Lance Runolfsson
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The door is a jar.
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you ever find your self rooting for your opponent? Because his dice have been sucking so hard that you feel bad for him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Maple Ridge
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When that happens, I invite my opponent to change dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Torgoose
United Kingdom
Boston
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LanceRunolfsson wrote:
Do you ever find your self rooting for your opponent? Because his dice have been sucking so hard that you feel bad for him.

No I remind him at the end of the night to bring his own dice next week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LanceRunolfsson wrote:

No, I don't. No quarter given, none sought! I am pleased when the god of fortune smiles upon my army!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Greensboro
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I do. When my opponent is being brutally diced, I stop having fun. It's one thing to roll badly on a few critical rolls and have the game turn against you; it's another to roll badly on everything and not accomplishing things which seemed like sure bets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Brandon
United States
North Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm the same. I play games to have fun and I don't have to win to have fun and I sure don't get pleasure out of my opponent having extreme bad luck. In fact, that kind of spoils the game for me too, as I'd rather win because I've played great, not because my opponent has had amazingly bad luck over and over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan The Man
United States
Unspecified
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My son was just that person when he was young. Couldn't roll a dice roll he needed to save his cardboard life.

I had a streak in SL comprising 10 games where, in toto, I broke one squad & one leader, and killed one halftrack. I killed more of my own leaders (4, by rolling 12 on a rally attempt) than the total number of casualties I caused to my enemies... We won't even discuss eliminated support weapons, main armament, leaders, and squads on my side of the ledger! I don't think I immobilized any vehicles, come to think of it - it could have been worse!!!

That was a brutal period. Offense, defense, Russian, American, German, whatever, didn't matter.shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Tewksbury
United States
Fitchburg
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
meh dice happen...

"Sometimes you eat the bear....sometimes the bear eats you."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LanceRunolfsson wrote:

This has never happened to me because it is usually my dice throwing skills that have failed me...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
LanceRunolfsson wrote:

Yep, I do - an occasional brick is great but it's no fun to have a long run of crap luck. And my opponents have hoped for good dice for ME after a really bad run...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ctewks wrote:
meh dice happen...

I agree. The only time I stop having fun is if my opponent starts whining about their bad luck. I make it a point to never whine about bad die rolls when they happen to me (and believe me, they do happen to me*), and I expect the same from my opponent. A quick expression of emotion when the die roll goes bad is fine (expletives included!), but after that, shake it off and get back to playing the game. Bad luck happens in real life too, so why shouldn't it happen in a wargame?

* as an example of an impressive string of bad dies rolls, I offer up my recent first turn experience in Stalingrad Pocket II. As the Russian player, I had around ten (10) separate barrage attacks lined up to kick off my offensive. Of these attacks, most of which were at or near the maximum firepower possible, I only scored positive results on maybe two (2) of them! Here was how I put it in my AAR:

The only unfortunate note regarding the opening of our operation is the unacceptable performance of our artillery forces. Both our conventional and our rocket artillery units were relatively ineffective in terms of preparatory bombardment and our initial infantry assaults suffered accordingly. The commanders of the offending units have been dealt with.

It should be noted that at the time of bad die rolling, I did utter a variety of colorful expressions of dismay, including the dropping of several Mk I F-Bombs, but I immediately got over it and drove on. I mean, it's a game - have some fun with your bad luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler
United States
Kent
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
ctewks wrote:
meh dice happen...

I agree. The only time I stop having fun is if my opponent starts whining about their bad luck. I make it a point to never whine about bad die rolls when they happen to me (and believe me, they do happen to me), and I expect the same from my opponent. A quick expression of emotion when the die roll goes bad is fine (expletives included!), but after that, shake it off and get back to playing the game. Bad luck happens in real life too, so why shouldn't it happen in a wargame?

Because it's not FAIR! whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whisky_bear wrote:
desertfox2004 wrote:
ctewks wrote:
meh dice happen...

I agree. The only time I stop having fun is if my opponent starts whining about their bad luck. I make it a point to never whine about bad die rolls when they happen to me (and believe me, they do happen to me), and I expect the same from my opponent. A quick expression of emotion when the die roll goes bad is fine (expletives included!), but after that, shake it off and get back to playing the game. Bad luck happens in real life too, so why shouldn't it happen in a wargame?

Because it's not FAIR! whistle

Anne Hathaway agrees!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler
United States
Kent
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I will add that the ONLY time I bitch about lousy dice is when I've been hearing an opponent carry on about their own. "Oh, you're going to spike a counter because you're experiencing a run of statistical noise? Well allow me to lose my shit once we regress to the mean."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .

Apex
North Carolina
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
whisky_bear wrote:
"Oh, you're going to spike a counter because you're experiencing a run of statistical noise? Well allow me to lose my shit once we regress to the mean."

I love this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
LanceRunolfsson wrote:

Not often enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
BryceCon Game Convention Jan 15-18 in Southern Utah www.brycecon.com
mbmbmbmbmb
All depends on how my opponent handles it. If he continues hoping for a good roll, jokes about his bad rolls, and all that, I'm fine with killing him off.

