States
Clear Lake
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for continuing this.

I've only ever gamed about 7-8 hours in one sitting. That's happened just once. I'm lucky if I can get more than one game in at a time. My gaming group is mostly my family, so that has it's own restrictions. Don't want to "wear out my welcome" with them.
When my co-workers are in town, I get more gaming in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Bame
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The longest single game I was involved in was years ago at a local game store where they had an entire ping-pong table covered with RoboRally boards and I don't remember how many goals. I played from around 10 a.m. till 5 p.m. before I had to leave. I was told the game went on till 5 a.m. the next day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
:C.h.r.i.s. M.c.G.o.w.a.n:
United States
Elk Grove Village
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The longest time I have spent gaming is at a con like The Gaming Hoopla or Great Lakes Games where I can start at 8AM and go until midnight or so. 16 hours of gaming goodness, with breaks for meals and some socializing.

Those weekends are the highlights of my year.

I have considered doing the extra life 24 hour game marathon, but I eventually hit a wall and would be useless as a gaming opponent and pretty cranky afterwards. 16 hours is a likely max.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
1 I figure I get about 15 hours in. My wife and I usually play a few games a week. A few more with my son. We have a weekly Dnd group that usually plays a game before hand as well. Around once a month we have a game night at our house as well.

2 I would be totally cool with another full game night a week, but kids and obligations make that hard.

3 Most of my gaming comes from where and when my wife feels like playing, but like I said an occasionally party fills up my time as well.

4 A few years ago a few months after my first son was born a buddy of mine came to stay at my place over Christmas break. My son was about 6 months old and slept a lot. We played games for a week straight. Of course we slept and ate, but all of our free time was gaming. Most notably we had the three Kamigawa block boxes from the game Magic. We drafted all of them head to head.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for taking this on Jerry (and thanks Ben for starting it).

Longest I've ever gamed. I was going to say at a World in Flames convention (8 AM to 10 PM with breaks for lunch and dinner) but now that I think about it I'm pretty sure we had a 16-hour session of Dungeons and Dragons mixed in with Kingmaker once or twice when I was in high school - something like 10 AM to 2 or 3 in the morning...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes cum Grano Salis
United States
Finger Lakes
New York
flag msg tools
badge
"It's not hard to design a game that works, the real challenge is making one that people want to play again and again."--Martin Wallace
mbmbmbmbmb
1.) On average, probably 4-6 hours per week, but it's not consistent. I game twice monthly with a group, have one all day 18xx meet once per month, and then play a couple things here and there as my wife and/or neighbor want to play. Sometimes I go weeks without playing anything, then play 15-20 hours in a single week.

2.) I'm pretty comfortable with how much I game, though having a regular weekly gamenight with my wife would be pretty cool.

3.) My gaming time is an irregular blend of "scheduled" and "ad hoc."

4.) I once had a two-day "Con" at my house where we gamed for 10 or so hours the first day, then 6 the second. I think my longest single 18xx day was 11 hours (1830 followed by 18EU). I couldn't do either very often, I don't think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
1 - On a good week, it's about 4-6 hours. Usually Friday and/or Saturday night.

2 - I want to say MORE! GIVE ME MORE! but I think one more game night a week would be satisfactory.

3 - Um somewhere between the first 2 options. We usually get together with my family to game for an evening. So we play about 4 games on a Friday night, then we might play another 4 or 5 on Saturday night as well. So it's not a traditional weekly game club, but we get more than a single game in here or there.

4 - This is a tough one, but I think it might actually be when my brother visits. I remember one time in particular when I took off the day he was in town and we played 2 player games starting just after breakfast. Later we shifted in my Mom and Dad throughout the day (breaking only for lunch.) Then my wife got out of work and the 4 of us played into the night (taking only one more break for dinner.) In fact this is kind of the standard for us when Jason visits now. We are a happy gaming family for about 3 days each year. Can't wait until he can come visit again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bandettini
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
That one not so much
badge
Ohh that tickles
mbmbmbmbmb

My games club, London on Board twice a year organize a weekend away at a hotel in a UK resort called Eastbourne. I did not make it to the most recent one but I was there in April. I got there around 10:00 on the Friday and left around 17:00 on the Sunday. Apart from (too) few hours sleep it was gaming pretty much all the time.

The one break I did take, I went out with some of my buddies to have ice cream and I took my iPad with me and ended up playing Ascension on it while we were not at the hotel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Syvanis wrote:

25 hours. It was a huge D&D campaign. The intent was to play for more than a day. At hour 25, we were just .... done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Dahl
United States
West Fargo
ND
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually game 4-6 hours on Saturday nights as my wife and I host game night after the kids are in bed. I do occasionally get a few sporadic games in over the course of the week, usually with my wife and/or son.

