Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wales
Aberystwyth
Ceredigion
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this game compatible with the latest ruleset? If so, what would be the difference between this game, with the latest rules, and Guderian's Blitzkrieg 2?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wales
Aberystwyth
Ceredigion
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, but I've no real knowledge of OCS system so please forgive the follow-up question; I couldn't simply use the v4 rules with the counters and maps provided with this boxed set?

If I was to dive into OCS, would you recommend a particular title?

Thanks for your patience
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wales
Aberystwyth
Ceredigion
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great, thanks very much.

I liked the N64...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmond
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was however upgraded to v2 to be compatible with "Enemy at the Gates". I have a scan of 2 page upgrade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Hollander
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm getting back into OCS after a long absence and I'm wondering about this myself. The OCS line became badly infected by monster-itis, and this *should* be a good re-introduction. Two maps, and a mere 13 week campaign game (26 turns under the later rules). Imagine that.

The Xmas '94 mailing had an update to get GB up to the 2.0 rules. Although GB is officially orphaned, it seems to me that taking it from 2.x to 4.x shouldn't be any harder than with Enemy at the Gates, which is still supported. Along with the 2.0 upgrade, I gather that the planes might need to be updated, presumably from GBII values (other older games had published upgrades at the time of GBII, though I don't know if this was dictated by the rules or just new research). [Edit: Xmas 2000 updated all of the EatG planes for v3 with back side values, subtracting 1 from Air to Air and halving Barrage of the front values, as noted in the current errata ... so that should be the way to go with GB for v3/v4, rather than looking at GBII values.] And probably the supply values reduced from the already reduced 2.0 values, as recommended for EatG. The problem is that the experts have moved on, so whatever other game-specific tinkering might be warranted hasn't been done enough to filter out to the masses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armando Signore
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As Edmond says (It was however upgraded to v2 to be compatible with "Enemy at the Gates". I have a scan of 2 page upgrade.), there is an upgrade article I think that came out in one of the The Gamers Operations magazines years ago. The article lists changes to supply and some unit positioning. The air is fine exc for the ranges which can be adjusted as per the new rules. I have played GB using the reboot and it was enjoyable. I think it still favors the Germans in the early game but they can run out of steam at the end. It is definitely a good one to use to get back into OCS, as there are enough units to have fun with and learn how to manage a supply network etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Taylor
United States
Kearny
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Hello all,

I finally have some time to devote to OCS and I tried the first learning scenario: Move and Mode using the 4.2 rules. I couldn't figure out how to get that infantry regiment into Oral in combat mode. Here's a email I received from Dean Essig:
"Hi Greg!

Yep, you can play GBI with the OCS v4.2 rules, the supply amounts will be way too generous, and you’ll need markers from a later OCS game, but you could have a lot of fun.

For that scenario, it’s been a while, but IIRC, the key is to overrun and hip shoot to open the needed hexes and then make full use of Reserve movement followed by Exploitation of the same unit to move far enough to get there… but also if memory serves, units in Reserve moved a lot further than the 1/4 allowed these days in the original. So, that difference might be making it ‘a hex too far’.

Hope that helps!

Dean"

Even bumping up Reserve mode didn't help. It turns out there are two full Player turns in a game turn in OCS v1.

Hope this saves someone from banging there head against the wall should they try to play GB1 with v4.2 rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.