United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
Was taught this yet another rummy variant last night... and I have to believe I was taught incorrectly one key rule....

.... I was taught that when you drew one of the 4 "free" sticks that you flip it over immediately and draw a new one. From my reading of the rules what should really be done is you treat it like any other goal... you only get to flip it over and claim it completed on your turn. It's already imho a silly goal, but to give the person who gets one of these a shot at claiming another goal on the same round sounds insane.

The rules I read make no specific mention of the "free" goals... however the rules imho are clear you only draw a new stick/goal at the end of the round (or start of the next one) if you completed your goal. No in between round claiming/revealing your "free" stick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lowney
United States
Unspecified
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
Like your informant, the relatives who taught me the game also reveal a Free stick and draw another right away. However, I agree with you that drawing only at the end of the round would be more balanced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmb
We actually play a slightly different way than posted on here. In our version everyone attempts to achieve the goal on their stick, but once someone has completed it we end the round immediately and then reshuffle/deal. You are stuck with the same stick for 3 rounds (or until you're the first to complete it) before being able to draw a new stick. It takes away the issue of the free stick, as it gets flipped up and a new one is chosen before the new hand is dealt.

Perhaps we're just a little crazy up here in Canada.

p.s. It still sucks when you have a hard stick and you get to watch someone turn over a free one!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.