Syvanis wrote:

Longest was really only about 12 hours or so. I've done all day gaming events for birthdays and such, but they really only go from mid-afternoon until a little after midnight. Kids and age have gotten in the way of the 24+ hour game-a-thons that used to be more common when I participated in LAN parties and the like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sharon Khan
United Kingdom
Shefford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Games, games and more games!
mbmbmbmbmb

1. It's really hard for me to give an average - most weeks I game for 12 hours or so, but if we host a game weekend, which we do about once a month, then I can be gaming for 30+ hours in a week.

2. I'm quite happy with how much I game, although I do miss my lunchtime gaming sessions with my husband now he's working in London.

3. My gaming time right now is mainly on a Friday - afternoon gaming with a friend, then our evening gaming club. In addition to that though I often have odd games in evenings mid-week with my husband, some with my children (especially in school holidays), and varying amounts of gaming on weekends.

4. Probably the longest time I've ever gamed is our annual New Year's gaming session that we do every year. We start on the evening of the 28th December, and play games right through to the evening of 1st January, with just meal breaks and the odd other distraction (maybe one morning out somewhere with the kids nowadays). And if the 1st January falls on a weekend we carry on gaming until the end of the weekend!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John N.
United States
Lehi
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much for keeping this going.

1) Taking the word average and replacing it with "normal" week, then it usually about 18-20 hours. Very rarely I have so much on I might just get a couple of hours in. And then maybe once every couple of months it can be crazy, 30 hours plus.

2) I'm incredibly happy with how much I game. Some weeks can be a little slow, but more often than not, that is through my own choice! Concerts, or a date night happens and that is an excellent use of my time.

3) I have a few game groups, plus 2 nights (each week) down at my FLGS. I used to go a third night for LCG night, but I have had to cut down on that a bit. We have friends come over once or twice a week, and then big game nights about once a month. I also have a Lunchtime group at work, on Wednesdays. (To hear more about that, my friend does a podcast and usually mentions us each show. www.boardgamebanter.com)

4) I went to SaltCon in February of this year. I did 3 full days of gaming. That was crazy. I would get there about 10 and leave at 11 at night. On the Sunday I got there about 10 but left around 4. Next year I am just going for 2 of the days, and taking my 9 year old on the Saturday. Might not get as much full on gaming in, but I know I will have fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Longest continuous session? I did some all-nighters back in the old days. My favorite memory of that was a 3-player game of Titan we started maybe around 7pm at the apartment of the 2 friends I was playing with. A few hours later one of the hosts was eliminated and went to bed. The next morning he came back out of his bedroom and we were still playing. I think it ultimately lasted roughly 15 hours or so. (I was eliminated second.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I have a weekly game group that has shot past five years (shameless plug TEG - Tuesday Evening Gamers). Also, I try to squeeze in games at other times and weekends.

The longest I have gamed? That's tough. I have been to Geekway and BGG.CON but I never gamed straight through. I usually would break, wander, visit, all that fun stuff. So, my answer would be 16 hours. I think it was all one game (Statis Pro Basketball). Well, one game, nine different times.

I couldn't sleep after that. My brain kept playing. In fact, the dream I had was a basketball game going on that I was playing in, along with numbers running up and down the court. The numbers being the numbers from the cards.

Bizarre.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

It was a game of Twilight Imperium (Third Edition). I discovered how it got its name. We started at dawn. whistle

There was a many-month Diplomacy game, but that was only a couple hours a week.

The Game of Life I've been playing continuously for [Redacted].
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
Quote:
How do you get your gaming time in?

Can't answer this - no option really covers what I do.
I play single games, but with lots of breaks in between.
Not just huge stuff either - even two-three hours games
will be played over the course of a day or two. Even playing
opposed with my wife, we both prefer a nice break or two.

Quote:
Tell us about the longest time you have ever gamed!

Three months or so I guess. But, as above, not straight.

I've done a solid week on Empires in Arms, Terrible Swift Sword,
and several games of Pax Britannica in opposed games (where there
were a lot less breaks).

Single longest session is harder to judge. I know we did mixed
in RPG/boardgaming that went for 30-35 hours at cons or on
special weekends, without any sleep. Generally not worthwhile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
russ wrote:
The next morning he came back out of his bedroom and we were still playing. I think it ultimately lasted roughly 15 hours or so. (I was eliminated second.)

Reminds me of TSS at a college house. The game wasn't going continuously,
but there were mornings I'd come down, and people would be churning through
turns without me. One of my housemates was quite upset to come in and
find no one who lived there home, but the game going on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Hickle
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
This space for rent.
mbmbmbmbmb
4) I just participated in Extra Life for the first time. 25 hours. Very long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Broersen
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

A 24 hour Bridge Marathon when I was much younger was the longest official one.

In University we would sometimes start at 6pm Friday and continue until 6pm on Sunday (48 hours non-stop)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.