Recommend
5 
 Thumb up
 Hide
35 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Police Precinct» Forums » News

Subject: Kickstarter #2 (for The 2nd Edition) -- The Official Thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the official thread for our 2nd Kickstarter, which is about to begin.

At the time of this writing, we have one kickstarter running (8 days left).

We wanted to have both Threads side-by-side to reduce confusion and make info easier to find.

We wanted to do the best possible job of communicating about both of these campaigns so that fans of the game who are trying to decide which kickstarter might be best for them, have a place to come and learn more.

Our hope is that both Kickstarters will be running side-by-side for some period of time.

Keep your fingers crossed, and it should happen.



Stay Tuned, Updates are coming!

LAUNCHED!

It's up and running now, and HERE'S THE LINK...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1529038443/police-precin...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Brief Description of Campaign #2:

LENGTH: 60 days

LAUNCH DATE: Thanksgiving Day (this is a target, but actual could be earlier or later)

PRIMARY FOCUS: 2nd Edition

ADD-ONS: The Heat, Rioting Gangs, etc

DELIVERY DATE: Late 2014 (estimate)

LIKELY BACKER: Someone who has heard great things about Police Precinct, but never got around to picking up a copy of the now sold-out game.

BIGGEST DIFFERENCES: To sum it up, one Kickstarter will offer the 2nd edition, and one won't. The other big difference is that one will deliver VERY FAST, and the other will deliver more at normal-Kickstarter-speed.

LINK: tbd
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
UPDATE:

Coming soon.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Common Man Games wrote:

LAUNCH DATE: Thanksgiving Day (this is a target, but actual could be earlier or later)


For those of us who are outside the US, um... when is that, exactly? I have the vague idea that it's a Thursday for some reason.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Collier
United States
Plattsburgh
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bichatse wrote:
Common Man Games wrote:

LAUNCH DATE: Thanksgiving Day (this is a target, but actual could be earlier or later)


For those of us who are outside the US, um... when is that, exactly? I have the vague idea that it's a Thursday for some reason.


Thursday November 28th this year
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We are now thinking Wednesday (tomorrow), and not Thanksgiving Day.

We don't have proper pricing yet for EU / Canada & WW, but...

I think we need to launch this thing somehow, so...

watch for this in the next 24 hours!

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
UPDATE:

I am beginning to get some good feedback from BNW and Tao, so there are just a few more details to take care of.

Launch in the next 120 minutes is likely.

Stay Tuned!!!

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Manteca
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Very exciting!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This project is now live: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1529038443/police-precin...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
UPDATE:

It's up and running now!

here is the link...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1529038443/police-precin...

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dang, you're fast Jonathan!!!!

I gotta wake up earlier in the morning to get the worm!

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
What's the difference between the 1st edition for EU and the second edition? The price difference is huge

EDIT:

Nevermind I just saw it... it's the 1st game... one is for the ones that already have it and the other is for the ones that don't have the game
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
No economic package for us here in Europe?

EDIT:

Backed it anyway... always wanted this game... 12th to do it
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Paulo you da Man!!!!

thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I just don't get why KS creators purposely make things confusing.

First - the biggest issue for 1st edition is typos. The LAST thing I want to see on your KS page is poor grammar and spelling errors like:

Double sided-Tokens, German Edition, and most importantly Naked Guy Running in Traffic Even Card.

It doesn't inspire much confidence that the spelling errors will be corrected for the 2nd edition (or that new ones won't show up).

Second - The whole early birds ship after the normal tier pledge, but wait, we might even add in a third pledge that ships out before everyone else's ... what??? The LAST thing ANY kickstarter should be doing is messing around with shipping. Too many KS' get a bad rap when some people get their copies, others don't. Just have one shipping window instead of creating this confusion.

Third - and this has to do with the above and other things...please make it seem like you actually HAVE thought this KS out. When you say, we might add another pledge level, we might add a dice game, we might do this, we might do that...well what ARE you doing? Do you know? Is their a gameplan? I don't want to know about FUTURE kickstarters on the page, I just want it FOCUSED on the current one.

Fourth - two kickstarters at the same time...? Why? You're already messing with delivery dates, you might as well say those who only pledge for the expansion get their games at the close of the KS while those waiting on the main game wait until the end of the year. This means we would have been half way to funding on the 2nd campaign, instead of being a fifth of the way there.

