Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryan K
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just wondering from some people who have played the game, do the teams balance out pretty well? I'm thinking about getting into this game but can't seem to find much team information out. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Miller
United States
Livonia
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering the same thing. O wait you're in my league. You should play the worst team then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Players are certainly not equal. Each team has its advantages and there has been some errata on abilities, there seems to be a close eye kept on how teams perform. my very political answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
the Yellow Sign?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Its a good question, and its always tough to assure that abilities are going to be balanced if they're going to be different. The thing with Dreadball i.That some teams are definitely more beginner friendly, while others require some more precise experience and tactics. Any of the season three teams i would say are designed for more experienced players. The season one and two teams are more accessible. There are a lot of factors that go into what makes a team balanced. Not only can players be better at different things but the teams can have extra coaching die, cards, players, or even coaches to start off. If you are just looking at getting into the game I'd recommend you play the humans first as they are kind of standard. After you play a few times just looking at the starting team rosters for other teams will tell you at least a little what makes them different.

This is a great game. We need a bigger crowd in the US that play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Uccello
United States
Millbury
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kolby got the biggest disclaimer: some teams are easier to play than others. I think if you were looking at just the first 4 teams (Humans, Greenskins, Forge Fathers and Veer-Myn) the Forge Fathers would look horribly unbalanced (towards unplayable). When the second season teams came out (Robots, Judwan, Z'zor and Women), the Judwan team was clearly too good, so they got a small change (Speed 3 became Speed 4) and they are supposed to be fair now. Now that the third season is out, we have the Asterians, the Teratons, the Zees and the Nameless - three of which look like they have the potential to be overpowered (not the Zees). What amuses me is that three of them (not the Teratons) should make the Forge Fathers much more well-balanced. It's a really nice set of interlocking mechanisms that make this game shine, and so far I feel like the balance has been very good.

That said, Kolby was right in suggesting starting with the humans from the first season, they are a great all-around mix and give a new player a perfect baseline from which that player can see what options they like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Except for the pre-nerf Judwan all the teams seem fairly equal as long as you concentrate on the teams strength. Don't try a running game as Orx, a bruiser game as Vermynn etc. There can be some imbalance with the star players though. Some star players really gel with some teams versus others. A player that can capitalize on that will have an advantage on the field.

If you play leagues don't hesitate to outbid teams that benefit most from certain star players even if it's just to bench them (I think this is intentionally in the rules for this very reason).

Learn your team very well, learn its strengths, learn its weaknesses, and finally abuse your opponents weaknesses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
the Yellow Sign?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While lots of people though the Forge Fathers were impossible to win with, I just want to say they are pre season 3 my favorite team. I've won against both human and Judwan teams by landslides. Even the pre nerf Judwan weren't really that bad if you changed your play style a lot. (I think that post nerf Judwan are much better for the game though because every team had to play a very strong defensive game against Judwan to even have a chance. Now the game is much more fun in that you can actually play your team as intended - not just simply anti-Judwan if you play against them.)

I just use these examples from playing to show that really skill plays a much larger role that what team you are playing or playing against. For some teams the amount of skill you need to be successful with them only comes from practice. For example, the low movement of the Dwarves means that with every action I have to be really thinking ahead, because dashing simply isn't an option in most cases - and that movement of 4 really can be a hinderance if you don't plan for it.

Your question does make me wonder if we should have a quick write up about every team, highlighting some potential strategies for them to help beginners get going and also to help people choose a team. If there were interest, I'd be happy to write something up.

Also, the facebook group, Dreadball Fanatics has lots of good information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan K
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
reddish22 wrote:

Your question does make me wonder if we should have a quick write up about every team, highlighting some potential strategies for them to help beginners get going and also to help people choose a team. If there were interest, I'd be happy to write something up.

Yes! I can't find a good write about about the teams anywhere. Just basic info would be nice, i like to figure out strategy on my own, but Beside look I don't know how to pick a team. I was thinking of using the chimps but only cause they looked like Spartans!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Laverty
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Dreadball Academy Wiki is very helpful (and could use more contributers)
http://dreadballacademy.wikispaces.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
the Yellow Sign?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ZombieDad2 wrote:
reddish22 wrote:

Yes! I can't find a good write about about the teams anywhere. Just basic info would be nice, i like to figure out strategy on my own, but Beside look I don't know how to pick a team. I was thinking of using the chimps but only cause they looked like Spartans!

