Hide
21 Posts

Betrayal at House on the Hill» Forums » General

Subject: Going out of print?? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim K
msg tools
Is this item going (has gone) out of print or something? It was around ~$50 on Amazon, now has jumped up to a ridiculous ~$180, and most places (other than eBay) are out of stock on it.

Was there an announcement somewhere that I missed?

Thanks,
Tim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Darrin
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, not at all. Remember, there's a big difference between out of stock and out of print. It may be between print runs right now, but have patience. It'll eventually make its way back to store shelves, although maybe not as fast as you would like. Dont get suckered by ebay or amazon cash grabbers trying to take advantage of the out of stock status.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K
msg tools
Thanks, Glenn. I thought that was probably the case, but thanks for confirming and putting my mind at ease. I guess around the holidays they can get away with it with some people. I can wait, I recently got Pandemic, and I have Forbidden Island, Resistance, and King of Tokyo coming today. (weee!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Ray

Memphis
Tennessee
msg tools
Test
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It just very recently went out of stock at Amazon. When I looked it up on Friday, it was $45. Saturday afternoon I placed my order, and it was at $49 with only 18 left in stock. Saturday evening it was sold out, with only a few copies left a third-party sellers.

It's just the craze from being on an episode of Tabletop! That's why I happened to look into it on Friday. Hopefully some will come be in stock for you soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Darrin
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rusray wrote:
It's just the craze from being on an episode of Tabletop! That's why I happened to look into it on Friday. Hopefully some will come be in stock for you soon!

I had forgotten about that but you probably hit the nail on the head there. Good call!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harold Douglas
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
It is the Wheaton effect. Before Betrayal aired on the web show Tabletop it was on my wish list for $37 on Amazon. Two weeks after it aired there are only 2 copies left for around $200. Same thing happened to me when I went to order the Gloom expansions. Had to wait for the company to print more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer Cole
msg tools
My buddy who runs my LGS contacted his distributor and they said they're going to be printing them early next year(he said January). So sit tight! They're on the way!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andres Cervantes
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
My store just got a shipment full of them. I don't know if anyone other store got theirs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley M
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Greatest Game Ever
mbmbmbmbmb
Came here to ask this.. I saw the few copies on here were listed fairly high and checked eBay to see then selling for crazy amounts..

So I listed mine for 65 with a bin of 92 and it sold and was paid for within an hour for the bin.

Guess I'll buy another when I goes back down!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Symonds
United States
Asheboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
See this thread:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1085562/price-gouging-on...

Betrayal designer is OP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Lavely
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The crazy price on Amazon could also be in part due to a tradition of price gouging by third-party sellers right before the holiday yuk I've seen a LOT of this lately with all kinds of items - if Amazon doesn't have it in stock, prices on all kinds of things can go sky-high right now. A video game that was $24 a few weeks ago when I picked it up is running $994 now, which is clearly ridiculous. Lego sets are also particularly susceptible to this, but really it's anything that someone could potentially be trying to get for some child for a gift, and that would include games I'd think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's partly the Wheaton effect, but also Halloween wasn't too long ago and according to my FLGS owner from Halloween until Christmas, Betrayal is a hot product. He sold 16 copies in the last two weeks of October alone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Grimes
msg tools
I just got off the phone with Wizards of the Coast and the official company line is "we have a reprint on schedule but we have not set a release date yet".

So like many others I put a reserve hold for it at my local shop so I don't have to keep checking online every day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Redfoot12
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
ramirez98 wrote:
I just got off the phone with Wizards of the Coast and the official company line is "we have a reprint on schedule but we have not set a release date yet".

So like many others I put a reserve hold for it at my local shop so I don't have to keep checking online every day.

Whoa! You spoke on the phone to an actual human rather than rely on internet message board speculation. I hope to learn from this... new way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Tesch
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Just called Wizards myself, thought I'd offer up a bit more information.

The customer service rep also mentioned a reprint 'soon' - when I delved further, asking if that meant this calendar year or on the 36 month long range corporate plan, he said they were expecting it in the next couple months, and then immediately mentioned that the unavailability was Wil Wheaton's fault :-D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mitchell

Valdosta
Georgia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Email Response from WoTC
I emailed WoTC with the same question and here was their response:

"Hello,
Thank you for contacting us with your question! Betrayal at house on the Hill is a game that we are currently supporting and manufacturing. If you are having difficulty finding this item our best recommendation would just be to keep checking the various outlets until a time they have more stock.
Please let us know if you have any further concerns.
Best regards"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Weaver
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Bought it today on Amazon for $60.00...Only 3 copies though.

I got SUPER LUCKY.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K
msg tools
So much for the reprint and the "sit tight" suggestions. Sorry, but it's going on almost 9 months since I posted that (let alone how long it's been out of print). Call me impatient if you'd like, but I've never seen an item in almost any other industry take so long to issue a reprint. (I'm sure there is something equally ridiculous out there I'm not recalling.)

Don't understand the mindset behind such a company ... how do they stay in business? Perhaps there isn't as much demand for this as I am perceiving?

Take care,
Tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Szymas
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
timoteo wrote:
So much for the reprint and the "sit tight" suggestions. Sorry, but it's going on almost 9 months since I posted that (let alone how long it's been out of print). Call me impatient if you'd like, but I've never seen an item in almost any other industry take so long to issue a reprint. (I'm sure there is something equally ridiculous out there I'm not recalling.)

Don't understand the mindset behind such a company ... how do they stay in business? Perhaps there isn't as much demand for this as I am perceiving?

Take care,
Tim

Uh, it was reprinted at the end of April, beginning of May. It's sold out now, so you missed it apparently.

Supposedly coming back in August again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K
msg tools
AndySzy wrote:
Uh, it was reprinted at the end of April, beginning of May. It's sold out now, so you missed it apparently.

Uh, if THAT was an actual REPRINT, that was beyond pathetic. Single-digit quantities available on Amazon is more like they found some in box at the back of a storage-closet, and shipped them out.

Thanks for the news on August though, Andy, I appreciate it ... although I won't be holding my breath.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Huang
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
timoteo wrote:
AndySzy wrote:

Uh, if THAT was an actual REPRINT, that was beyond pathetic. Single-digit quantities available on Amazon is more like they found some in box at the back of a storage-closet, and shipped them out.

Thanks for the news on August though, Andy, I appreciate it ... although I won't be holding my breath.

I know they were taking preorders at CSI for awhile, though I don't know how many they were able to get. It was definitely another print run, albeit much too small again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.