Maybe I'm spoiled, but my first KS was for Viticulture, and that was THERE first KS and it was run so smoothly (games came on time, clear stretch goals, clear pledge levels, etc). Now their second KS, Euphoria, again is running smoothly (games are already shipped, their December delivery date on schedule).

I'm interested in the game, but this KS has me concerned. It doesn't seem to be run smoothly and it makes me think I'll wait for it's retail release instead of giving up my money now.

There really is not much info on the game itself on that page (links to videos are great, but since we can't always watch them, text should always be a back up), and as I understand it, you WOULDN'T want to link people to the current rulebook. You've given up most of the KS page explaining about the other KS project, possible future KS' and the inside baseball info on the shipping. And I think you've missed the mark in thinking that we all look to Tom Vasel to tell us what's good and what isn't...I already know I have different tastes than he does.

Sorry to slam, I am currently backing, but it just doesn't seem like the KS is being run well, efficiently, whatever. It seems to be a scatter shot mess. It seems like you rushed to get it up there because of the, shall we say, competing KS, and it shows.

Jorune



1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jorune wrote:

I'm interested in the game, but this KS has me concerned. It doesn't seem to be run smoothly and it makes me think I'll wait for it's retail release instead of giving up my money now.


I don't know if you were involved with the first-edition Police Precinct kickstarter campaign, but that was one of the the cleanest KS campaigns I've backed. I don't think I remember any hiccups, and the game arrived not-that-late, which is pretty good by KS standards. (I know there were issues with the 1st edition, but I wouldn't say that there were issues with the KS for the 1st edition.)



From working with the chap for a bit, I'm pretty sure that Karl/CMG really is just interested in making sure that there's an option to accommodate everyone, that the new expansion can be in people's hands as quickly as possible without waiting for the second edition to print, and that everyone understands what may happen so that nobody feels like they're being hard done by. I appreciate it can look a bit scattershot but I'm certain it's done with the best intentions.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Bias
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to back this game but not with an estimated delivery of December of next year. Why is a game that is pretty much finalized (as far as art and other files) and has been produced before expected to take that long? I'm sad to say I'm passing on this for that reason.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dbias84 wrote:
I would love to back this game but not with an estimated delivery of December of next year. Why is a game that is pretty much finalized (as far as art and other files) and has been produced before expected to take that long? I'm sad to say I'm passing on this for that reason.


While I admire being more realistic than most KS with delivery dates, I have to agree actually. More than a year from KS launch to delivery for a 2nd edition of an established game with only "minor" changes is pretty outrageous.

What I most need to know before committing to such a long wait is:

- Is the 2nd Edition going to have the same MSRP as the 1st?

- Are there any exclusives or stretch goals that will be included in the base game that won't be in the retail edition? (without additional add-on cost)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree the Dec 2014 estimate seemed to be a pretty long way away for a game that is pretty much done (all the mini expansions/promos are available for the Heat expansion and shipping early 2014). I'm hoping it is just a very conservative estimate/guesstimate. Do you already have a time reserved with the printing company?

I don't mind the TBA stretch goals given it is a 60 day campaign (as long as they are announced within the next few weeks). I've seen other campaigns announce stretch goals as they are unlocked.

The KS page could use a little bit of overhauling but CMG has proven to me they have the best intentions and will do everything in their power to deliver.

Just hope they remember to fix the compass on the game board and there are no incorrect cards
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jorune wrote:





Fourth - two kickstarters at the same time...? Why? You're already messing with delivery dates, you might as well say those who only pledge for the expansion get their games at the close of the KS while those waiting on the main game wait until the end of the year. This means we would have been half way to funding on the 2nd campaign, instead of being a fifth of the way there.

Maybe I'm spoiled, but my first KS was for Viticulture, and that was THERE first KS and it was run so smoothly (games came on time, clear stretch goals, clear pledge levels, etc). Now their second KS, Euphoria, again is running smoothly (games are already shipped, their December delivery date on schedule).

I'm interested in the game, but this KS has me concerned. It doesn't seem to be run smoothly and it makes me think I'll wait for it's retail release instead of giving up my money now.

There really is not much info on the game itself on that page (links to videos are great, but since we can't always watch them, text should always be a back up), and as I understand it, you WOULDN'T want to link people to the current rulebook. You've given up most of the KS page explaining about the other KS project, possible future KS' and the inside baseball info on the shipping. And I think you've missed the mark in thinking that we all look to Tom Vasel to tell us what's good and what isn't...I already know I have different tastes than he does.

