Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Yunnan» Forums » Rules

Subject: Displacing Multiple Merchants rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gemini6Ice Gemini6Ice
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
When a player with higher influence moves multiple merchants into a provide, does that player get to displace one merchant for each of their own merchants moved in? Or just one total?

The grammar of the rulebook is ambiguous, and we are at a disagreement. One displacement per merchant seems a bit unreasonably cruel to the player already most behind.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty sure it's one per merchant.
3 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Haag
Germany
Muenchen
Deutschland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it is one displacement per trader moved into the province.
4 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gemini6Ice Gemini6Ice
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, both!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Haag
Germany
Muenchen
Deutschland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Caversham wrote:
Yes, it is one displacement per trader moved into the province.


Let me rephrase this: it is one displacement per trader ending his move in the province.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gemini6Ice Gemini6Ice
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Caversham wrote:
Caversham wrote:
Yes, it is one displacement per trader moved into the province.


Let me rephrase this: it is one displacement per trader ending his move in the province.


You are rephrasing to distinguish from traders moving into a province (from being displaced), correct? Or is there a third way in which a trader moves into a province? (Our rules teacher said that a single trader may move only one province per round: we may not use our two movement points on the same trader.)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gemini6Ice wrote:
(Our rules teacher said that a single trader may move only one province per round: we may not use our two movement points on the same trader.)


That's wrong.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Haag
Germany
Muenchen
Deutschland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I rephrased to make clear that a trader must end his move in order to be able to displace another trader.

Traders having been displaced are not allowed to displace another trader in the province they have been displaced to.

And you can spend your movement points on any number of traders, just one or all or only some of them. Therefore you can move a single trader more than one province.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gemini6Ice Gemini6Ice
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Caversham wrote:
I rephrased to make clear that a trader must end his move in order to be able to displace another trader.

Traders having been displaced are not allowed to displace another trader in the province they have been displaced to.

And you can spend your movement points on any number of traders, just one or all or only some of them. Therefore you can move a single trader more than one province.


Thank you!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Hang
msg tools
Thanks for the author's response. But I do still have a question.
According to your explanation: "you can spend your movement points on any number of traders, just one or alll or only some of them." Then could it be possile that one choose not to move some or all his/her traders?

Since the rulebook said in page 6: " Move all or part of your Traders in the Provinces". Does this mean every player should at least move one of his/her own traders?

Otherwise, one can choose to remain still in one particular province, accumulating as many reveneues as possible, and this may lead to victory as well.

Thank you!
(We are players from Taiwan and enjoy this Orient-themed boardgame a lot!)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Haag
Germany
Muenchen
Deutschland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hangyu wrote:

According to your explanation: "you can spend your movement points on any number of traders, just one or alll or only some of them." Then could it be possile that one choose not to move some or all his/her traders?

Yes, you are allowed to not move any traders at all. I should have written: "You can spend your movement points on any number of traders, none or all or only some of them."

Hangyu wrote:

Since the rulebook said in page 6: " Move all or part of your Traders in the Provinces". Does this mean every player should at least move one of his/her own traders?

No, you do not need to move your traders if you don't want to.

Hangyu wrote:

Otherwise, one can choose to remain still in one particular province, accumulating as many reveneues as possible, and this may lead to victory as well.

Yes, you can choose to remain still and accumulate all the revenue you get. It is up to your opponents to spoil that strategy.

Nice to hear that you like the game!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Haag
Germany
Muenchen
Deutschland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jvdv wrote:
Caversham wrote:
Traders having been displaced are not allowed to displace another trader in the province they have been displaced to.


This was unclear to me from the rulebook, in the sense that your remark makes it seem allowable for the Displaced Trader on its own player's turn to Move and Displace.
Am I correct in that assumption?


Hmm, sorry, I should have written: Traders, while being displaced during the turn of another player, are not allowed to displace another trader in the province they are displaced to.

In their own turn, Traders may move and displace regardless of their having been displaced during an earlier turn of another player.

So yes, your assumption is correct.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.