Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pete McNamara
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I've been playing Waterloo 20 a bit lately. I'm enjoying the game because it is quick and so far every game has been very different as I'm learning the rules and mostly playing solo.

I know nothing about the Napoleanoic era or the battle of Waterloo (other than who won and who lost). I'm interested in a book about Waterloo (similar to say Sears "Gettysburg" book) and the Napoleonic era in general I'm really lacking any knowledge of that time frame.

Recommendations?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cam Platell
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try the battle - a new history of Waterloo by A Barbero. A well balanced study of the battle by an Italian who has no bias towards the British, French or Prussians.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
Switzerland
Basel
Basel Stadt
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Capitaine Conan," by Roger Vercel (1934).
mbmbmbmbmb
Pete,

For me, the best book on the Napoleonic era is the magnificent "The Campaigns of Napoleon," by David Chandler.

A bit hefty, for sure, but worth its weight in gold as a reference. You might want to check it out at your local library to see if it's to your taste--it can be pricy.

Paul
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cpl. Fields
South Africa
Hopelessly Surrounded
Isandlwana, Zululand
flag msg tools
<insert something pithy here>
badge
<insert something clever here>
mbmbmbmbmb

I first read this when I was 12 or 13. It is still the most readable, exciting account of the battle I've ever read, and I treasure my hard-cover copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
olivier R
France
flag msg tools
Platell wrote:
Try the battle - a new history of Waterloo by A Barbero. A well balanced study of the battle by an Italian who has no bias towards the British, French or Prussians.

Seconded. Barbero's book is great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kanalja
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
'In Russia all roads lead to Moscow. One chooses the road one wishes. Charles XII chose the road through Poltava.'
mbmbmbmbmb
Waterloo Companion by Mark Adkin is pretty impressive.

http://www.amazon.com/Waterloo-Companion-Complete-Historys-F...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Korting
Netherlands
Hoorn
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed, the Barbero book is very good!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Long
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ibid
Chandler's book Campaigns of Nap
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Fung
United States
Old Greenwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For Waterloo, I always liked Al Nofi's The Waterloo Campaign from the Great Campaign series by Combined Books. It's a good introduction and a good read. I have The Battle but have yet to read it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Kahrl
United States
Unionville
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A fourth for Barbero's book, definitely worth it. Adkin's book is great to have if you want to spring for it -- the panorama shots in particular give you a strong sense of the ground. (Having been there, it's the next-best thing.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ROGER DEAL
United States
Oak Ridge
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Kenneth Deal WW 2 Belgium 1944/45
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are interested in fictional accounts, you can't beat the Sharpe books by Bernard Cornwell. The books are action/adventure but well written and researched.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete McNamara
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Everyone
Thanks for the recommendations. I really appreciate it. I picked up the Berbero book today and made a quick start. I'm enjoying it.

Now, I need a book for the whole era. It;s like reading a Gettysburg (or perhaps Appomattox) book without understanding the full context.

I am interested in some of the other recommendations but my library did not have them today.

cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Sutton
Australia
Moruya
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try - Waterloo, The battle of the 3 armies. Edited by Lord Chalfont. ISBN is

It is written in 3 parts by an English, a French and a Prussian historian. They tell the story of the battle from the point of view of their own armies.

I found the Prussian section extremely enlightening. This side of the tale had been underplayed in all my previous readings on the subject.

Well worth a read.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lexington
Kentucky
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pjmcnamara wrote:
Now, I need a book for the whole era. It;s like reading a Gettysburg (or perhaps Appomattox) book without understanding the full context.

Robert Harvey, "The War of Wars: The Epic Struggle Between Britain and France: 1789-1815"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John New
United States
Accokeek, Maryland/
New York, NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zuludawn wrote:

I first read this when I was 12 or 13. It is still the most readable, exciting account of the battle I've ever read, and I treasure my hard-cover copy.

This. An excellent starting point. My favorite quote about the battle (and Howarth's)is from a very small British private who, when asked about the battle, replied that he was hanged if he new anything about the affair, "for I was all day trodden in the mud and ridden over by every scoundrel who had a horse."

Also if you can come across a copy of Howarth's Guide to the battlefield (I bought mine at Waterloo 25 years ago) it's worth looking at as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilles Daquin
Japan
Tokyo
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ossessione wrote:
Waterloo Companion by Mark Adkin is pretty impressive.

http://www.amazon.com/Waterloo-Companion-Complete-Historys-F...

Bought it. Very well crafted, lots of pictures, text, research...

marredthumbsdown by more recent work including excellent book from Barbero (The Battle) thumbsup.

Waterloo Companion teaches you things that -to me- are also self-perpetuating myths and legends. Really a pity because the book does contain a lot of good stuff, but then you never quite know what is the work of the historian from the complacent approach of the enthusiast.

Interesting to read in parallel of Barbero's book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.