Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So strange. It's already at US retailers, and still no rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duo Maxwell
United States
flag msg tools
mb
I went ahead and ordered it (Game) from Coolstuffinc.com
I ams supposed to get a shipment in a week. I will let you know my impressions. I always do a solo play (via. Rahdo style) to ensure that it is solid before playing it with friends. My friends are uber-sensitve and don't understand my love of board games. Board gaming is still fringe and viewed as odd. But beside that…they are quick to dismiss a game as weird if someone hasn't vetted the game throughly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel C. Martinez
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Kuala Lumpur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a pity neither the author nor the publishers seem to have created some sort of marketing or any information about the game.

My assumption is that it's either really good (and therefore will find its own way) or it's too bad and they hope to sell it to unwary buyers :)

Anyway, I'm also eager to read the rules before buying, interest in this one is really high...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Cantin
United States
Placerville
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope that Wyrd posts the rules online soon; I have received requests for them, but do not have permission to post them myself.

I put a lot of care into designing a solid set of mechanics; I sincerely hope that those who play it will have good experiences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Martin
United States
Fort Leavenworth
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cbrook29 wrote:
I went ahead and ordered it (Game) from Coolstuffinc.com
I ams supposed to get a shipment in a week. I will let you know my impressions. I always do a solo play (via. Rahdo style) to ensure that it is solid before playing it with friends. My friends are uber-sensitve and don't understand my love of board games. Board gaming is still fringe and viewed as odd. But beside that…they are quick to dismiss a game as weird if someone hasn't vetted the game throughly.

Your a brave and noble gamer, jumping on this for us! :) I look forward to hearing about it! Please post some pic. It looks like a game I would love, but in this world of uber-hype, the lack of it is very odd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel C. Martinez
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Kuala Lumpur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for chiming in Jonathan. It really looks like a very interesting game and I have my finger on the trigger but I've had my quota of "taking one for the team" this year.

I'll wait till the rules are out. Maybe you could e-mail the publisher once again? Point out the fact there are potential buyers waiting for the rules...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Martin
United States
Fort Leavenworth
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going the social media route:

I sent twitter and facebook messages to Wyrd yesterday. No response yet.

If you would like to pile on, we might get their attention:

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1015176129...

https://twitter.com/Grim6/status/405444854194257921
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Cantin
United States
Placerville
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings y'all,

Sine I have been PM'd several times for the rules and see that interested members are looking for more info, I figure I might as well step in and post this. It is an unofficial rules overview from me, the creator of the game. Though I may need to remove it if Wyrd asks me, etc. Hopefully we'll see a PDF of the rules or some other official Wyrd overview soon.

The game is set up with one of two sides of the board. One side is for a 4-player game with more available development land spaces, whereas the other side has more sea spaces. In 2-player games there are wasteland tiles that cover up some of the development land spaces. In each of these cases, the board is designed to force players to interact and compete for space do to the "tight" feeling of the board.

Spell and spacial end-game scoring cards are drawn at random to set up the variable bonus point conditions and the spells that the player's Warlock figures will be able to cast during the game. These cards stay in play through the entire game; this makes every game very different without introducing a luck factor (such as unexpected cards popping that derail a player's long term strategy, etc).

There are also tree tokens added during the setup phase to extend the printed tree icons on the board. The players add a set number of tree tokens in player order before they place any of their personal components. The tree icons and tokens mark areas that can be enclosed to gain VP under certain conditions. After that the last player selects a sea quadrant of the board to place his ship with his King character figure on it. Then, in reverse player order, the other players do the same.

In each player's supply area they have 40 unmarked wooden building blocks in their color, 8 other figures (besides the king which is already on their ship), 1 fountain block, and their 5 Action Point tokens and 1 Mana token.

Once the game is set up, the players take turns activating their figures and building structures with their blocks. Each action in the game costs a certain amount of Action Points. At the start of each player's turn, their Action Point tokens are flipped to their active sides. Sometimes players will temporarily have more or less than 5 Action Points (Thieves steal Action Points that are marked with moneybag symbols under certain conditions).

