Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » General

Subject: Advanced Weapons System vs. Interphase Generator rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan M D Thomas
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So Advanced Weapons System and Interphase Generator are two options for keeping a cloaked ship ticking. They work in different ways, but both can be annoying to face against.

Personally, I like the Interphase Generator better. It screams 'don't attack me' and can force your opponent in to bad choices and also directly save your hide when the dice go cold. On the downside, its a one time deal, so in a longer battle your defense will be reduced. Often enough though, just shrugging off one attack is enough the tide of battle.

The Advanced Weapon System is not without merit though. At first I dismissed it, but preventing targets locks for essentially the whole game can make cloaked ships quite difficult to take down. When I bring my tactical officers on Valdores I usually win, but the Advanced Weapon System makes for a pretty bad day for that fleet and any other that relies heavily on a target lock.

If you have the points to bolster your fleet with one or the other, which do you choose and why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Thorpe
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It really depends upon what you're facing as far as I'm concerned.

The interphase generator is in my opinion the best anti-"barrage of fire" or other pumped up attack dice roll defence in the game so if I'm going up against the high attack klingon build it's probably the first card I'll consider for a cloaked vessel with a tech slot.

On the other hand if going up against a build that relies heavily on secondary weapons to boost their attacks the ability to prevent being target locked, therefore rendering torpedoes, etc useless for a large part of the game can sometimes just tip the balance in it's favour.

Of course you could always go with the both as with the addition of Captain Stiles the list of ships you can now do this on has increased from just the Prateus to include:

Generics - Science Vessel, D'Deridex, Romulan Bird of Prey, Negh'Var, Vor'cha, Keldon

Named - Apnex, Khazara, Aj'rmr, Prateus, IKS Negh'Var, Maht-h'a, Ch'tang, Kraxon, Koranak

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally, it would depend on what I'm trying to do. I would take an Advanced Weapons System on the Ch'Tang or the Khazara to maximize their benefits, and an Interphase Generator on a high-value support ship - say, with Donatra, Gowron, or LE Martok. Other than that, it really comes down to what else I have in the fleet and what I'm trying to do. In general, I'd rather take something that ups my attack values (either directly like the three listed above, or indirectly, like Alexander or Romulan Tactical Officer) - though Polarized Hull Plating can be a godsend on a tough cloaked ship in order to prevent that last crit from coming through and ruining my day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
charles skrobis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In general, I really wouldn't choose either, and grab a projected stasis field instead. That way I can have a chance to wipe out a third to half of someone's fleet in a round, unless they're running an advanced weapon system.

As far as which one is better. It's the advanced weapons system, because the interphase generator only works while cloaked, and yes, while it can stop a game changing hit to happen, someone doing something like a projected stasis field or the negh'var ability and stopping you from cloaking,can break that one ship in a turn.

So while the interphase generator can be stopped from ever even working, the advanced weapon system is based on actions, and that's much harder to to stop. So unless you start colliding with ships or running through obstacles, there isn't really something to prevent its effectiveness during a match. Works even better when Martok allows you a second action for free, giving the ship more options too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan M D Thomas
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
charles_skrobis wrote:
In general, I really wouldn't choose either, and grab a projected stasis field instead. That way I can have a chance to wipe out a third to half of someone's fleet in a round, unless they're running an advanced weapon system.

As far as which one is better. It's the advanced weapons system, because the interphase generator only works while cloaked, and yes, while it can stop a game changing hit to happen, someone doing something like a projected stasis field or the negh'var ability and stopping you from cloaking,can break that one ship in a turn.

So while the interphase generator can be stopped from ever even working, the advanced weapon system is based on actions, and that's much harder to to stop. So unless you start colliding with ships or running through obstacles, there isn't really something to prevent its effectiveness during a match. Works even better when Martok allows you a second action for free, giving the ship more options too.

The Projected Stasis field is not without its downfalls.

You need an uncloaked ship to use it, which complicates things just a bit. That an losing a few attack dice. It a powerful card, I just haven't found a use for it yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Thorpe
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Put it on a high attack ship and use it in conjunction with a second ship with Barrage of Fire.

For example:

Vor'Cha 26
Martok (skill 9) 6
Stasis Field 5
Barrage of Fire 5

Vor'Cha 26
Gowron 4
Stasis Field 5
Barrage of Fire 5

RIS Vo 16
Donatra 4
Interphase Generator 3

Command Tokens 5

United Force Order 0

Total Build (110)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.