United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are the results for the BGG.CON 2013 Puzzle Hunt! Thanks to everyone who played!

1 TAXI Whipping 238
2 WeeBabyShamus 233
3 Errant Gamers 232
4 Lemonyfresh 219
5 Team Verticon 219
6 ^__^ 217
7 Snifty Snakes 175
8 Goats on Fire 173
9 TeamJigsaw 166
10 Sink Sank Sunk 162
11 NaughtsOfTheRoundTable 153
12 Win, Lose, or Banana! 150
13 Cakeballs 147
14 16characterslong 143
15 UsualSuspects 137
16 Gringo Ate My Baby 134
17 Errant Gamers JV 133
18 Aqua M'Green 133
19 Sneaky Bastards 132
20 Humdingers 128
21 HanabiAgents 127
22 Pretty Floral Bonnet 126
23 Lightbulb 123
24 Escape artists 121
25 The Superpals 121
26 The Night Kill 119
27 Overkill 119
28 SunshineLollipop 117
29 Lorna and the Boyz 117
30 USSSaltcod 116
31 THEPENISMIGHTIER 114
32 ctulhu5 109
33 Domiknows 109
34 HardStrat 108
35 ram 107
36 spiderman 107
37 The Fighting Mongooses 105
38 Chicken Twister 105
39 Space Penguins 105
40 Nation of the Rising Pig 103
41 Gallifreyan Time Lords 96
42 A-Nation 94
43 Windy City Puzzlers 94
44 young wolf 94
45 brians back 89
46 Mammas Fritas 87
47 3 Ladies a Tom 84
48 The Browncoats 83
49 Slaves2AnimeFest 82
50 The Battleships 81
51 TreeLeftsandaRight 76
52 Eggnezel 75
53 Muppetatious Mayhem 71
54 Florida dice tower 69
55 WheresNeal 67
56 Marcus 66
57 Fake Kiwis 65
58 MuppetBabies 65
59 we love Canadian women 64
60 Houston Cruisers 62
61 Gnomies 57
62 Axis of Ignorance Redux 56
63 Nothing Comes to Mind 55
64 OutOfTime 55
65 Mustachios 52
66 catsinboxes 52
67 Team JAAM 47
68 Team Awesome 45
69 I like em all 36
70 crossdraggers 15
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rhodes
United States
Bella Vista
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Every year I find new and exciting things to do at BGG.CON. This was our first year to actually play puzzle hunt and although we came in 2nd from last (with 69 points) we had a blast and learned a new appreciation for puzzles in general.

I want to tell our story as to WHY this was fun FOR US. We were team 'I Like Em All' (2nd to last with 36 points).

Our team consisted of me and my wife (both 5th BGG.CON) as well as my 23 year old son and his girlfriend (2nd BGG.CON). None of us have every participated in Puzzle Hunt and had NO clue what we were getting ourselves into. We were uninitiated and unprepared, yet this did not diminish our enjoyment of the experience. We are not the typical puzzle players as we don't do crosswords, word jumbles(scrabble and the like), or even 'deductive reasoning' games in general. We play RULES games (not puzzles). Puzzle hunt was an 'awakening' so to speak. We spent quite a lot of time just trying to find out the 'rules' (methods) of the puzzles, but once we 'discovered' a few we were able to apply those new found methods to other puzzles. While we placed VERY low in the ranking, ranking didn't matter. We spent 2 hours doing something together that was very fun as each simple victory was a MAJOR victory for us.

We all loved the theme (our four players understood how Battleship the game works) and we enjoyed the HUGE number of puzzles presented. If we got stuck we knew we could move on and even a 'MISS' would still be worth SOMETHING. We basically worked in 2 groups. Boys and Girls (Me and my adult son, my wife and his girlfriend). If we ran into a roadblock on a puzzle we would put it into a 'worked' pile and move onto something else. More often than not, something that the first group has 'worked', the 2nd group woud look at and ask the other group questions about. Our 'initial findings' would clue the 2nd group into some NEW line of thinking that would ultimately find a solution. It really allowed us (again, as uninitiated puzzle players) to find the methods from the simpler puzzles, and then apply them to the harder puzzles.

All in all it was an absolutely enjoyable time for us (and seemed like too short of time as any truly enjoyable activity does) and it has given us a new appreciation of the 'simple' puzzle game and a realization that they truly are 'mental acrobatics'. We will hope to place higher in the ranks next year! But honestly, we will play again even if we rank the same. GOOD TIMES HAD BY ALL (in our group).

It is HARD for any activity undertaken by adults to make them feel like 10 year olds again (where time flies by too quickly)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crystal Stemberger
United States
Spring
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with Jason on this - this was my first Puzzle Hunt and it was just amazingly fun.