In order to get the character figures from their supply areas, players use their King's spacial ability of "summoning". Each character class has movement stats, special building abilities, and other special abilities. Here is the character class overview from the blurb:

Kings summon the other characters to the board from the supply.
Villagers are needed to build Houses (which can be converted into Towers and Palaces).
Artisans are necessary to complete the building of advanced structures.
Horses assist the other characters in their movements on the board.
Thieves can climb on Walls, and can steal Action Points from their rivals.
Knights can attack opponents' characters.
Warlocks can use their Mana to cast spells (which are different in each game).

Each player has the same set of 9 characters. The selection and order in which they are summoned to the board makes each player's force feel customized (asymmetrical in a sense).

Building structures is the main source of VP during the game. Structures also are central to the end-game scoring and many of the card-based end-game scoring scenarios. The various structures are simply made from stacking the building blocks in different ways under legal placement conditions.

Walls are single blocks built by any character class (except Horses)
Houses are 2 blocks stacked (built by Villagers on non-tree spaces)
Towers are 3-5 blocks stacked (built by the Warlock and Artisan on top of existing Houses)
Battlements are two base blocks with one sitting between on top (built by the Knight and Artisan on existing Walls)
Palaces are built from 4 Houses by adding 1 central block on top of them (built by the King and Artisan)
Fountains are built by placing the block with the Fountain sticker on top of a a base block (built on an existing Wall by the Artisan)
Pastures are enclosed tree areas (any structures of a player's color can be used to enclose Pastures)

Each type of structure earns a fixed amount of VP; the more advanced structures tend to earn the greater rewards. At the end of the game during the "Crowning Round" the final placement of each players' characters in accordance with their structures earns additional VP. For example, the Artisan can "throw" unused Action Points into his Fountain to gain 2 VP apiece; the Knight makes his connected Battlements into multipliers (4 Battlements is 4x4 = 16 VP); and the Horses score Pastures at 2 VP per tree icon with their legal borders.

A typical game usually goes something like this:

Players move their Kings into the main land area, introduce the characters that best suit their strategies, and compete for land areas to build their structures. At first the board is relatively vacant, but that quickly changes as players try to section off areas by placing basic structures in ways that tend to ward off opponents. Same players employ their Knights and Thieves to protect their areas and/or meddle with their rivals. After the the initial strike out for new land has simmered down, players often focus on building more advanced and higher valued structures such as Towers, Battlement chains, and Palaces. Some players focus a majority of their efforts on meeting the conditions of the special scoring cards.

After one player exhausted their entire supply of 40 building blocks, the end of the game is signaled (with some rare case exceptions). The current building round is completed, then one final round is initiated. This final is the so-called Crowning Round mentioned above. It mainly consists of one last chance each player to position their characters for optimum end-game scoring. Once that is done, the game is over and the VP from the special scoring cards is given out to qualifying players along with the standard end-game points. The player with the most VP is the winner.

I hope that helps give you a feel of the game. It is a zero-luck game with many liberties and options available to the players. Most sessions with experienced players range from 45-90 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Howell
United States
Lenexa
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I appreciate the rules summary but I really want to read the actual rules. I bought the game last weekend at my FLGS but have not opened it yet. I was hoping to be able to read the rules first. I emailed the company and got no response. I am taking the game back to the store tomorrow. The bad customer service tipped the scale for me. I think the game looks great but I am not risking $75 if the company won't even respond.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Cantin
United States
Placerville
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry that I do not have permission to post my master rules, nor the official rules from Wyrd to share with you and the rest here on BGG. I hope that in the future you get the chance to play the game and decide if it is something that you'd like to own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JonnyPac wrote:
I'm sorry that I do not have permission to post my master rules, nor the official rules from Wyrd to share with you and the rest here on BGG.

Why not?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Cantin
United States
Placerville
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not been in contact with Wyrd since August (Gen Con Indy). I was asked to sit quiet and let the company do its job. Being new to the game industry myself, I see it in my own best interest not to make waves right out the gate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This does not bode well for the game, given that:
a) the designer was told basically to "shut up" during the four months leading up to release
b) the designer asking the publisher about making rules available is "making waves"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In case anybody is still looking for them, the rules are available on Wyrd's website.

http://wyrd-games.net/community/files/file/16-kings-of-artif...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Howell
United States
Lenexa
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome, thanks!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.