Stacie Winters
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I only played this game once (I have the Hordes version) and I have read a few threads on here on how certain elements of the game (Combat) are kind of... well... BLAND! ... and part of that is that this game has no real other kinds of cards except Resources and Units (and those one time use Warcasters) but this game needs an additional type of card and I think that if they included Spells into the game it would add a huge element to the game that could drastically make the game more fun.

Warcasters are magic users, using magic to control their warjacks. They can also cast some really cool spells in the game's setting (plus there are other types of casters also).

If they included Spells that had combat effects that people could play as part of combat In Addition to what we already have than maybe Combat wouldn't be soooooo.... BLAND!

And yes, overall, combat is BLAND! Just my opinion. I like the game, and I love how decks are built and how the game is set up and the different colors of units and so on but... there is just no real Ooomph in combat really.

But maybe that's because I have only played this game once, and with further plays I will see more depth to it. It's a possibility.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Major Havok
United States
Niles
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Hmm, I don't know. I read this when you posted it, played quite a few more games, and I'm back to reply.

My initial instinct back then was, "well, then I might as well play MTG". I guess my opinion has actually gotten stronger on this. We're still playing this game precisely because of how it differs from the card games we've been playing.

I like the effort required to win a location, usually an act your adversaries see coming turns in advance. And my gaming group is not familiar with Warmachine and have no interest in miniature gaming. So we're looking at this strictly as a card game.

My main complaint is lack of uniqueness to the units and armies. But I can't get on board with Instants/Spells.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Connell
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MirrorsNight wrote:
I only played this game once (I have the Hordes version) and I have read a few threads on here on how certain elements of the game (Combat) are kind of... well... BLAND! ... and part of that is that this game has no real other kinds of cards except Resources and Units (and those one time use Warcasters) but this game needs an additional type of card and I think that if they included Spells into the game it would add a huge element to the game that could drastically make the game more fun.

That's the first thing I said after I played the first time. I've love an 'instant' ability. Right now the combat is just blah. You know exactly how it's going to turn out before it starts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cook
United States
Hammond
Louisiana
flag msg tools
Being both a MTG player and a Warmahordes player, I can honestly say that I've been a bit disappointed in the game as well, even though I love the entire concept and most of the mechanics. I'm always willing to play it, but it's a hard sell for my gaming group because the game is missing that special touch. Capturing points is extremely difficult, and it's close to impossible for some factions to win against the Lockdown/VP crawl strategy of Khador. I agree with the OP and others on this thread that combat is a bit meh (at times), and each detachment in every faction should have access to at least one "instant-speed" ability. Some could have combat tricks or protection spells, others could have some form of removal. Either way, DC and Will should really consider using their expansions to give just a bit more strategy to each faction--and soon--if they hope to keep this game alive. Otherwise, it will be collecting dust on my shelf because I will have no one to play with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Box of Delights
United Kingdom
Neston
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
Visit me at www.boxofdelights.net
mbmbmbmbmb
There are more "instant-type" effects in the expansions - e.g. cards that let you play cards from your hand, without cost, if a particular situation arises. e.g. Captain Rengrave can deploy a revenant card from your hand.

Does that feel more dynamic ?

There are also more effects that allow you to move army cards around, so the locations area becomes a bit more dynamic as well.

I'll be posting a couple of videos tonight to show the cards from the latest two mini-expansions. I'll do the same for Hordes as well at some point...

best wishes, Rick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.