Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Our game group played this game last night at our weekly meeting, I have played this game once before but just can't get a hold on why people like this game. All you do is move about placing room tiles, drawing cards, rolling dice to see if a haunt begins. This game is boring and not to much fun for me. One thing I dislike is the fact that you know who the traitor is because they have a rule book of their own to follow once the haunt begins the traitor has to go to another room and read what he/she has to do and the other players have to read their portion of the senario that is being played. I just don't like the mechanics of this game. Sorry folks, I know some people are really into this game I am as you have just read am not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Newman
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Why do people have fun playing this game? Same reason that you have fun playing a game that other people don't like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew W.
United States
Monessen
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Taoist, Pittsburgh Sports fan, and welcoming to people who are kind, from any walk of life.
badge
I have been playing games since the Atari 2600, Candy Land, Chuttes and Ladders, Go Fish, & the Apple ii. Supporting "the Geek" since 2006
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing with enthusiasm also helps this game in question. It helps to have a group that likes to ham it up, or at least likes to put one's tongue firmly in cheek. Once the haunt/traitor scenario begins, then it gets more suspenseful as one would expect a game of this genre to be. The early game is more about the acquisition of items, the min/maxing of your character, and the revelation of the board through room tiles. You might be looking for the flavor of the game too soon if you expect it before the scenario.

Personally, we just like to yuck it up when unlikely room adjacentcy placements happen, and opportunities for bad puns show up.

It's a very light, fun game. I wouldn't expect to feel like you're walking through the local Rotary Club's Halloween Haunted house fundraiser.

I'm sorry it doesn't grab you. Different folks have different fun. I hope you find something you do like next time around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrel Lohr
United States
Lusk
Wyoming
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
Redbeardin84 wrote:
Personally, we just like to yuck it up when unlikely room adjacentcy placements happen, and opportunities for bad puns show up.

That is a big part of the fun. I know in our games, we have had a lot of cases where a character will discover "Smoke" in a room, and then promptly run and find the Kitchen (by random luck, of course). I *wonder* where that smoke came from in the first place It is kind of a running joke.

But you really have to like bad horror movies to get the most out of the game. I have heard some people refer to the game as an RPG board game, and that probably isn't far from the truth. It is the most fun when you really get into your characters and play them in the most wild or cliched styles possible.

Last night when we played this, the other player ended up having to try making Knowledge roll with Ox Bellows... it was a comedic situation, with Ox pounding the keys on the organ trying to play the right note... and the player vocalized Ox's frustrations and horrible ignorance while making the attempts

If you just play the game mechanically through, it would be pretty boring. It just takes the right mindset and group of players to have it be a lot of fun, but that is true for every game.

-Tyrel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Figgins
United States
Woodland
California
flag msg tools
badge
http://lyrislaser.com
mbmbmbmbmb
It's colorful and attractive.
It's relatively fast to play.
It evokes many good (and bad) horror cliches.
It offers some RPG-ish character improvement without being complex.
You don't know at the start who will be the traitor, and what the Haunt will be. That unpredictability is fun.

It's definitely not a game you play to 'win', because winning is as much a matter of luck as skill. But it is a game you play because it's just fun. Sometimes a well-executed theme can carry a relatively meaningless game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.