Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Collins
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am interested in this game, but am still "on the fence" due to the game ending in rebellion and all players lose (except the separatist, if in play). I was wondering about the following "Feldian" variant: instead of a rebel victory ending the game, all players who did not contribute to quell the rebellion earn a punishment marker of negative 1 or 2 points (having not played the game, I am not sure which is appropriate) and then the game continues. This way the game does not end because of rebellion, but will punish those who do not or choose to not support the efforts to appease the revolt. I imagine that this could create additional motivation to negotiate with those who can afford to satisfy the rebellion, rather than ending the game prematurely. Anyway, I would appreciate thoughts from those of you who are familiar with the game.

Jeff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Regs
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Afraid I don't like this idea.

As a basic concept it seems to me that you are potentially penalizing players who have a poor board position (through inexperience or poor choices with tile draw/placement). IE: Players who don't contribute to crisis because they don't have the resources.

Also consider the 'Benefactor' goal card. This card provides VP to the players who contributed the most to crisis across the entire game. This seems to accomplish what you are aiming for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rollo Tomosi
United States
San Juan Capistrano
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Play the game however you wish-everyone else does. There is NO unified ruleset for this game....only an approximation for/from each and every household/user group....if you want to play it that way-you will be as correct as everyone else.

j41c wrote:
I am interested in this game, but am still "on the fence" due to the game ending in rebellion and all players lose (except the separatist, if in play). I was wondering about the following "Feldian" variant: instead of a rebel victory ending the game, all players who did not contribute to quell the rebellion earn a punishment marker of negative 1 or 2 points (having not played the game, I am not sure which is appropriate) and then the game continues. This way the game does not end because of rebellion, but will punish those who do not or choose to not support the efforts to appease the revolt. I imagine that this could create additional motivation to negotiate with those who can afford to satisfy the rebellion, rather than ending the game prematurely. Anyway, I would appreciate thoughts from those of you who are familiar with the game.

Jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While I think this is a really bad game, I've gotta say this idea would ruin the point of those crises. These are to serve as a catch up mechanism for those who feel they're behind. Those who feel they're winning will be inclined to take the burden on themselves to not allow the game to end. Further punishing those in behind will just make a runaway leader. Also, what do negative points matter to someone in perceived last place?

I'd say play the game before trying to house rule it. It'll allow you to see why the mechanisms are there a little more.

As a note, some people think what I described above makes a good game, I think it makes a good experience, but not a good game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Walker
United States
North Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
So many douchebags, so few bullets.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dark_Knight wrote:
Play the game however you wish-everyone else does. There is NO unified ruleset for this game....only an approximation for/from each and every household/user group....if you want to play it that way-you will be as correct as everyone else.

You just refuse to give it a rest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eoin Corrigan
Ireland
Wexford
Wexford
flag msg tools
designer
ASL Fanatic
badge
Royal Dublin Fusiliers "Spectamur Agendo"
mbmbmbmbmb
While I'm all for players tailoring any game to their own needs, I think it might be best to play a couple of games using the rebellion mechanic as written, not least because the gameplay dynamics of operation of the mechanic may not 100% obvious solely from a reading of the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, this is a bad change (and I love Feld games). the game is right as it is, this is a very important catch-up mechanism.

Also, once you have played the game once/twice then rebellion is very rare (far too rare in fact!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Collins
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So it appears... I did order it to play solo, in the case it does not go over very well with the group. Hopefully, it is not as big a deal, because i am intrigued by so much of the game, except this one issue.

Thanks for all the replies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Collins
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did play my first game the other night and agree that my inexperienced proposal would not improve the experience. Interesting game, as i was one less rebel away from ending the game earlier than expected as i held the pacifist objective. I did not fair well overall, but thought the game went well with the group. Looking forward to playing again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.