Popular Tags: [View All]
Dusty S
United States
Cheney
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In his video review, Rahdo made the statement that because of it's reduced play time and reduced player downtime, nations had replaced Through the Ages for him. These are the very reasons that in spite of me rating TtA quite high here on BGG, I eventually got rid of it.
So I was wondering if others felt the same way.

Feel free to comment as well as take the poll

Poll
Which statement represents how you feel?
Nations has replaced Through the Ages for me
Nations might get more plays, but I still like TtA better
I like both games
Nations does not replace Through the Ages for me
I have not played one or both of these games (why am I voting?)
Other (feel free the specify)
      205 answers
Poll created by Archon313
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nations has replaced TtA for me, but not because it's a better game. It is simply a better fit for the sort of game *I* enjoy. TtA still offers a different experience and there's no reason that anyone can't continue to enjoy playing it many times in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Both games are really great, elegant and impressive designs.

From now on, I will roll 1d6 to decide:

1 - 3: play TtA
4 - 6: play Nations

meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
A fan of new Knizia games
mbmbmbmbmb
The quick play time claim surprised me. We play both in about the same time.

Nations is more interactive due to the impulse/action mechanic, rather than sitting around watching the other governments taking 10 actions each before you get a turn again.

Also, Nations feels more tactical, as you are constantly involved in mini battles for the end of round rewards, so you are much more interested with what your opponents are doing.

I think both of these features makes Nations feel quicker. It may still be, slightly.

Room for both in the collection, at the moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoshi
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wanted to answer the poll but the third and fourth options are basically the same, or at least 4 is ambigous. Saying that Nations has not replaced TtA could either mean that I like TtA better and Nations will not replace it, so Nation will not get played. 4 can also mean Nations did not replace TtA because they are different games and therefore one can not replace the other, they are played "for different reasons".

I like both games and I do not think they are very similar at all. I get why people might think they are similar before playing them, both are Civ building games and both have a display of progress cards that are bought. Other than that I find them quite different.

TtA is a lot "harder" and demands more from the players. I could not play TtA with some of the groups I play with, since it would be to heavy for them. Nations on the other hand worked perfectly, everone understood it quickly and had fun, the barrier is much lower. However, if I am with the right group I'd love to play TtA, but I could also play Nations with that same group, depending on our mood at the moment.

So my answer is: I like both games, they are different, one does not replace the other (3?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Rohrer
United States
Medina
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This poll should have waited until a month after the game is released here in the US.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dusty S
United States
Cheney
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevin Rohrer wrote:
This poll should have waited until a month after the game is released here in the US.

I guess I was trying to get some early opinions on the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Hamrick
United States
Rocky Mount
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I voted "Other." I have not played Nations, and own TtA. However, we never play TtA in our group because it is a) too long and 2) too fiddly - with way too many pieces and things to keep up with. Thus, we believe that Nations will solve those problems. So, I agree with Rahdo, though i haven't played Nations! May be unfounded reasons, but am anxious to test it. If we play it 2 times - it will get more plays than TtA.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Pauly
Germany
Goettingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This Poll is biased because is is posted in a specific game forum and the game is currently "hot". Just keep that in mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dusty S
United States
Cheney
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
squidy wrote:
This Poll is biased because is is posted in a specific game forum and the game is currently "hot". Just keep that in mind.

It's posted in the specific game forum as this game is the newer of the two and at least in my opininon, is more likely to contain a higher concentration of people who have played BOTH games.
It certainly wasn't meant to be the end all of comparison polls for the two games, especially considering I put it together while half-asleep.
But what it does do is give me an idea of what some people think of this new game compared to one I am quite familiar with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Rohrer
United States
Medina
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
squidy wrote:

The poll is biased because Nations is not yet in most gamers' hands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Camp
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PzVIE wrote:

meeple

1-2: play TtA
3-6: play Nations

Fixed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
DCamp1976 wrote:
PzVIE wrote:

meeple

1-2: play TtA
3-6: play Nations

Fixed

Taking the Cult of the New into account, I can live with that meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petri Savola
Finland
Espoo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nations is very easy to teach and it's more forgiving for new players than TtA. If I have a group of experienced TtA players, I'd definitely play TtA. If I would have to teach rules anyway, I'd choose Nations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riku Koskinen
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heh, I planned to post the same thing as Petri above. TtA is a wonderful game and I have no plan to sell it now that I bought Nations. But, teaching TtA even to veteran boardgamers can be a bit painful, so I'm quite happy to have this similar game with far less rules details I can show to anyone.

The biggest difference between these games is how the rounds are played. In TtA you get your turn and you can optimize how to use your actions from the start. In Nations you may have a rough plan what you want to do each round but so much depends on what others pick or build that your plan changes throughout the round, like in Agricola. Your first pick card may even turn out quite useless in some cases, but that's the beauty of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played TTA two or three times - each time it was the introductory game, each time it took an age to hammer through the rules, each time it hurt more than it ought to, and each time left us with the feeling that if we didn't get the game back to the table soon, the leading exercise was wasted. And we never did. I'm still largely in the dark as to how tolay TTA, and I'm unlikely to ever play it again.

Whereas Nations was simple enough to learn and play that my 11-year old daughter has made a decent stab at it, can be picked up and played by players of different experience and ability levels, and as a result I've already played it as often as I ever did TTA (two or three times) and look forward to the next game of it sometime soon (probably this weekend, in fact).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
KissaTaikuri wrote:
My group will decide based on the number of players:

4 players = TTA
5 players = Nations

Explain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
she2 wrote:
KissaTaikuri wrote:
My group will decide based on the number of players:

4 players = TTA
5 players = Nations

Explain.

I'd agree. At 4p TTA is still the better game, but it doesn't support 5.

Nations is clearly better at 1 and 5 by default. Honestly, TTA is better at 2-4, but it's a heavier more strategic game. Nations is much more reactive and tactical. It's a lighter ruleset for a lighter crowd, but nonetheless very enjoyable. I own and enjoy both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.