Subject: Fist Play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Teixeira
United Kingdom
Birmingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I had been looking forward to trying this out as I had bought it for a extra birthday present for my 9 year old daugther. She likes playing games and I have always involved her in what she calls "dads games" so I thought that this could be a "bridge game" between her games and mine.

We went round to some friends on Easter Sunday and we took this with us to play after dinner. My daughter was too tired in the end to play so myself, Phil, Alison, Paul and Lynda (playing as a team of two) sat down to play. Myself, Phil and Alison have played many versions of Risk (in fact we worked out that between us we have at least six versions such as Clone Wars, Godstorm etc.) over the years so we not expecting to have much trouble with this one. Lynda and Paul have never progressed beyond games such as Mid Life Crisis so this was to be an eye-opener for them.

After setting everything up which I have to say took longer that I thought it would, Phil picked the White Witch, I was Blue, Alison was Yellow and Lynda and Paul were Red. BTW Bad choice in colour for the yellow player as the pieces are almost the same colour as the areas on the board and blend in really well. The components were all of a very good quality, mouldings on the army peices were not bad, nice artwork / images from the films on the adventure cards.

As the game progressed we did run into some problems with the rule book and felt that some of the rules were in the wrong place. i.e when you capture a camp you gain two points straight away, this was missed at first as they have placed this rule at the end of the scoring section that is the last phase of your turn and not at the end of the combat/ when taking a area section which is when this would come into effect.

Most adventure crads were pretty much self explanitory and we did not have any real issues with these (unlike the first few games of Clone Wars Risk, but thats another story)

The characters added a nice element of "Risk" to the game as to commit one to the board meant that unless they are "killed" or moved with an adventure card they are locked into the last area you invaded and cannot move.

We all found the game to be very good and all reckon that it should not be aimed at 8+ and feel it really should be for 11+ as I do not know any 8/9 year old (my daugther included) who could read and understand the adventure cards properly or understand the mechanics of the game well enough to have fun.

I will post a fuller account of the game when I have a bit more time and when I have stopped fuming at Phil's lucky dice rolls.

The outcome of the first game was that Phil and the White Witch won the game with 47 points, Yellow came second with 43, Blue third with 39 and red last with 31. After counting up the areas at the end of the game Phil controlled only one more that the rest of Aslans forces.

Lynda and Paul enjoyed themselves a great deal and have asked if they can come round the next time we have a games evening. This means that we will be getting out games such as Keythedral, one of the Catan games, Purto Rico etc to play with them, they are in for a treat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I would say an 11 year old could play normal Risk fine...so maybe Risk Junior is a bit of an exaggeration here. Bet there will be more Narnia stuff coming out as they release the rest of the series (Prince Caspian I think is made already).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it very strange that Hasbro, usually Risk-variant crazy, did not release this version in the U.S. at all. The movie was a monster success in the States and Risk variants typically sell pretty well here. Strange, indeed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My FLGS here in Austin, TX has three copies. So, it can be had if folks want it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BradyLS wrote:
My FLGS here in Austin, TX has three copies. So, it can be had if folks want it.

Brady, do they have an online store front?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm such an idiot. I was sure I deleted my post yesterday since I remembered that it was some other Narnia game and not the RISK one. My apologies!

But to answer your question: yes

greathallgames.com

But remember, they don't have Narnia RISK Junior.

(But I'll also remember to ask if they can get it. I'll let you know...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Update: My FLGS isn't sure they can stock it. He said he'd check his distributor about availability...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.