I played with my husband and our two friends (we were 16characterslong). We each contributed something different to the puzzles - our friends were good at figuring out the meta-parts like how to solve the puzzle, my husband was great at working out the word ones since he likes crosswords so much, and I was the catch-all. I'm not a puzzle-hunt kind of person, but the physical challenges were fun and I helped solve a few that needed to be seen from a different perspective than the guys had.

It worked well for us (#14 overall), BUT more importantly, we all had a ton of fun and agree that the 2 hours flew by way too fast. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Tompkins
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Never go in against a Sicilian when DEATH is on the line!
badge
You know what would be funny...
mbmbmbmbmb
darkflame7 wrote:
I'm with Jason on this - this was my first Puzzle Hunt and it was just amazingly fun.

I played with my husband and our two friends (we were 16characterslong). We each contributed something different to the puzzles - our friends were good at figuring out the meta-parts like how to solve the puzzle, my husband was great at working out the word ones since he likes crosswords so much, and I was the catch-all. I'm not a puzzle-hunt kind of person, but the physical challenges were fun and I helped solve a few that needed to be seen from a different perspective than the guys had.

It worked well for us (#14 overall), BUT more importantly, we all had a ton of fun and agree that the 2 hours flew by way too fast. :-)

Incredible scoring for your first hunt! Congratulations there...

I love introducing new people to the hunt each year - I cannot believe there were 70!!!!!!!! teams this year -so glad to see so many enjoying the work. Dave Arnott thanked two people (I believe it was Jeff's dad and son?) who sorted and packed the envelopes - there were 100 puzzles, and the copies arrived uncollated from the printer...

Huge thanks to everyone who works so hard to make this possible. It's the highlight of the convention every year for me - even with the wicked sense of humor that the puzzle-makers have. (I'm referencing the MEDIUM puzzle and the STAR puzzle here, Arnott!!!!!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roni Worley
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

This was my second time at BGG.con but my first to do the Puzzle Hunt. All of the events I participated in were great, but this was by far the best. I can't imagine how much time had to have gone into putting this together. The puzzles were so much fun. I'm still trying to figure some of them out. Thank you to everyone that had a part in putting this together for us!

My team was 3 Ladies and a Tom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Arnott
United States
Tarzana
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the nice words.

I can't tell you how giddy Aaron and I were when we first thought of this format. We were fairly confident it was a potential winner, and that really, all we had to do was not screw it up

The co-ordinates system also gave me many opportunities to inject some humor into the thing, which was fun for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Arnott
United States
Tarzana
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Scoring note, Team Verticon should actually have 4 more points:

4 Team Verticon 223
5 Lemonyfresh 219
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebekah Newman
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
We've played the Puzzle Hunt the last five years and especially loved the format this year! Thanks for putting it all together!

Do you have the answers up anywhere?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Tompkins
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arnott wrote:
Thanks for the nice words.

I can't tell you how giddy Aaron and I were when we first thought of this format. We were fairly confident it was a potential winner, and that really, all we had to do was not screw it up

The co-ordinates system also gave me many opportunities to inject some humor into the thing, which was fun for me.

I definitely noticed a lot of this. Several puzzles I got to the answers and felt like you were staring at me from the page with that big grin on your face...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Tompkins
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice team names too - several near-laugh-out-loud moments reading through that list!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did the Puzzle Hunt the previous two years and this one was my favorite. It is one of the events that I specifically look forward to every year.

My only criticism is the overfilling of the room. Our group left and we ended up missing out on announcements, having to travel for dexterity puzzles, not knowing when the hunt was over, and overall missing out on the exciting buzz of tables around you solving problems.

I don't have a good solution -- I don't want to limit the players. Everyone should be able to participate in this incredible event. Maybe smaller tables or more players per team? Each table had a lot of wasted space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our table did not have wasted space, it was nice to spread the puzzles out so that we could find a puzzle for a coordinate easier, and to organize puzzles that we couldn't solve.

My first puzzle hunt, my team did great, my contribution was the dexterity puzzles, and that was about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deborah Parker
United States
Aggieland
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This was the first year that I participated in the Puzzle Hunt and it was an absolute blast. Excited our team came in 47th but who cares it was fun. I have a suggestion with how you can communicate with all the groups during the hunt without running yourself ragged. Use Remind101.com it allows you to send out text messages from a general account. I am a teacher and this is how I send out alerts to my students. It is free and easy to use. You just have to set up the account and share the sign up info with the teams and you are done. Then just send out your messages. I would also love to know about the programming done for the website you used for the event. I use technology in my classroom all the time and this was truly amazing. Thanks again for such a great CON. Can't wait for next year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Selinker
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This was one of the best puzzle hunts I've ever participated in. And I might have participated in a few puzzle hunts.

Mike (Team Verticon)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.