Robert Searing
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
Get cool game inserts at www.inserthere.me
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I'm more interested in playing this solo and wondering if someone could provide a comparison of DotZ vs Zombicide. If I had to get one - to play solo - which would you get, and why? Would really appreciate the advice.

Thanks,
Rob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Rob!
Dawn of the Zeds is a solitaire game, with a co-op player option. I believe Zombicide is a multi-player game, right?
Hermann
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rsearing wrote:
So, I'm more interested in playing this solo and wondering if someone could provide a comparison of DotZ vs Zombicide. If I had to get one - to play solo - which would you get, and why? Would really appreciate the advice.

Thanks,
Rob

I haven't tried Zombicide, but after quite a few solitaire games I consider DotZ the best solitaire I've tried so far, so even if you buy Zombicide I'd still recommend buying DotZ .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Searing
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're correct...but Zombicide has 1 player rules so assumed you could play solitaire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ainsworth
United Kingdom
Manchester
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since Zombicide is actually a steaming pile of crap I have to say Dawn of the Zeds. Mind you, even if Zombicide was pretty good and wasn't just collecting dust on my shelf it would still take something pretty amazing to beat DotZ.

(I will elaborate later on for you, I'm not being obnoxious on purpose! I'm just short on time for now.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
Zombicide works very well as a solitaire game and includes all the rules for it, right there in the box. The game is also a hell of a lot of fun! It takes a number of playes to see how the system works, and learn the best strategies, but once you get there it is solid gaming gold (please see my game commets for a breakdown on my own progression with the game).

One aspect that you may want to consider is that Zombicide is a huge game! You need a lot of real estate to play it, whereas I don't think that's the case for Dawn of the Zeds. I have the latter on my wishlist, and look forward to adding it to my collection, as I'm already a fan of the Victory Point Games States of Siege Series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both can be done solo however DotZ was designed exclusively for it, but you probably knew that. Pick Zombicide if you are a miniature/dungeon-crawleresque fan (+1 if you like painting minis). Pick DotZ if you are more of a grognard old-school wargame fan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played DotZ, but Zombicide is one of my favorite games and works amazingly well solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theron Seckington
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, I haven't played Zombicide, but did you mean how do they work tonally?

So far it seems like the answers are "yes, you can play both games solo."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Searing
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some good replies, thanks much. To answer post above...I really can't afford both. At Gencon, Zombicide components just looked amazing. It seems to be extremely popular. However, I game play means more. So, really, was wondering which one provided the best game play if main audience was going to be just me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DotZ by far
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rsearing wrote:
Some good replies, thanks much. To answer post above...I really can't afford both. At Gencon, Zombicide components just looked amazing. It seems to be extremely popular. However, I game play means more. So, really, was wondering which one provided the best game play if main audience was going to be just me.

I think Zombicide shines better in a social setting and the gameplay a bit on the simplistic side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Tucker
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Scottgun, plus Zombicide has some silly rules(shooting your own teammates, please!). The positive is Zombicide has some great minis, and lots of them! Dawn of the Zeds however is the most fun as far as gameplay goes, the mechanics perfectly match the theme. Since price is an issue I would get Dawn of the Zeds, I own both, but DotZ gets the most gameplay by far.It fits on a small desk, is highly portable and takes less than 2 minutes to set up. I suggest getting DotZ for the gameplay and with the money you save from not getting Zombicide get All Things Zombie(the boardgame)it is very similar in gameplay but way cheaper since it uses counters instead of minis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Searing
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott - thanks! Seems obvious now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ting Zhou
United States
Rowland Heights
CA - California
flag msg tools
mb
Both of them are great game. Zombieside has simple rule and need big table to lay those tiles, while DotZ only needs a desk next to your bed so you may play a game every night before going to sleep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Thornton
Australia
Edgeworth
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cutievalkyrie wrote:
Both of them are great game. Zombieside has simple rule and need big table to lay those tiles, while DotZ only needs a desk next to your bed so you may play a game every night before going to sleep.

My wife would kill me if I had this set up next to the bed. Mainly because I would be waking her up at all hours to have "just another turn"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kennedy
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Benzy311 wrote:
cutievalkyrie wrote:

My wife would kill me if I had this set up next to the bed. Mainly because I would be waking her up at all hours to have "just another turn"

Ben, just have your turn with your wife and then get back to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michal
Poland
flag msg tools
mb
When I had a choice I choose DotZ.

DotZ is a game in a box. Zombiecide is a game with tons of expansions witch ... require to spend tons of money.

2nd DotZ advantage is that it does not require a lot of space to play. Average desk is big enough to hold game map and help sheets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ting Zhou
United States
Rowland Heights
CA - California
flag msg tools
mb
HitchKennedy wrote:
Benzy311 wrote:
cutievalkyrie wrote:

Ben, just have your turn with your wife and then get back to the game.

LMAO!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.