Sorry to slam, I am currently backing, but it just doesn't seem like the KS is being run well, efficiently, whatever. It seems to be a scatter shot mess. It seems like you rushed to get it up there because of the, shall we say, competing KS, and it shows.

Jorune





Hey Jorune!

Thanks for all the great advice!!!

Appreciate it!

I agree about Stonemaier, and Jamey's a great guy.

Sorry I missed that "T" in Event. Good Catch!

We have a lot of great editors and proofers, but could always use more if your interested. You obviously have an eye for that.

Let me know if your interested.

Though short, there is so much history with Police precinct and many folks with different points of view involved with it. We've been listening to them (you-all), getting to know them, and trying to navigate the best path to help all the fans have a decent chance of getting what they want and to be able to pick the best option for themselves. The other thing that goes on is all the behind the scenes stuff. Things that the fans can't see. That's affecting outcomes too. Not to mention that even the smallest aspect of a game (or a Kickstarter campaign) can be so very complicated (even when it appears from the outside to be the opposite).

I guess what I'm saying is...

We are doing our best, and with the help of so many (people like you) we are striving to get better all the time.

Just to give you an idea of what I'm talking about in terms of us getting help from folks like you, here is the credits page for Police Precinct...

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1073659/the-credits-for-poli...

We are small and don't have the budget or manpower of a big company, so we just focus on creating great games and on then making them better over time.

Everyone on the credits page has helped make Police Precinct what it is today.

Let me know if you are interested in helping make Police Precinct better. Would love to have you.

Thanks again for all the great advice.

Happy Thanksgiving!



Karl

Karl Fenner, Director
Common Man Games
Denver, CO USA
karl@commonman.com
www.commonman.com
Skype: CLG.tel
BGG: Common Man Games

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:


What I most need to know before committing to such a long wait is:

- Is the 2nd Edition going to have the same MSRP as the 1st?

- Are there any exclusives or stretch goals that will be included in the base game that won't be in the retail edition? (without additional add-on cost)


Hey Dante!

MSRP will be the same.

Retail edition will be the same.

Thanks!



1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
belial1134 wrote:
I agree the Dec 2014 estimate seemed to be a pretty long way away


Hey Jason!

I agree, the time-frame is on the long side.

Our plan is to shock backers with speed of delivery with both campaigns.

I'm not aware of any Kickstarter that has tried to deliver as fast as we plan to deliver The Heat.

Then with the 2nd Edition, I want to BOTH focus on quality (making sure we present a great product), BUT ALSO...

Deliver within the estimated time-frame, and in fact well ahead of it.

Things can happen that are out of the control of a publisher, so just because I firmly believe that we will succeed in beating the time game, issues could block this from happening.

If this does occur, then I would rather deliver right on time, than months late.

Wish us luck, because it never hurts!

That said, I think if you stick with us as a backer, that you will be very happy with the end result (timing/quality/etc).

Also a big Happy Thanksgiving to you as well!

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter J
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion, this new kickstarter is too convoluted for what should be a straightforward revision of an already released product. December 2014? Really?

Why not just do a reprint with the fixed compass and fixed cards and sent it to stores.




2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Bias
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
appleb wrote:
In my opinion, this new kickstarter is too convoluted for what should be a straightforward revision of an already released product.



This.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
appleb wrote:
In my opinion, this new kickstarter is too convoluted for what should be a straightforward revision of an already released product. December 2014? Really?

Why not just do a reprint with the fixed compass and fixed cards and sent it to stores.






Hi John!

and...

Hi Doug!

Great to see you-guys taking an interest in what we are doing.

really good comments.

There is a lot that is going on in the background with Police Precinct that affects what we are doing, and have driven us to take the path we are taking.

One of those things is the "Melt-Down" which left us with no ID files for the game.

This effectively forced us to re-do the whole game.

Without doing this, the game would be very limited.

One example of this is no German version.

We want a German Version and then many languages to come after that.

It would also cripple our ability to make expansions for the English version.

The effects of this are profound.

In many ways, our being forced to re-create the game is harder than having to create an entire game from scratch.

The whole process is very time intensive and expensive.

I am only discussing one of the reasons here, there are many others.

It's a very complicated subject.

Thanks again guys!



 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.