If he gets pissy, complains, whines, etc, then I hope he'll get a couple good rolls to shut him up, then that his bad luck will come back so I can slaughter him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stuart
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I confess that I have never experienced a full game in which luck, or lack of, has favored me or my opponent. The most extreme example I've experienced was in a game of Napoleon: The Waterloo Campaign, 1815, in which, in one battle, my opponent rolled four sixes with four dice (this gave him four kills). That fortuitous roll saved his Prussians from an early annihilation. Even in that game, however, the luck of the dice more or less evened itself out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeb
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no fun nor honor in nuking you opponent because they get a long string of bad luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Parker
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
My Little Man's first real wargame play: Barbarossa Solitaire
mbmbmbmbmb
I always have a plethora of dice handy. That way people (myself included) can always change their dice as often as they like.

I typically give people 4-6 dice at the start of the game simply because I HATE to roll the same die twice in a row and, if one of the dice are misbehaving, they can choose another. And I do provide a "timeout" corner for bad dice. It seems to help when people get tense if I can tell them "You can put your dice in timeout" and gives them an opportunity to vent. angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Where the heck did this interest in WW1 come from?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmb

I tend to notice my own bad luck with dice rather than my opponents. I have never had a game where I have thought that dice decided the outcome although my current game of Burma where the cream of the British units managed to hipshoot their way out with a single air attack after being trapped on a mountain road might come pretty close.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As the one who typically has the bad luck, I tend to empathize.

I lost a game yesterday because I could not hit and my opponent could not miss. When the game is decided by the dice rather than the tactics and strategy I find it less enjoyable and shift my attention to the social aspect to "save the day".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
In my game group, I am the one with the reputation of being lucky with the dice. I downplay it but I think that it is true and after years of paying attention to it, I suspect that it is true.

But how can it be. I use the same dice as the other players. I scrupulously roll them in my closed hands before throwing them. BUT the results don't seem to be random.

I have thought about it and have only 2 theories:

first theory:
There really are dice gods and I am one of their favored sons. I discount this as being silly. Sort of a joke.

The rest of this post is the second theory:
Humans may have a limited ability to get emotional feelings from a short time into the future. We would all have this ability but most of us just ignore it. This ability would give a feeling of something good or bad about to happen for people paying attention to their feelings.

If such an ability could develop it would certainly be an evolutionary advantage. You would get a bad feeling about going down a path in a forest and be more alert. As you go down the path a lion is encountered and because you were alert, you survive.

Of course such a predictive power is limited. If you were really feeling certain about the lion, then you would not go down the path in the first place and therefore would not get the encounter and therefore would not get the bad feeling in the first place. PARADOX! For this power to work you must get the bad feeling, yet go ahead with the action that causes the bad feeling anyways. In other words the predictive ability must be limited.

Back to dice. As I am juggling the dice in my hands before rolling them, I clear my mind, and wait for a feeling that it is time to let go. I roll the dice. I get the 6 I need. I get a little emotional rush which is what caused the feeling to let go of the dice in the first place.

My theory is that unlucky players are doing the same. But that they are in an emotionally opposite zone. They believe that they are unlucky. They say out loud..."With my luck, I am probably going to roll a "1" and lose my whole attacking army". They have put themselves into a frame of mind where they want to prove that they are right (unlucky). They shake the dice in their hands and let go when they get that bad feeling. They roll the expected "1". They lose their army. They feel bad. This triggers the bad feeling they got in the first place while shaking the dice in their hands.

This leaves the question of why would a player "lose on purpose" (even though no one at the gaming table thinks it is on purpose). Maybe to get sympathy. Maybe as a cover for inferior strategies (it is better to lose because of bad dice rolls than have everyone think that you are not a good game player.)Maybe its a habit. Maybe just to prove you are right in thinking that you are unlucky. Maybe your body picks up negative signals easily and not positive ones. Who knows?

Maybe this whole theory is just a load of crock... And maybe not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martyn Smith
England
Bourne
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
"We don't see things as they are, but as we are." Anais Nin
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmmm, do you have any comments to make on this thread:

It's just a ride...
England
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
mb

I'll be expecting a story to be retold... shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Willcockson
United States
Woodstock
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would never have myself or my opponent use the same dice all game if they were rolling poorly. I know it's psychological but perhaps there is some manufacturing defect? Probably not. However that is the number one reason I want to get precision dice, but only for use in ASL. I'm sure it would make very little difference, but once again for the psychological effect. But it isn't physical dice that I have a problem with most, it's that d*** ACTs die roller which I am now firmly convinced hates my guts. It's so bad I dread pushing the die roll button sometimes. I had one BtB game where I had nine combat rolls in a row that I rolled lower than my opponent which pretty much KO'd the Russians in 41. Ok... I know... now I'm doing it... robot

....or maybe it was seven but darn it it was a lot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.