BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Up all night playing ______? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
Apologies if this thread has been done before, but I thought it would be a fun one. Do you own any game (or games) that you find yourself wanting to literally stay up all night playing, no matter how tired you are? "Just one more game" turns into a few more, until the sun finally comes up. Or maybe it's a really long game where only a couple of games means staying up all night?

Last night we had a four player game night and I found that whilst we were having fun, we were changing games every one or two games. Granted these were mostly games like King of Tokyo, but I was thinking it would be cool if we had a game where the four of us absolutely did not want to change the game up all night.

So let's have it...which game do you find yourself staying up, or wanting to stay up all night playing??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Stapley
United States
Lyman
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Knight. Luckily it only takes one well placed game to stay up all night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bishop of East Anglia
New Zealand
Lower Hutt, WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
I'm, I'm afraid there's been a mistake. The man who has been speaking to you is an impostor. He is not in fact the Bishop of East Anglia, but a man wanted by the police. I am the Bishop of East Anglia and anyone who doesn't believe me can look me up
badge
Think of me as the Bishop of East Anglia
mbmbmbmbmb
Junta

And

Werewolf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Gustafson
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
“The elements of good trading are: (1) cutting losses, (2) cutting losses, and (3) cutting losses. If you can follow these three rules, you may have a chance.” – Ed Seykota
mbmbmbmbmb
Poker
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
Chess - these days online, ~20 years ago we regularly played f2f until 6am on Saturdays. This happens frequently. I've learned not to login at PlayOK unless I know the disturbed sleep pattern can be recovered before my next work week.

We go away for gaming weekends and there are lots of all night sessions. Starting to teach Dominant Species at 11pm is a recipe for a late finish. The Scepter of Zavandor is a good pick too (hello Aneirin). In the past Settlers of Catan, RoboRally, Illuminati and Blue Max were often allnighters, now Dominion and Terra Mystica have "all night pull".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
SamNzed wrote:

Oh yeah. Forgot that one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly N.
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't done this is in a while, mainly because of my insignificant other yuk, but when I was younger this often happened when playing Risk at the Sykora's house....my best friends. (RIP Jett, miss you Brother!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly N.
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Dave Hall for the wonderful memories!! cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
The night I played Limbo I went through the whole thing. Took me around six hours and I didn't get to bed until early the next days morning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Ham
United States
The Colony
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
HONK HONK
mbmbmbmbmb
"Well, it's 9 PM, if we start a game of Ikusa now, we might be done by 4..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick somers
United States
wyandotte
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Biblios, always seem to play again and again at the end of a session.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom D.
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
howdyhamster wrote:
"Well, it's 9 PM, if we start a game of Ikusa now, we might be done by 4..."

Oh yes... That one definitely has the pull.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I'm too old for board game all nighters, I haven't done one in years. (I think I pulled a computer game all nighter a few months ago but I don't remember which game.)

I did play 7 Wonders and Lords of Waterdeep recently with a friend of mine until about 2am, which considering I normally go to bed around 11 was a little late.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wiz-War, hands down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse G
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkham Horror….

Good lord, the setup alone is like 20 mins…

Love the game, but there are times playing solo, that i half expect the glint of the rising morning sun to make an appearance...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Yum
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb

In college, we played Cosmic Encounter incessantly. Once we played until the wee hours of the morning before a final exam. Ack! Another time we had to find a place to play and ended up playing in this elevator (carpeted) in one of the lecture buildings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Chell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkham Horror

This. And often have :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nagato Fujibayashi

Athens
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Done it with Napoleon's Triumph.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Any Advanced Squad Leader Campaign Game would apply here meeple

We also did that with the World War III campaign scenarios of the Fleet Series and some other epic wargames.

And there was this evening, when someone suggested at midnight "why don't we play a quick game of 1869: USA West" ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First game of Relic saw us packing it in at almost 3am. (I should point out that we'd started at 11pm, foolishly, we weren't at the mercy of ten hours of bad dice rolls.)

If the house is quiet, and I don't have to get up the next day, I'm typically happy to set up a game and play as long as I can. (Quite happy to leave it up and finish in the morning, too.) I think the last one was either Arkham Horror or Pax Porfiriana - although I can see Firefly: The Game getting that treatment some time this week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.