I posted it as a strategy article so other people could find it more easily - here

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Wygant
United States
Coraopolis
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Well someone compiled a data logging program to record games across the world

http://db.chezalex.net/index.php

If you click at the top you can see a review of all games recorded.

So far (as pointed out above) only one team has been changed (Judwan) when the numbers indicated they may have been overpowered.

On initial release there were complaints about almost ALL of the season 3 teams were OP, but if you look at the stats it looks like the only one nobody has figured out a strategy for is the Nameless team.

But take into account that is from a mere 24 games played. I am the progress of the Nameless is being tracked and if it stays this way, you will see a change in their stats.

In forum discussions it has been agreed that 50% +/-10% would probably be considered "balanced but not equal" with some teams being "easier" to win with (but not ALWAYS winning) and 40% being "hard" teams that would take a skilled coach to win with consistently (but not ALWAYS losing).

Most teams are indeed between 40%-60% and the strongest team from the get-go is the Corporation at 63.9% vs the hardest team, the Forge Fathers at 39.6% From an ideal of +/-10%, this is only a +/-12.5% spread.

Some teams are harder to beat with other teams, as the further team breakdowns indicate, but keep in mind the NUMBER of games played before you worry too much about the numbers. 3 games played with 2 wins will show a +66.66% win rate

And lastly, a teams character changes after the first few games of league play. A smart Marauder coach will get a 4th Guard ASAP even if it means not replacing a dead jack. It won't take long for those guards to start getting pretty impressive as they continue to deal 3+ wds.

Humans are more likely to get their Strikers Squished and have to shell out for replacements or resurrections if the strikers have developed skills.

I cannot praise this game enough on the strategies available during the game, and the tactical choices on spending money for a coach, or a cheerleader, or to resurrect a dead player (cheaply or expensively), or to buy an extra card or maybe a coaching die.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lex Major
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shadowdom999 wrote:

Hey. I'm that someone Please feel free to record your games in there, it makes a lot of people happy!

To sum up a long thread on Mantic boards, it really seems that as of Season 3, 3 teams are showing somewhat clear signs of being off-balance:
- Corporation and Nameless are doing a bit too good.
- Orx and Goblins are having a hard time.

Judwans got back to "balanced territory", and Forge Fathers are doing better overall.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
the Yellow Sign?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really think the only reason the Orx show signs of struggle is because in the box set you get both a team of Corp and Orx, and the Corp is by far easier to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
javascrybe wrote:
shadowdom999 wrote:

Hey. I'm that someone ;) Please feel free to record your games in there, it makes a lot of people happy! :D

To sum up a long thread on Mantic boards, it really seems that as of Season 3, 3 teams are showing somewhat clear signs of being off-balance:
- Corporation and Nameless are doing a bit too good.
- Orx and Goblins are having a hard time.

Judwans got back to "balanced territory", and Forge Fathers are doing better overall.

Cheers!

I had a feeling about the nameless, the corpies though is interesting. Any thoughts as to why?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Wygant
United States
Coraopolis
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
My thought is the balance of strikers and guards without any offsetting negative characteristics.

In the box game the orcs have to get a kill or two in the first half of the game to win in the second.

Just my thoughts

Sincerely,

That Lee Guy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Roberts
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My group has played quite a bit of Dreadball, including completing an 8 team league with a 9 game schedule and continuing players (experience carrying over). This was after about a 4-6 month period of regular play (1-2 games/week) just to get ready for a league. Our conclusion was that the game is not that well-balanced. In one-off games, it's a little better, but over the course of a campaign, the hitting teams take a game loss or two early, but choke out the scoring teams fairly easily. Veer-Myn are a joke until they get a skill 4 striker (who then had a life expectancy of 1-2 games as everyone smashed and fouled him to death). Robots were ridiculous, going from elite guard to elite striker at will. Orx were great in campaign, as they take very few casualties and generally beat up the other teams so bad that they never recover. Forge Fathers are the same, except their scoring is such a joke that they struggle in perpetuity as there is no way to ever make their striker worth having.

We are in the process of house-ruling a LOT of game, maybe even re-pointing some of the models, because so much of it is imbalanced. We still find it fun, but there is some stuff that is just ridiculous. Don't get me started on the coaches and how underpriced they are...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.